Quantcast

I need some pedals.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I just got a Cross Check - the complete version - and need to get some new pedals for it. It's going to be my around town bike to replace my car, as well as for putting in some longer miles for training. I probably won't want to go clipless when running errands, but will when I go on other rides, so I think some sort of platform/clipless combo is going to be the best option. Obviously it's a compromise, but I don't want to deal with swapping pedals.

I had Candy SL pedals until they were stolen recently, and liked those, so I was thinking about a set of mallets. However, the spin bikes at the gym are SPD/Look compatible, and it might be nice to have something compatible with them.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB

Shimano A520 or A530? Not SPD-SL but rather SPD, with a decent but sleek platform...they are pretty popular with the recreational and touring crowd.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Those Shimanos like like a good bet. Most DH-type clipless pedals that have a cage won't feel that good if you have normal shoes on. I don't know of any Look/SPD-SL pedals that would work without clipless shoes on. I certainly wouldn't want to wear normal shoes with a set of Looks...

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder

Shimano A520 or A530? Not SPD-SL but rather SPD, with a decent but sleek platform...they are pretty popular with the recreational and touring crowd.
They look pretty good. SPD seems like a better option than SPD-SL because it will allow me to use the same pedals and shoes for this and my mountain bike.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
They look pretty good. SPD seems like a better option than SPD-SL because it will allow me to use the same pedals and shoes for this and my mountain bike.
Yeah, that's key for me. I've got like 7 bikes or so, about a dozen pairs of pedals, and only a couple pairs of cycling-specific shoes. :rolleyes:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I went ahead and bought them. I also picked up a new saddle, a rack, panniers, flashlight to use as a headlight, and a tail light. I thought bikes were supposed to be less expensive than cars.