Quantcast

I think it's time to go back to school. but what should I major in?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
meh, my job is coming to a quick end so I need to do something.

being a student sounds cool but I have no idea what I should take. If I think about what intrests me, well, I won't be taking anything. at least, nothing that will get me a paying job.

got any suggestions?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Tenchiro said:
You should major in keeping a job.

:monkey:
yea, well I can always fall back on my drug dealing skills.

art history, librarian and the like don't pay. plus, I'm not a pvssy. :monkey: oh wait, yes I am. :oink:

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
3D graphic design.

good money (work for the gov), lots of fun, cool stuff to learn

start off by downloading Maya PLE on the Maya website for free, or blender or go get Bryce

I majored in Fine Art in college

self taught 3D artist/ Graphic design

I now make a pretty decent living in the DC area.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Seriously, though. If you get a degree and have some experience already, you will get a job regardless of what your major is. Most people don't seem to actually use their degree for its intended purpose anyways. Well, it's nice to tell myself that since I am majoring in geography and christian studies.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
MudGrrl said:
3D graphic design.

good money (work for the gov), lots of fun, cool stuff to learn

start off by downloading Maya PLE on the Maya website for free, or blender or go get Bryce

I majored in Fine Art in college

self taught 3D artist/ Graphic design

I now make a pretty decent living in the DC area.

good suggestion. I have bryce 4 on the shelve behind me right now.... :evil:

no way in hell i'm moving to D.C. though. :D

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Hey! I have a degree in Finance.........

That whole land baron thing ain't working out for me, though.

I'm a lowly IT hack now.

-S.S.-
Interesting. We had an IT guy here at work who was laid off about 2 years ago. At the time, he was living in a crappy little Westminster cookie-cutter house. Using his finance knowledge he now owns over $1M in property and has recently dropped over $40K in renovating a house for himself in the capital hill area. And the house is only halfway done. Bastard.

He's coming over to my house next week to talk finance and real estate... :devil:

J

JRB

Math seems really popular here on the monkey. Not a fan, but looks like a bunch of folks are.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
do something interesting to you. if you like science there's a bunch of cool things you could do with it. i can't speak for any of the "fluffy" majors tho :D heh

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
imo, the only majors with the best chances of getting you a job in the same field are:

engineering
anything computer related
accounting

the rest, dont necesarily train you for an specific job.
that said, finance is a good backbone, not to hard, and will give you knowledge to make a few bucks and manage your money better down the road, whatever road you choose.

if i was 16 again, i would major in finances, or marketing. easy, lots of girls, and you will give you the tools to start your own business. unfortunately i´m an engineering major. though i hope i can do an mba after engineering.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
ALEXIS_DH said:
imo, the only majors with the best chances of getting you a job in the same field are:

engineering
anything computer related
accounting

the rest, dont necesarily train you for an specific job.
that said, finance is a good backbone, not to hard, and will give you knowledge to make a few bucks and manage your money better down the road, whatever road you choose.

if i was 16 again, i would major in finances, or marketing. easy, lots of girls, and you will give you the tools to start your own business. unfortunately i´m an engineering major. though i hope i can do an mba after engineering.
Just to stress what I was talking about before, my father went to RPI (engineering school in Troy, NY if you have never heard of it) and majored in civil engineering. Aside from a few years with the Man building roads, he never used it for its intended purpose. None of his friends from school are still engineers or were actually engineers for a really considerable amount of time. They all used their degrees for related jobs in other fields.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I want to go to school to become an assasin. I want to kill people yet don't want to deal with military type authority. I guess I could just try getting a job at a tobacco company or McDonalds.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
I'd say go for landscape design. If you do it in a place that has Winters you get to relax then and you don't have to be stuck be hind a desk all the time.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I say get a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. Screw doing something you like, do something that is in demand and pays well. Stay far a away from computers, the industry is all about offshore talent or low pay anymore.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Pool about a 1million $ buy up old and very large houses that are crapped out. Renovate them into condos and sell them for huge profit. You can do it in some places with an 8 month turn around.

pixelninja said:
Interesting. We had an IT guy here at work who was laid off about 2 years ago. At the time, he was living in a crappy little Westminster cookie-cutter house. Using his finance knowledge he now owns over $1M in property and has recently dropped over $40K in renovating a house for himself in the capital hill area. And the house is only halfway done. Bastard.

He's coming over to my house next week to talk finance and real estate... :devil:
Owns or is making payments on? There's a difference between kiting yourself into a corner prior to your personal collapse and actually making money...
JRogers said:
Just to stress what I was talking about before, my father went to RPI (engineering school in Troy, NY if you have never heard of it) and majored in civil engineering. Aside from a few years with the Man building roads, he never used it for its intended purpose. None of his friends from school are still engineers or were actually engineers for a really considerable amount of time. They all used their degrees for related jobs in other fields.
BUT they all probably got started in the field in which they received their degree. A degree in art history, English, or geography will be of very little help trying to snag an entry level job in another discipline.

J

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I went with History and Biology, but now I'm looking to apply to graduate school for next fall in order to do something that interests me (architecture, engineering, or more history). They're alright for teaching and some other entry level stuff, but nothing that interests me.

Actually library science might be one to consider, my mom just got a master's degree in it, and from what I hear they really need people. And the pay is fairly decent (most of the jobs she was looking at were paying around $70k). Plus, how cool would it be to say that you're a librarian?