Quantcast

I PSP'd the corner...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
First off, I wasn't going overly fast and had the traction control on (I turn it off when goofing). The roads were icy in the morning, but at 11:30 things had warmed up a little. I was on my way back from the chiropractor enjoying the sunny drive. This is what happened:

It's a 90 degree right hander that's basically flat. As I hit the apex of the turn, there was a large patch of gravel from the morning. The ass end starts to slide out to the left. I ease off the gas, car corrects exiting the turn (moving to the right) and just as I get square there is a patch of ice about 10' long where a tall tree had shaded the road. Hit the ice, ass end slides further right. The moment my tires hit dry un-graveled pavement, traction control hooks the tires and I shoot straight into the ditch at about a 45 degree angle.

Rolled once and stopped. Engine still running, everything in the car is all over the inside of the car. I put it in park, shut off the motor, open the door and assessed the damage.

Roof didn't touch nor did the passenger door. Clean roll, I guess, or the ditch helped with clearance. I will go by the body shop and get some more pictures. But from the sound of the ajuster on Friday it will likely be a total loss due to parts availability for a 19 year old Corvette.

The roof is destroyed by my overly large head and I have a nice lump on the side of my head from the upper door frame. No other injuries except my pride. I do think the traction control is what helped kick my ass. Had it been off I could have drifted the corner a bit better, maybe hit the field across the street rather than the ditch on the far side.

I was actually planning to sell it this Spring to finish the truck. Not sure if I will use the insurance money to replace it, buy it back to part out for the truck as originally planned (I bought it to cut up at first), or just get something different all together.

Teh suck.

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Glad you're Ok. Cut it up for parts like you originally planned, weren't you going to use all the suspension for your truck as well? Are the suspension components still usable? Considering the crash, maybe suspension (or handling) from another car might be in order.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ouch . That sux. Did the copperrs site you for failing to maintain control of vehicle?
Nope, sheriff said that an hour earlier the whole stretch from the corner through the straight was iced over and he could see the patch I hit when he drove up about 5 minutes after it happened. Good thing, too because the Sherwood cop commented on the fact there was NO ice when he rolled up 30 minutes later.

Had I been 10 minutes later, it would have been clear. No fault other than too much power for too little traction. Timing is a bitch.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Try it now!

Sorry, somebody had to say it. That said, I'm glad you're OK and hopefully the insurance company cuts you a decent check to help lessen the sting.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The plan was to use engine/trans/front suspension/rear axle/brakes. I will cut her up if the buy back isn't outrageous. KBB says $8500-$9500, I paid $4k so I should do ok if it's a loss. There are a few for sale right now, but it just wouldn't be the same.

Besides, I have to buy/build my daughters first car (2000 C5 chassis under a '70 Stingray body) in 4 more years, so the truck needs to get done sooner rather than later. :rofl:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
A buddy of mine rolled his Cherokee when we were in high school. Got a check from the insurance for the value, about 8k, then we went to the scrap yard where the jeep was hauled to and for 350 bucks they let us take off whatever we could pull in a day. We got the entire lift kit, both axles, transfer case, all 4 wheels with brand new 35" tires, drive shafts, exhaust, seats, audio, almost everything save the engine and he made another 4-5k selling the parts. He used all the money to buy a 67 Bronco that we ended up rebuilding from the frame up, all with the money from the rolled Cherokee. Sometimes accidents have a weird way or working out in the long run.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A buddy of mine rolled his Cherokee when we were in high school. Got a check from the insurance for the value, about 8k, then we went to the scrap yard where the jeep was hauled to and for 350 bucks they let us take off whatever we could pull in a day. We got the entire lift kit, both axles, transfer case, all 4 wheels with brand new 35" tires, drive shafts, exhaust, seats, audio, almost everything save the engine and he made another 4-5k selling the parts. He used all the money to buy a 67 Bronco that we ended up rebuilding from the frame up, all with the money from the rolled Cherokee. Sometimes accidents have a weird way or working out in the long run.
Its both sad and funny. I had just put a plan together to fix the few little things with the intent to sell it in the Spring. On Thursday I was at LKQ looking at random parts and they had a low mile LS1 in there. It was already sold, so I asked "How often to you get these in?"

