Quantcast

I want a Downhill Wife.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
My girl doesn't ride and sometimes it strains our relationship. She tries but sometimes she just doesn't understand my passion. I work hard and I play hard. Life is an exercise in balancing priorities, and sometimes bikes win. She can get jealous of my bike and all the good times I have with it and my friends while she stays home. I've told her that it's part of who I am and if she likes the package, bikes are a big part of it and that is not going to change. I mean, bikes have been in my life since I was about 5, and she has not (ouch). But we have other mutual interests and she is into some things I am not. So far it works pretty well and keeps up both on our toes.

The only time I've dated a woman who rides was a rebound thing for me and it didn't work out. It was a bad idea from the start and we both knew it, but that didn't stop us.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
In my case I've been riding for 7 years and got into biking without a S.O. introducing it to me. I've been through a number of long term relationships in that time with guys who didn't ride and a couple of short lived relationships with guys who did ride.

My current BF just moved in with me and he bought a XC bike after our 3rd date and a DH bike after the first 3 months. Biking is a big part of my life and without someone to share it with you spend a lot of time regretting not going on some biking trip just because you feel guilty leaving the other person behind. And vacations are a whole other topic...

So my advice is find a guy who is into sports and see if you can make a biker out of him. It's worked for me and I couldn't be happier!

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
Having someone that rides already is cool but the way I see it, if the person I'm looking for is athletic and adventurous I'll teach her to ride if she likes dirt and especially teach her to surf because she will love that!

It looks like theres a couple of good 'dh wife opportunities' that posted on here already.

Single, likes DH, and also wants someone who rides. that sounds pretty good.

Ladies, You should come out this way...Insideman would be superstoked and there is year round riding.:happydance:

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
just because someone is athletic and adventurous doesn't mean they want you to teach her to ride bikes. i have plenty of friends who are girls that are very athletic and adventurous... but there passion is skiing or snowboarding. biking just doesn't interest them.

i think there are much more important things in a mate then just wanting to ride bikes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
just because someone is athletic and adventurous doesn't mean they want you to teach her to ride bikes. i have plenty of friends who are girls that are very athletic and adventurous... but there passion is skiing or snowboarding. biking just doesn't interest them.

i think there are much more important things in a mate then just wanting to ride bikes.
i thought mr amydalayna choose you as his mate due to your technical skills.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
My "ex-GF" was a dedicate shuttle driver.
So I was like, "hurry up and strap the bikes, yo!" :p

....and my ex-gf is faster than RM's lovebunny.

I'm lucky.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
My "ex-GF" was a dedicate shuttle driver.
So I was like, "hurry up and strap the bikes, yo!" :p
....and my ex-gf is faster than RM's lovebunny.

I'm lucky.
"ex-GF" ...AHAHAHAHAHA!

I thought about calling the man, "my first husband" (I've only ever had one), but I like "ex-BF" better. :biggrin:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I wish I had an uphill wife, but we come to a long climb and she's like "Oh crap, not another climb!" And then she works her way to the top and when she gets there she's all "Climbing sucks. Where are the downhills?" And then I'm all "Don't worry, if we go up, we must go down" and then she calls me a liar and says we never go down and always go up. And then we hit a killer downhill and have a blast riding it, and then she's all "Yeah, but we have to go up again." She's right though. Climbing sucks.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
easy solution :D

What a great pic! Makes me want to write a short story or an un-children's book about the Chairlift Fog Monster that ate all the riders and their bikes... leaving only small traces of cable housing, derailleur pulleys and a goggle strap scattered below the chairlift...

SeaMtbGrrl

Chimp
Nov 5, 2006
Seattle, WA
whatever y'all do... do not hook up with the wrong person just because they ride. I went down that road (pun intended) and what a fvcking nightmare.
I guess I'm safe from this as I would rather be single than settle for someone I don't really feel compatible with - I'm just hoping to find someone I am attracted to who also happens to ride.

Also, because I biked before dating a biker and have continued biking after breakup, I have no problem with my guy going on his bro-rides or hitting clown shoes without me. But how fun would it be have someone to shuttle with and ride with when we want to. (Answer: hella!)

