Quantcast

I want a Downhill Wife.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
She's so sweet my monitor is leaking sugar!
amydalayna said:
holy crap theresa... your little girl is adorable. she's a cutie.
Thanks! We love her to death!!!

H8R said:
WAY too cute. That kid is in danger of being pinched and eaten by little old ladies. They won't be able to control themselves.
Its so cute...she has started pinching people's cheeks back. It's WAY too funny because she'll reach for their cheeks as soon as they touch her.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
As of last weekend my household became a DINK :biggrin: We're also getting garage doors on my carport to make 1/2 of the garage an outdoor toy storage facility. That'll ease the current storage issues that come with combining two houses, luckily bachelors don't come with much furniture that can't be sacrificed.:p
Congratulations! It's fun having someone else around and place to store toys!!!

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Congratulations! It's fun having someone else around and place to store toys!!!
Thanks, we're excited. 5 bikes in my small storage/laundry room is just a nightmare. Now we just have get the XC and DH bikes that we want while we're still DINKs and before we move on to being DIOKs. The picture of Syd is adorable, drool and all!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Thanks, we're excited. 5 bikes in my small storage/laundry room is just a nightmare. Now we just have get the XC and DH bikes that we want while we're still DINKs and before we move on to being DIOKs. The picture of Syd is adorable, drool and all!
congrats!

we try and cram 8 bikes in a shed. it sucks.
but we'll be setting up the trainers soon. so 2 get to come inside for the winter.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
We're DINKs as well. Just moved a couple blocks up the road because we needed a bigger garage and more RV parking. We now have an oversized 2 car garage, large shed, and huge RV parking space and will still never get a car in the garage. The back is the workbench, left side is the ski workshop, right side is for the bikes, motos go out on the trailer...

It is very nice not having to explain why you need another pair of skis or a new bike!

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Can you justify needing to buy a new/another bike when you have a kid? I hope to get all the bike stuff I want out of the way before I have one, because you know the kid will come first...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Can you justify needing to buy a new/another bike when you have a kid? I hope to get all the bike stuff I want out of the way before I have one, because you know the kid will come first...
i'm afraid of having kids because i'm scared that i won't even care if i get to ride as much anymore once he or she is around. i imagine my priorities will change a bit.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I actually can, but maybe that's just me. My husband and I both have good jobs that pay us well and we are pretty frugal with out money so we have the money to spend and plenty saved for Syd too. We knew that we should have a large sum of money in the savings account prior to having a baby and we have that still. Neither of us has a lot of debt either. We are paying our mortgage and I still have about $8,000 in college loans that I am paying off as well as my car payment but that's it. We pay our credit card off each month and our other 2 vehicles are paid for. I think (if we were in a different financial situation) it would be hard to not spend money on bikes, but luckily we don't have to choose!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
i'm afraid of having kids because i'm scared that i won't even care if i get to ride as much anymore once he or she is around. i imagine my priorities will change a bit.

Yes and no. I don't mind (most days) that I don't get to ride as much, but I still find time to ride because it makes me happier, more relaxed, healthy, etc. and I feel that I am a better person when I can get out and vent my frustration with work, etc. on the trails. I don't get to ride nearly as often (I used to ride 6-7 times per week), but I cherish the time I do have with my bike and my daughter has a blast with my sisters so I don't even worry about leaving her behind.

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
so dont have kids! Bikes are like kids anyway. Always having to dress them up, clean up after them, buy them new shoes (tires), feed them (oil, greese).

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
That's not all. I rode with a new mother recently and she was telling me how riding isn't the same once your guts and joints have all been shifted around.

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
i havent married another biker yet, (and dont plan on it any time soon), but i definetly like having a boyfriend that understands riding.. i've known guys that would blame their bikes because i could beat them down a local trail...

which honestly got annoying. it's nice to have an understanding and be able to talk the lingo with a significant other, and understand each other, and even help each other improve mentally and with skills.

i imagine someday (that long, distant day) when i get married, he will be a biker, maybe even a racer, just like myself.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
i havent married another biker yet, (and dont plan on it any time soon), but i definetly like having a boyfriend that understands riding.. i've known guys that would blame their bikes because i could beat them down a local trail...

which honestly got annoying. it's nice to have an understanding and be able to talk the lingo with a significant other, and understand each other, and even help each other improve mentally and with skills.

i imagine someday (that long, distant day) when i get married, he will be a biker, maybe even a racer, just like myself.
I dream of the day when I can beat my husband down on a trail. Not sure if it will ever happen, but I do dream of it! :pirate2:

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I dream of the day when I can beat my husband down on a trail. Not sure if it will ever happen, but I do dream of it! :pirate2:
Yep, same here! But, it gives us a goal to shoot for! This is a funny thread--went from someone looking for a DH wife to family issues to garages to DINK's. Ha Ha Ha!!:monkeydance:

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
most of us lovely ladies are spoken for.

may i recommend finding someone who may not necessarily be into riding, but is cool and supportive of what you want to do?

always cool to have someone to shuttle and to take the pictures!
My wife's a dedicated MTB wife. She shuttled me up to the day before we had our son. My son was about 2 months or so old and she was shuttling me with him in the 4runner. We would shuttle when it was his mid morning nap time. I would hustle and get some good runs in.

