Quantcast

I want to setup a server...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
That can run a number of programs serverside (all Windows) and be accessed by clients...Like, a VPN within a LAN. If that makes any sense.

I have no idea:

A) What OS to use (Windoze Server?)
B) What apps to use to accomplish this.

If I could be pointed in the right direction, it would be lurvely. Pretty well versed in computers, but I'm a networking luddite.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Depending on what exactly you are trying to accomplish the answer could vary greatly. Be specific and tell us exactly what you're trying to do.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A VPN without a LAN? Your statement doesn't make any sense. And what you want to accomplish doesn't have anything to do with a network, I think.

You need to tell us what programs you want to run, server-side. And by server-side, can I assume you mean that you want the UI and everything to be on the server? So you'd be viewing it through remote desktop or some such remote control program?

We really need to know, specifically, what you want to accomplish. Like, exactly what program and what scenario you want to set up. Do you want to be able to run Photoshop on a server, and remote desktop into it to edit photos?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A VPN without a LAN? Your statement doesn't make any sense. And what you want to accomplish doesn't have anything to do with a network, I think.
LAN = local area network, correct? So this may or may not be a network connected to the internet. IE, locally connected PC's/servers that communicated with each other.

VPN's are a form of a secure connection correct? In my experience, the use of a VPN creates a secure connection between a users machine and a host/server typically NOT on the same LAN/intranet, so that the user's machine will interact (and access services) with a host/server as if it IS on its particular LAN/intranet. (work computers, and remote access of inter-company network services).

BV, please correct me if my understanding of this is wrong.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BV, please correct me if my understanding of this is wrong.
Your understanding is correct. But there is no such thing as a VPN without some kind of LAN at his server-side. A VPN is a secure connection used to access a range of IPs (that's important: it's a connection to a remote network not just a single computer), which typically, in a home environment, are a range of private IPs. So he's got a LAN, even if it's a LAN composed only of a router and a computer (which are both network endpoints so it's a multi-device LAN).

A secure remote control connection of some kind (remote desktop, VNC, whatever) is an entirely separate beast but may exist with or without a VPN.

What I'm saying is what he wants to do doesn't seem to have anything to do with a VPN - it looks like he's just trying to create a client-to-server remote control session which can be done via port forwarding or any number of means.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
What I'm saying is what he wants to do doesn't seem to have anything to do with a VPN - it looks like he's just trying to create a client-to-server remote control session which can be done via port forwarding or any number of means.
Correct!

Owing to a number of limitations within Adobe products, I want to setup a box running Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop. I want to be able to have remote control over the box from any of the other machines on the network running those two programs specifically, as well as full (and hopefully smooth) filesystem access. It'll be setup with gigabit LAN and an n wireless connection.

Sorry for the incoherent babble in the OP.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Having done photo editing over a VNC session on a gigabit connection, I'd say you're asking for a headache. Over wireless N is going to just be difficult.

The gigabit connection is about tolerable but you probably don't realize just how horrendous the small amount of lag time is before you experience it and start editing files on a regular basis/large scale.

Are you trying to edit from a machine that doesn't have the processing power, or are you trying to remain within legal limitations of your licensing?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Having done photo editing over a VNC session on a gigabit connection, I'd say you're asking for a headache.

Are you trying to edit from a machine that doesn't have the processing power, or are you trying to remain within legal limitations of your licensing?
Neither. Lightroom gets bitchy when its database is shared across a network (SQLite), and I need all three machines to be able to use it/access it.

Photoshop can stay clientside, if needed.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Okay, well I presume most of your Lightroom adjustments are slider adjustments and do not require quite the fine mouse movement of things like brushes in Photoshop? That would probably work. Fine mousing tends to suffer a little even if the lag is small.

Also, I wouldn't dedicate a machine for this. Have Lightroom exist on one of your current machines, and install UltraVNC (www.ultravnc.com) - set up the server as a Windows service. Install the optional video drivers with it (it will prompt you during the install to download and install them).

Then install UltraVNC client on the other machines. You'll then be able to access the host machine via IP address or host name.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I'd put the whole thing on a VMware ESXi server, which is free, (assuming the hardware you have is on the HCL) and run the whole show through vCenter Client.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Okay, well I presume most of your Lightroom adjustments are slider adjustments and do not require quite the fine mouse movement of things like brushes in Photoshop? That would probably work. Fine mousing tends to suffer a little even if the lag is small.

Also, I wouldn't dedicate a machine for this. Have Lightroom exist on one of your current machines, and install UltraVNC (www.ultravnc.com) - set up the server as a Windows service. Install the optional video drivers with it (it will prompt you during the install to download and install them).

Then install UltraVNC client on the other machines. You'll then be able to access the host machine via IP address or host name.
Just tried UltraVNC...

Holy unusable :(

Perhaps my dream is dead.

Is there any good way to do this?

Why VNC? What's wrong with terminal services (mstsc -v:<host name or IP> /admin)?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BadDNA, I don't really know what he'd accomplish there; it's still a virtual machine hosted on the server that he'd have to VNC over to...? I haven't used ESX server; does the client app allow for this kind of high resolution data transfer? There's still a physical barrier to overcome - a high resolution, high color depth data transfer with no lag.

blue; UltraVNC + the video drivers is about as speedy a connection as you'll get. The problem is you're editing at high resolution, editing a lot of color data... it's just a lot of data to move over the network.

JBP; it could work, my experience is that uvnc with the monitor drivers is a substantially less laggy desktop connection. Worth trying, though.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
BadDNA, I don't really know what he'd accomplish there; it's still a virtual machine hosted on the server that he'd have to VNC over to...? I haven't used ESX server; does the client app allow for this kind of high resolution data transfer? There's still a physical barrier to overcome - a high resolution, high color depth data transfer with no lag.
Well I have honestly never tried it in a high color / high res situation but the vCenter Client does give you console level access to the guest VMs which is usually very responsive. I guess the VM doesn't really gain anything. Just ignore me.