1) How did you get exposed to bikes? I think that's something the entire industry needs to work on.
(and I have a very nice truck)
To help get more girls and women on their bikes in the dirt, a friend started the Seattle Chapter of LunaChix Mtn Bike Team, and we post a lot of women only rides on our local mtb bike club site.

This has not helped me meet a man, but has helped me meet a lot of friends to ride with! :biggrin:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Lifts are for cheaters.
lifts are also good for people who say 'Climbing sucks.' :bonk:

plus, the ability to rip a nice DH run 8-12 times in a day cannot be underestimated...the local DH track in dublin had no uplift, so you had to hike up the mountain w/ yr bike...i was good for about 3-4 runs...

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I think lifts are for people who enjoy downhills or want to improve their skills quickly.

There is simply no way I would be as fast as I am now if I hadn't had the ability to ride lifts or shuttle. There is no other way to get that kind of descending time in (without being too fatigued to be safe).

And, yeah, I climb.

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
lol mudgrrl has a pretty good point any girl u meet that bikes is going to be either a complete redneck, have cuts and bruises and hairy legs *cold shiver* becuz she doesnt care about her physical appearance, or if they dont meet any of those previous, than guaranteed some other super hot guy has alredy got her

better just find a relly nice girl and then introduce her to MTBing
hey, there are some girly mountain bike chicks.. same with motocross chicks.

dont get me wrong, there are definitely the butches, but there are also girly girls that like to shred. you just need to be nice and respectful.

no joke, i went riding with some local bmxers, when they stopped for a "weed break" that seemed to be every 15 minutes and would last an hour, i decided to go to the local trails cuz i'm not into the whole drug thing. as i was leaving one of the boneheads shouted "you should ride in lingerie!" and the chorus of boyish laughs inevitably followed...

its a wonder why girls have been driven away from the sport. other than the fact that it beats you up.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
It is the best kind of fun to have someone who is always down with riding when you want. Now the question is never "do you want to ride?" but "where do you want to ride today?"

Pinkster-obviously you were riding with little boys. :P

I have a girlie girl who loves to ride, but isn't a DH'er. It has it's pluses and minuses. The pluses are we get to spend more time together doing something we like and she looks good in those shorts!!! On the other side she sometimes gets upset when I want to go do some shuttle runs with the boys or hit the dirt jumps as she likes to mainly trail ride. You still have to compromise just like a non-rider, but at least your on the bike in some manner. Believe me I'm not complaining!!!!!!!!!!1

A big plus is we are getting married the end of May this year and guess where we are spending our two week honeymoon...................................................... 1/3 on Vancouver Island, 1/3 at Whistler, 1/3 interior BC (probably Kamloops). I'm going to go look in the mirror now and say hello to a lucky S.O.B.:cheers:

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
A big plus is we are getting married the end of May this year and guess where we are spending our two week honeymoon...................................................... 1/3 on Vancouver Island, 1/3 at Whistler, 1/3 interior BC (probably Kamloops). I'm going to go look in the mirror now and say hello to a lucky S.O.B.:cheers:

aww. Congratulations!

that's a sweet honeymoon too

DirtDivaDH

Chimp
Oct 16, 2005
Beautiful Moorpark, CA
I met my hubby while racing and I love having the same hobby as my partner. All of our guy friends only have riding cards one day a week and we can ride as much as we have a babysitter. Sharing this passion is indescribable. If in So Cal, check out the local races-Fontana...I bring out lady friends every now and then...

xgirrrrl

Chimp
May 10, 2002
Tahoe! , Baby!
I do not claim the title "Girlie Girl", I prefer 'AKC" (ass kickin' chick) Or something along that line.
But, I LOVE to tear it up in the dirt, mostly DH, right along with my boyfriend. And I think he is really into that fact. I was a Dher when we met, so he doesn't have to worry about me giving him a hard time about riding. It's more like "Lets ride this weekend"
To the original poster, All my Girlfriends have men, but dont give up! You will find your "dirt girl" She is out there looking for a man who doesnt give her any grief about riding...