My buddies can't even get their wives to shuttle them at all period.

I was scared that I wouldn't get to ride as much when my boy was born. I don't get to ride as much but when I get out, I appreciate it more and definately train harder.

Just had to add a pic of my 17 month old son, the future racer.

SeaMtbGrrl

Chimp
Nov 5, 2006
Seattle, WA
thats all not asking to much. Any takers? :brows:
So Hunnies -
Did you ride before you were with a guy who rode?
Would you date a guy who doesn't know bikes?
Would you marry a guy who can't adjust your rear travel and doesn't understand why you need a fork that costs more than his car?

All the chix I know who ride have s.o.s who ride. Although I know plenty of ridemonkeys who are married to women who don't know a bottom bracket from a headset.

My friends and I have had many a conversation about my only wanting to date bikers. They say I'm missing too many opportunities to find a great guy. But my thought is - can't there be a great guy who understands the importance of doing the Middle GLC next year? Or knows what I'm talking about when I say "chain suck" or "not tonight dear, i have to replace my cables."

Thoughts?

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
"not tonight dear, i have to replace my cables."

Thoughts?
That's not going to go over well if you want to get a fork that costs more than his car...

Otherwise, I think the ratio of guys/girls on mtb's makes it much more realistic for girls to insist on dating like-minded guys.

I've found it pretty much impossible to find girls that ride and don't already have a sig-o. But, what is it about the people that ride that is attractive? I think it comes down more to an adventurous personality, love of traveling and social activities. Anyone with those attributes can easily be drawn into cycling.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
But, what is it about the people that ride that is attractive?
In general and not gender specific, I've found that mt. bikers are quite good at prioritizing play and work and seeing work for what it is. Climbing the corporate ladder isn't a goal and believing that being "Employee of the Month" is the only way to be a loser and a winner all at once.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
>8
I've found it pretty much impossible to find girls that ride and don't already have a sig-o. But, what is it about the people that ride that is attractive? I think it comes down more to an adventurous personality, love of traveling and social activities. Anyone with those attributes can easily be drawn into cycling.
That sounds right. Why do you think there are less younger girls that DH?

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
But, what is it about the people that ride that is attractive?
2 words (and this is from a male point of view), spandex and scars. Spandex because well, women that can pull it off look GOOD, and the fact that they have the confidence to wear it makes them look all the better. And scars, not necissarily having them but putting oneself in the position to get a few, is attractive because it shows a woman who realizes life is more than doing her hair and makeup.

(True story, my ex would not go on a ride with me without spending an hour and a half doing her hair and makeup, and she carried a mirror and touchup stuff on the ride, should have known it was doomed).

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
My husband and I have been married for 25 years and 20 of those have been mountain biking. Over the years, there is always 1/2 of the group that likes having separate sports/time away from their spouses and the other half who wished their spouses rode. This seems to be true for both men and women.

When I got married the first time I was into horses and off road motorcycles, neither of which my ex was into. Our marriage lasted 2 1/2 years. He wanted kids, I was into sports.

I can't imagine what life would be like without cycling, let alone having to get a "hall pass" from my spouse so I could go out and ride!!! LOL.....

Every relationship is different and everyone's wants/needs are different. You have to decide early on what you want or don't want in a partner and make sure you are in agreement, whatever it is. We don't have kids so it makes it a tad bit easier to make decisions!!!

P.S. I bought my husband his first real mountain bike and then was jealous when he went out and rode with the boys. So I had to buy one. But I got into Downhill before he did (I raced Moto/Desert in the 60s/70s) and had to bring him along gradually kicking and screaming at first. Then he goes and gets better than me!!! Oh well, he does keep my bike in excellent condition and it is always clean (like brand new)!!!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
SeaMtbGrrl said:
"not tonight dear, i have to replace my cables."

Thoughts?
That's not going to go over well if you want to get a fork that costs more than his car...

:biggrin: LOL

I know a single gal who mountain bikes.....

ps, the correct response is not, "not tonight I have to change the cables" but "ok, but let's make it a quickie"

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
Yikes! You might want to find a guy with a car that's a bit more dependable. Besides, both parties need a shuttle vehicle, don't they? I guess that's why we have 2 Pickup trucks. :biggrin:

DHrGirl

Chimp
Nov 12, 2006
OK, so I'm a single gal who rides. I got into MTBing because it looked like a lot of fun, not because I had a s.o. who rode. I've been riding and racing now for years all because I love it.
For all the guys out there who wish they had a girl that digs MTBing, it is the same from our side! The times I've dated guys who aren't riders, they don't get why I'm always taking off to do a ride, or spending Saturday night working on my bike in time for Sunday shuttles. But, then I've also dated guys who ride that wind up trying to be competitive with our riding instead of just having fun with a girlfriend that MTBs.
So, for any of you all lucky enough to have the best of both worlds, that is awesome. It must be way cool to have someone you can share your passion with and, hopefully, help you true a wheel or fix a bottom bracket. And, even if you have a s.o. who doesn't ride but supports what you do that's cool too. It's the ones that don't care and try to take you away from it that I'd stay far away from!

