Quantcast

I officially have lost all respect for Lance.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
JMAC said:
:mumble: I mean WTF he goes on about in his book. How it's important to let other ppl win stages when he's in the lead. Kloden should have one **** Armstrong that was just cheap of him and I hope all the worste for him in the rest of the Tour. ARgh rant over for now. :mumble: Go ahead shut me down but Lance is a hipocrit
You never had any respect for him to lose. You've been slagging him since your first post about him. I thought it was a brilliant move to step on that baby Simeoni. Simeoni claimed something he had no proof for, Lance called him a liar a year later, and Simeoni sues him. Who sues someone for calling him a liar? Gimme a break. I'll bet the rest of the peloton was laughing at Simeoni's predicament today. I was.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I didn't read the whole thread, but was I the only one who saw Armstrong push Landis across the King of the Mountains line after Landis tried to drop back, in order to give Lance the points? If Lance hadn't chased down Kloden, that would have been a big "F* you!/ :nuts: " after all the hard work that Landis did. It would have been cool to see Landis win, but at least a postie crossed the line first. There were only 2 people who deserved to win. Landis and Lance. A pair like that doesn't bust there asses in order to give away the win.

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
jaydee said:
Simeoni claimed something he had no proof for, Lance called him a liar a year later, and Simeoni sues him. Who sues someone for calling him a liar? Gimme a break. I'll bet the rest of the peloton was laughing at Simeoni's predicament today. I was.
Actually, Simeoni did not say anything that he didn't have proof for...unless recounting his own clinical relationship with Dr. Ferrari isn't what you would call proof that Ferrari is Dr. Dope. Simeoni testified in court that Ferrari prescribed him EPO and adriole (sp?) a form of testosterone. Lance happens to haver a clinical relationship with Dr. Ferrari as well. Simeoni never called Lance a doper...Lance decided to open his trap and speak out against Simeoni, calling him a liar and accusing him of trying to ruin the sport of cycling. How testifying against a Dr. who contributes to the doping problem is ruining the sport, is beyond comprehension. Lance is trying to protect the Dr. or maybe himself from what the doctor may know or could reveal about Lance under threat of criminal prosecution?

Face it Lance is no golden boy, he was clearly being petty.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
jaydee said:
Who sues someone for calling him a liar? Gimme a break. I'll bet the rest of the peloton was laughing at Simeoni's predicament today. I was.
Well umm Armstrong does, he sued those authors of the LA confidencial for defamation same thing Simeoni is suing Lance for.
Either way it's stupid but still Jan Ullrich is the classiest rider in the peloton just as the OLN reporters said. :eviltongu

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
JMAC said:
Well umm Armstrong does, he sued those authors of the LA confidencial for defamation same thing Simeoni is suing Lance for.
Either way it's stupid but still Jan Ullrich is the classiest rider in the peloton just as the OLN reporters said. :eviltongu
I'm all for style and good taste but yellow trumps all.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
JMAC said:
I like Jan a lot too, but because he's human, not because he's classy. Getting drunk and driving over bicycles or getting busted for E are not classy acts. But he is always honest and doesn't lay on any kind of attitude.

As for the Lance thing, Lance sued those guys for publishing a book suggesting that he was a doper, which is not at all the same as suing someone that you have accused of doping and who then says, "You lied, I am not a doper".

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
jaydee said:
I like Jan a lot too, but because he's human, not because he's classy. Getting drunk and driving over bicycles or getting busted for E are not classy acts. But he is always honest and doesn't lay on any kind of attitude.

As for the Lance thing, Lance sued those guys for publishing a book suggesting that he was a doper, which is not at all the same as suing someone that you have accused of doping and who then says, "You lied, I am not a doper".

Yeah but both guys are suing for defamation so the what they are suing is the same in a way. Over all it was an interresting TdF even though all the big names seemed to die except for LAnce who was just so much better nobody was even racing for first place after they got to the mountains. Voeckler, and Kloden I think where the best thing to happen to the tour in awhile.

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
u rightfuly can't bash lance the mans a legand, all u have to say is "lance" and pretty much everyone who has any means of connection to the out side world know what u are talking about, even people who aren't able to correctly draw a bike know who u are talking about.

radbradus

Chimp
Jul 10, 2004
lance wanted landis to attack @ the end and win - landis didn't have the legs so lance kept it postal - armstrong rules !!! why let either german win when they both ride for t-mobile?

radbradus

Chimp
Jul 10, 2004
t-mobile barely edged postal out for team classification winner . lance went for the win cause he is a winner and he wanted it more , would anybody expect anything less?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
It's a race ferrchrissakes. You don't "let" your competition win for ANY reason, you destroy their bodies and spirits at every opportunity.
That is the difference between men like Eddie and Lance who are true champions and the Captain Irrelivants of the world.

