Quantcast

I won an mtb time trial this weekend

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
It was part of the fat tire festival we had this weekend. There were a bunch of non-racers and some pretty good beginner and sport class racers there. I think about 40 or 45 in all. But the best thing is i had been smacking with this guy for the last two weeks that i was going to rip him a "new one." Well actually i told everybody that, even the expert racers that were standing around that i would make all of them my bitches, knowing full well the whole time that i was going to lose. So when race time comes around they set all of us "smackers" off very last so we could go head to head against each other.
The course started off with a 1 1/2 mile uphill then turned on to the dirt and went for about another 1 1/2 miles. I decided that i was going to go all out on the road try to catch the guy in front that i had been talking the most smack too and then just roll out the rest of the race and take the win. There's no way this guy could have made up a minute lead on me in the woods. So i blow off the start, big ring it and automatically hit my hrm but it doesn’t matter. I drop my head and get into an easer gear but pick up my spin. I'm probably 44 - 13/15 or there about but still spinning my ass off and my speed had to be about 22mph. The second to last crest i see him on the next crest and i count the seconds till i get there. I'm only 15 seconds back. He goes around the corner and disappears into the single track. I'm hammered. The cold air is really starting to take its toll because i have "athletically induced asthma". I drop into the single track slow a bit because the first part it really twisty so i try to recover but my lungs are locked up. Then the last mile is pretty open with no tech sections at all so i big ring it again. It feels like in have been on the trail forever but I’m still focused on beating this guy. Legs burning, lungs burning, mind getting foggy, handling skills getting sloppy and i finally pop out of the trail for a sprint to the finish. Right when i cross the line i see the dude turn around and start heading back to the finish line and i could tell i had beat him. It ended up that i took him by 25 seconds! It was really a lot of fun and luckily i beat him because i talked so much smack i would have never heard the end of it :)
00:10:07 was my time:monkey:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Great job Tony!

I think I could really get into TT, I mean, you have someone to chase all the time!

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Congrats dude! :thumb:

I whupped up on some yuppies and pre-teen children on the city bike paths this weekend. Yeah, I am the king! :rolleyes:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
how short was that course? i mean a 10 minute lap :eek: must have been hella short but none the less man that's great. keepin it in the big ring feels great doesn't it? just makes you feel almighty n shiet :D but yeah in a TT you don't have to actually catch the guy to beat em. it always feels good to catch ppl b/c well it just always feels good to pass anyone, espically knowing they started a minute up on you. :devil: once you get rolling good you know how it feels to start in the last pack and catch an entire group that started 5 minutes up on you. keep up your training and good luck to ya buddy! :thumb:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
thanks. yea it was only 3 miles because it was suppose to be for fun but a bunch of us have been smack talking each other for weeks. Some guys were like "oh your a beginner you can go fast, bla bla bla" so i laid down the challenge and stuck it to them. heheh

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
This is so true - it takes a lot of will power to hammmer 100% if there are no other racers in sight. Good job there Tony!!! :thumb:

Originally posted by Heidi
Great job Tony!

I think I could really get into TT, I mean, you have someone to chase all the time!