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I met my GF on a ride, and we are moving in together soon. She was looking for a guy who rode and could fix her bike, I was looking for a girl who rode and could fix me when I did stupid stuff, and we both found what we wanted. She just bought a condo, and one of the requirements was a full basement for the bike shop. Between the 2 of us, we have 10 bikes.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
So Hunnies -
Did you ride before you were with a guy who rode?
Would you date a guy who doesn't know bikes?
Would you marry a guy who can't adjust your rear travel and doesn't understand why you need a fork that costs more than his car?
1)No, my BF took me riding like on our second date. I had a FS XC bike by the 3rd date.
2)No, I wouldn't date a man that didn't bike. It's not just the biking, but I find that most mtb'rs are into the same things I am.
3)My man now is OKAY with working on bikes, and since we will always have seperate money regardless of marriage It's really none of his business what I spend my money on:biggrin:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
But my thought is - can't there be a great guy who understands the importance of doing the Middle GLC next year? Or knows what I'm talking about when I say "chain suck" or "not tonight dear, i have to replace my cables."

Thoughts?
I completely understand wanting to have a guy who rides because of those things, but a guy doesn't have to ride to either understand why you want to do something, or to understand the technicalities of riding.

My girlfriend is a chemist, and she likes the geeky, chemistry stuff she does. When she tells me about it, I pay attention and listen. When she says something I don't understand, I ask for an explanation, so next time she says "Oh, I ran the HPLC today and my standard came out at 100.02%" I know what it means. The same can hold true for riding - I think what you really want is a guy who understands your passions and hobbies. I've always encouraged my girlfriends to persue their hobbies and typically take an interest in the technical aspects of it.

Of course, if you actually want to ride with the guy, then you have to have a guy who rides :D

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
OK, so I'm a single gal who rides. I got into MTBing because it looked like a lot of fun, not because I had a s.o. who rode. I've been riding and racing now for years all because I love it.
For all the guys out there who wish they had a girl that digs MTBing, it is the same from our side! The times I've dated guys who aren't riders, they don't get why I'm always taking off to do a ride, or spending Saturday night working on my bike in time for Sunday shuttles. But, then I've also dated guys who ride that wind up trying to be competitive with our riding instead of just having fun with a girlfriend that MTBs.
So, for any of you all lucky enough to have the best of both worlds, that is awesome. It must be way cool to have someone you can share your passion with and, hopefully, help you true a wheel or fix a bottom bracket. And, even if you have a s.o. who doesn't ride but supports what you do that's cool too. It's the ones that don't care and try to take you away from it that I'd stay far away from!
my last girlfriend not once ever shuttled me and my friends, she just wanted to watch t.v. all the time, notice i said last g/f. Ok i dont need a girl who DH's but a girl that rides any dicsipline and i would be happy.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
whatever y'all do... do not hook up with the wrong person just because they ride. I went down that road (pun intended) and what a fvcking nightmare.

In fact, I suggest that if you find someone who loves a hobby, activity, whatever as much as you do, it's more likely to blind you to how incompatible you two are.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
whatever y'all do... do not hook up with the wrong person just because they ride. I went down that road (pun intended) and what a fvcking nightmare.

In fact, I suggest that if you find someone who loves a hobby, activity, whatever as much as you do, it's more likely to blind you to how incompatible you two are.
Definitely some good advice there.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
OK, so I'm a single gal who rides. I got into MTBing because it looked like a lot of fun, not because I had a s.o. who rode. I've been riding and racing now for years all because I love it...
So, for any of you all lucky enough to have the best of both worlds, that is awesome. It must be way cool to have someone you can share your passion with...
1) How did you get exposed to bikes? I think that's something the entire industry needs to work on.
2) You touched on a great point. It's not so much about the act of biking together, but someone who can share your passion. There are pros and cons to actually riding together. Sometimes it's nice to have time away. I want a girl who is passionate about something, scuba diving, rock climbing, whatever. I can't stand the idea of dating being somones hobby.

Although, a friend of mine is married to a girl who rides occasionally, got into it though him, but she's really supportive and into the fact that he has his thing. We take long "bro-only" trips and he summed it up well saying that even though he enjoyed the time away, whenever he's out having fun, he wished she was there.

Yikes! You might want to find a guy with a car that's a bit more dependable. Besides, both parties need a shuttle vehicle, don't they? I guess that's why we have 2 Pickup trucks. :biggrin:
And just to be clear.. I'm a guy.. and not looking for a guy.. I'll assume that was directed towards the overall conversation.
(and I have a very nice truck)