His reply: "Any time someone has a bad day in a Vette..." I laughed at the thought of a bad day. The day before I rolled mine. :(

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The weird thing is I don't recall rolling. I recall the "oh sh!t" moment and braced for shock (both hands on the wheel, feet planted) as I hit the blackberries, I recall sh!t flying everywhere, but I thought it was just a bump and slide until I walked through the scene with the Sheriff. The grass in the rear quarter and dirt in the wheel are the indicators of of touch down and lift off.

<edit>
The trucker bomb stuck in the grass still makes me lol. :rofl:

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Sucks, but at least you're in one piece. Cars are replaceable, the Official Meat of Ridemonkey is not, glad you're okay. :thumb:

*Edit: +Rep for thread title.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. It sucks and sucks a lot, but considering my back is BETTER than it was and all I got was a bump on the head, I consider myself pretty lucky.

My horoscope today is :rofl:

Libra: You're still having fun, even if the weather is nasty -- you just feel lifted by something welling up within you. It's a really good time for you to appreciate just how great you really have it.
<edit> I was going to go with "I ___ the corner" but decided to call it like it is.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Well, you're here to be with your daughter, and in the grand scheme of things, that's all that matters.....
While my daughter will miss my car more than I, you are so right on so many levels. We did have a lot of fun in Marceline and while the car might be gone forever, we have each other and the memories will live on.

Weekend before last we were playing on Skyline (runs along the west hills of downtown) on the way back from TKD. Around every corner Maddie was making tire screech noises. :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
$12k just in bodywork, didn't even get to the frame and chassis but are WELL over the total loss threshold. I will take a closer look when I get my crap out of it today. Not sure what the next steps are, but the shop sent everything over to the insurance company this morning and I hope to hear something soon.

Seems OEM C4 parts are non existant and recycled parts are sketchy at best. If you crash one, there isn't much left to recycle I guess. :rofl:

:dead:

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I guess I know about as much about cars as I do humor.
ftfy.

Miata = sporty car
Corvette = sports car

There is a difference. A Corvette is purchased to cure a mans midlife crisis, a Miata is purchased for your daughter to drive to college.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ftfy.

Miata = sporty car
Corvette = sports car

There is a difference. A Corvette is purchased to cure a mans midlife crisis, a Miata is purchased for your daughter to drive to college.
lots of people would argue the definition of "sports" car, but I'm glad to hear you're OK. Shirt happens.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
lots of people would argue the definition of "sports" car...
And 90% of them would agree a Miata isn't a sports car. Yes, you can make them fast blah, blah, blah. But they are a toy, seriously. Any car I can wear as a shoe is a toy. :rofl:

My neighbor has one and his son build one for SCCA. I still laugh every time he revs it up. It's like a Shriner car.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
That's pretty how much how I define it. To me, the Miata and FR-S/BRZ twins are just about the definition of sports cars.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
How easily do these so-called 'sports cars' flip after hitting some black ice?
Enough of these esoteric descriptions, let's compare some facts.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
How easily do these so-called 'sports cars' flip after hitting some black ice?
Enough of these esoteric descriptions, let's compare some facts.
I would bet the Miata is WAY more prone to flipage compared to the track width of the Vette. My rear tires were 315/40-17's, quite a bit of contact patch with a 10" wide wheel. Plus the CG is a bit better. One reason the Miata is so good at auto-x is the turning radius is crazy tight compared to the sh!t radius of the Vette. Get the Vette on a road course and forget about it.

Braaaaap!

<edit> Not to mention me and a big friend could flip a Miata in a parking lot. :rofl:

Last edited: