Quantcast

I wanna convert

May 2, 2006
on my bike...
I want to be a better dirt jumper/street. I want to know if I can convert my Hardrock Pro to a single speed. My deraillur has broken 4 times already and its pissing me off.:rant: Also i will post pictures of my bike to show what the frame looks like and if I can covert.

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
you can convert that no problem single speed is nice throw on some profile or profile wanna be (diety) cranks and just ride more street. A smaller/more street style frame would be nice but if you just wanna convert get away from the aluminum cranks. Everything else is fine.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
you can convert that no problem single speed is nice throw on some profile or profile wanna be (diety) cranks and just ride more street. A smaller/more street style frame would be nice but if you just wanna convert get away from the aluminum cranks. Everything else is fine.

way to completley ignore the question...

:bonk:

The best way to convert would be to get one of the many Conversion kits, like a gusset 1'er. This is esentially two large spacers and a SS cog that are meant to fit on your 9spd spaced hub. The other thing you will need is a tensioner. many choices there too, but some examples are Rennen, DMR, surly...

I would just go to the local shop and see what they say, and check out your options.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
in my opinion get the rennen over the surly. I haven't ridden the dmr one, but the surly sucks and the rennen doesn't.

And get a normal front sprocket that was designed to run by itself and not in a shifter. You'll get tired of chunkin the chain and eatin **** otherwise.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
And get a normal front sprocket that was designed to run by itself and not in a shifter. You'll get tired of chunkin the chain and eatin **** otherwise.
True dat, or at least make sure the chain is REAL tight, which you can't really do with a tensioner. Even with a bit of slack, shimano/sram/any ring with shift ramps can do the dirty on you with no warning. I've been there, and OWWW!

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yeah, converting to SS is fairly simple. I just did mine and used the Wheels Mfg conversion kit. Here's all you need to do it yourself:

- SS conversion kit with cog
- A dedicated single speed sprocket like those guys are talking about (not necessary, but definitely recommended)
- Some type of chain tensioner (homemade or off the shelf)
- Tools (chain tool, cassette remover, chain whip)

And you should be good. I think you'll love the single speed. Go for it!! :cool:

May 2, 2006
on my bike...
thanks guys. i am probably goin to the bike shop anyway to get a new bottom bracket and maybe some cranks, and i will ask about a cog and a good single speed sprocket. Another question is where could i get a conversion kit to single speed? Also what do you mean by chain tensioner? Last is that if any of you guys have this stuff and would like to sell it let me know:biggrin:

May 2, 2006
on my bike...
i looked on jensonusa and found this, would this work?
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CS611B00-Gusset+Single+Speed+Conversion+Kit.aspx

and i found a singlerator? would this be better then a homemade one...cause i dont know how to make one
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/RD707Y01-Surly+Singleator.aspx

also when i get a chain ring would i need to get one with ramps or without? Here is one without...and if this isnt a good one let me know
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CG602A03-Blackspire+Mono+Veloce+Chainring.aspx

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
that gusset ss conversion kit works well.

That surly singleator is lacking. I've ridden one and it wasn't worth the hair on my balls. The main problem i had was keeping the spring tension holding my chain tight. It wouldn't hold it's tension, and whenever i needed to take off my wheel i basically had to take that thing off because i had to bend it back so much.

check out the rennen rollenlager if making one isn't your fortay

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM

i use a singlerator. i love it. mine holds tention fine.

i have it on 5 rear cogs so if i am somewhere
and if i have enough chain on i can change gears with a 4mm.

i would not but a single rear cog. no telling what range you need.

May 2, 2006
on my bike...
thanks i am just looking for somthing that will hold up to abuse and is fairly cheap, cause i am tired of my deraillur breaking, those both look good and like they will hold up.

May 2, 2006
on my bike...
i found that a bashguard/chain guide will work as a tensioner so I am using my chainguide i had. Also it will fit a BMX chain 1/8 i think. Thanks for all the help. I will post pics when i have a complete bike again:biggrin:

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
I was going to mention that....

I used an E13 on a bike with vert drop outs.. and was able to build the chain tight... and then took out the rest of the slack by rotating the whole guide and lower pully to really put some tension on the chain. I dont think that would work well with the E types, but the ISCG style give you alot of tweaking room.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
I was going to mention that....

I used an E13 on a bike with vert drop outs.. and was able to build the chain tight... and then took out the rest of the slack by rotating the whole guide and lower pully to really put some tension on the chain. I dont think that would work well with the E types, but the ISCG style give you alot of tweaking room.
thats a good idea!