You'd never hear a real champion say that his opponent should have given him the win. A true champion will ask no quarter, nor will he give it.

Trailhead

Chimp
Mar 5, 2002
Sacramento, CA
In the Lance Chronicles, when deciding whether to chase down Kloden,
he "remembered all the loogies to the face" from the German fans during the Alpe d’Huez time trial, then decided that no, he couldn't let Kloden win.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Trailhead said:
In the Lance Chronicles, when deciding whether to chase down Kloden,
he "remembered all the loogies to the face" from the German fans during the Alpe d’Huez time trial, then decided that no, he couldn't let Kloden win.
Loogies in the face?
Way to go German fans........classy.

I hope Lance races the TDF again, and DESTROYS and HUMILIATES the competiton.

cycleman

Chimp
Aug 1, 2004
Simeoni never accused Lance of doping, so Lance wasn't saying "You Lied, I'm not a doper" as Jaydee suggests. Lance is clearly an amazing cyclist and while I think it is possible that he could have doped I think you have to consider him innocent until proven guilty - or at least until there's some real evidence. As for his attitude, I'm not against him being competitive and of course he was entitled to outsprint Kloden - it was an amazing sprint, although personally I would have loved to have seen Kloden win a stage. But there are other things about Lance I don't like. He seems to divide the world into friends and enemies. I'm sure he let Basso win that stage (because they're mates) so the ultimate competitor thing doesn't quite explain his determination to beat Kloden in the later stage. I can appreciate he was angry with some of the German fans so didn't want to give them anythign to celebrate. But listening to Lance and Floyd afterwards (and even more to some of the aggressive people on here), it was like Ulrich had done something wrong by not letting Floyd win the stage - which was ridiculous, he needed the 20 second bonus to close time on Armstrong, they could hardly have not had a go. And he hadn't exactly been "pulled" up the hill by Floyd - Floyd had been brilliantly working for Amstrong (as is his job) by keeping the pace so high that Ulrich and Kloden couldn't attack Lance on the climb, he wasn't helping Jan and Kloden. But all this is less important than the Simeoni thing which was pathetic bullying. And what first made me dubious about him was the absurdly petty way he made that statement last year about it being Hamilton not Ulrich who decided to wait for him. Clearly he was technically correct about this (Ulrich clearly hadn't thought about attacking or waiting yet when Hamilton said to wait, so we'll never really know what he might have done) but the point is that Ulrich did the right thing and did wait in the end and it was incredibly childish of Lance to say what he did. Once again, to him it seems only a personal friend, team-mate, or ex-team-mate can be worthy of praise. And he didn't need to criticise Jan in order to praise Tyler Hamilton for his role.
All respect for Lance for his achievement though. I've had my doubts in the past about him (because of the strength of his team etc) but this year he was clearly much the best. As Jan, who leaving aside his illness in the Pyrenees is Lance's closest competitor by a long stretch, has admitted, even when he was back to form, he still lost a minute to Lance on both timetrials. If Heras, Mayo, Hamilton etc hadn't disappeared so completely it would have been much harder for him because while he may have the beating of them all it would have been hard work worrying about them all the whole time as well as Basso, Ulrich etc but its difficult to imagine he wouldn't have won.

cycleman

Chimp
Aug 1, 2004
Also, I have to say that I found Basso's attitude (or, I should proably say, that of his manager, Rjis) very disapointing when Jens Voigt (not his fault of course, despite the stupid criticism he got) was asked to chase down Ulrich's attack. This was a boring tactic and clearly showed that CSC where only interested in finishing second. If they'd been willing to dare to challenge Lance overall then they would have used Ulrich's challenge to put pressure on Lance and US Postal who would have had to have done the work of catching Ulrich alone. Part of the difficulty with holding the yellow jersey is being everyone's target but CSC's tactics - along with the disapearance of Hamilton, Mayo and Heras (has anyone heard an explanation by the way for Heras's performance?) - made it easier for Lance. Part of Lance's success is due to the fact that no-one except Ulrich dares to think they can beat him.