Quantcast

I wonder what exactly they are praying for?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
You would think that their own gods judgement in the afterlife would be enough.

Michael Summers of Bend, Ore., left, Rev. Rob Schenck, president of National Clergy Council, center, and Pastor Ken Wilde of the National Prayer Center, pray outside the Supreme Court in Washington Thursday, June 26, 2003 after the court struck down a ban on gay sex, ruling that the law was an unconstitutional violation of privacy. The men were unhappy with the 6-3 ruling that reverses course from a ruling 17 years ago that states could punish homosexuals for what such laws historically called deviant sex. (AP Photo/Matthew Cavanaugh)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Tenchiro
You would think that their own gods judgement in the afterlife would be enough.
Well, for people of faith, this is a pretty big blow.

Just think about it, now that the Federal Govt. recognizes this kind of thing as OK, how long until there is an act saying that children must receive both heterosexual, and homosexual versions of Sex Ed in school. After all, its descrimination not to do that now isnt it?

How long until gays are protected under programs like affirmative action?

I could really care less, personally about someone's private life, but when rulings like this will eventually come to make a difference in my own, sometimes im apt to be concerned.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by BurlySurly

Just think about it, now that the Federal Govt. recognizes this kind of thing as OK,
Consentual sex between to adults is ok though. Their god forgives sinners, why is it so hard for them to do the same.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

I think you're scratching at a slippery slope that isn't there.

We didn't exactly fall into an black abyss of immorality when adultery and pre-marital sex became legal. As sexual acts not being condoned by the church, those SHOULD be the beginning of your slippery slope. But they're not... because there isn't one. Our legal system designed to find the thin line in the grey area.

apologies for the blatant overuse of metaphor

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan

Just think about it, now that the Federal Govt. recognizes this kind of thing as OK, how long until there is an act saying that children must receive both heterosexual, and homosexual versions of Sex Ed in school. After all, its descrimination not to do that now isnt it?

I could really care less, personally about someone's private life, but when rulings like this will eventually come to make a difference in my own, sometimes im apt to be concerned.
Don't worry BS, it's only legal not compulsory. Personally I find jacking off dolphins to be more worrisome behaviour.;)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by valve bouncer
Don't worry BS, it's only legal not compulsory. Personally I find jacking off dolphins to be more worrisome behaviour.;)
Hey, if im ever in a pinch;) At least i know how.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Hey, if im ever in a pinch;) At least i know how.
Maybe it's a failure of imagination on my part but I can't for the life of me think of a situation where I'd be forced to give Flipper a handjob. But I guess in the Marines you've got to be ready for anything right?:D ;)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by ohio

We didn't exactly fall into an black abyss of immorality when adultery and pre-marital sex became legal. As sexual acts not being condoned by the church, those SHOULD be the beginning of your slippery slope. But they're not... because there isn't one. Our legal system designed to find the thin line in the grey area.

The CHURCH CAN KISS MY A$$, and people can have all the gay sex they want, but for the government to say "THUMBS UP" is something different altoghether. Since when did you find all this faith in our legal system ohio?
Im not saying that the supreme court was even wrong in their decision here, im juse VERY concerned about the consequences. Snowball effect....ya know?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Maybe it's a failure of imagination on my part but I can't for the life of me think of a situation where I'd be forced to give Flipper a handjob. But I guess in the Marines you've got to be ready for anything right?:D ;)
He he:D I actually just thougt up a few plausable situations where that could come in handy. Imagine if dolphin sperm cured cancer, or a beached paralyzed last-of-her-species female dolphin was ovulating out of reach of her male partner. C'mon man, its not that hard.

goosemagoo

Chimp
May 21, 2002
Virginia Beach, VA
Originally posted by ohio

True, but when those laws were enacted there weren't thousands of heterosexuals marching the streets in buttless leather chaps over their metal studded thongs preaching equality in every sense of the word.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The CHURCH CAN KISS MY A$$, and people can have all the gay sex they want, but for the government to say "THUMBS UP" is something different altoghether.
The court did not give the big thumbs up to gay sex. The court revoked a law that banned it. There is a big difference there.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan

I don't think the fact that something is legal equates to endorsement from the government. Alcohol and tobacco are legal but their use is not encouraged by government.
As far as I remember sex-ed covered reproduction (not applicable to gays) and safe-sex. Surely a blanket "whatever kind of sex you do, use a rubber" type education will be OK. I don't know about you but at school we didn't learn how to do it just what happens when you do it. Pretty easy to keep the info neutral in my opinion.
About affirmative action, well I believe most homosexual people earn above the average wage and on most social (i.e- education etc) and economic indicators there is no evidence that any sort of "action" is needed.
I think we need to be mature about it and accept that what goes on between consenting adults is their business and does not need to be regulated by government. This does not imply endorsement or condemnation, it's just being realistic.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
This thread has allowed me to re-evaluate my sexuality. It's nice to get confirmation that you are who you are. See, the *very* first thing I saw when I opened this thread was the chickie in the pink shirt and white shorts :D I bet she's got a nice, spankable booty :devil:

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England

The two men who spent the night in jail in 1998 on sodomy charges, John Lawrence, left, and Tyron Garner, right, are introduced by their attorneys during a press conference in Houston Thursday June 26, 2003. The Supreme Court struck down a ban on gay sex Thursday, ruling that the law was an unconstitutional violation of privacy. (AP Photo /Michael Stravato)
mmmmkay....

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN

About affirmative action, well I believe most homosexual people earn above the average wage and on most social (i.e- education etc) and economic indicators there is no evidence that any sort of "action" is needed.
I think we need to be mature about it and accept that what goes on between consenting adults is their business and does not need to be regulated by government. This does not imply endorsement or condemnation, it's just being realistic.

Schools are one thing, but what about in the workplace, when employers are forced to hire X-number of gay employees in percentage to the straight ones. Then there's the military. Dude, i just think that there might be alot of reprecussions to all this. I realize that people should be able to do what they want in private, so long as they're not hurting anyone else, but i think the governments stance on the issue is bound to make some ripples. Time will tell.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Schools are one thing, but what about in the workplace, when employers are forced to hire X-number of gay employees in percentage to the straight ones. Then there's the military. Dude, i just think that there might be alot of reprecussions to all this. I realize that people should be able to do what they want in private, so long as they're not hurting anyone else, but i think the governments stance on the issue is bound to make some ripples. Time will tell.
Well BS, I think when gays tend to have a higher level of education on average and are less likely to have kids then you'll hardly be forcing people to employ them.
As for the military there has always been gays in the military and always will be as there is in any predominantly male enviroment. I guess after WW2 there was problems with the integration of blacks into the armed forces. I'm sure more than a few "good old boys" found that a hard pill to swallow. But they had to deal as todays military will have to deal with homosexuals. It's a part of life BS, as soon as people come to terms with it, the less of a problem it will be.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
hmm, the fact the govt made it legal does not mean they are encouraring people to go around sodomizing whoever wants to be sodomized. it just respects the right of some people who prefer to do it in the privacy of their own homes.

actually prosecuting people for sodomy sounds kinda weird. how can you be prosecuted for doing whatever you wanna do in your own privacy in full use of reason and mutual consent?

it does not have anything to do with having a sex ed class, since a sex ed class is not a Junior version of the kamasutra.

as far as i know a sex ed class is just about hygiene, anatomy and contraceptions fundaments and STD prevention.

teaching kids sodomy in sex-ed does not have anything to do with this.

Alexis

The CHURCH CAN KISS MY A$$, and people can have all the gay sex they want, but for the government to say "THUMBS UP" is something different altoghether. Since when did you find all this faith in our legal system ohio?
Im not saying that the supreme court was even wrong in their decision here, im juse VERY concerned about the consequences. Snowball effect....ya know?

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
The implication is quite impressive although for some reasons not readily considered. This ruling essentially overturns similar laws also applied to heterosexual behavior as well. The law in Idaho is so restrictive that a married couple, engaging in oral sex, are committing a felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison, a $4,000 fine and must forever register as sexual offenders.

Yeah, the supreme court is really putting us on a slippery slope by overturning these laws :rolleyes:

Groundbreaking idea that in the 21st Century the nation claiming to be a bastion of civil liberties will allow adults to participate in consensual sexual behavior within the confines of their private homes. Remarkable, truly.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by ALEXIS_DH
it does not have anything to do with having a sex ed class, since a sex ed class is not a Junior version of the kamasutra.

as far as i know a sex ed class is just about hygiene, anatomy and contraceptions fundaments and STD prevention.

Alexis
Sex Ed in America is very surreal. For example they have to demonstrate how to use a condom, but are not allowed to use anything even remotely shaped like a penis... :rolleyes:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You know what the funny thing about sodomy laws is?

It's common enough knowledge that prison rape in this country happens. A lot. There have been numerous articles written about, and the California attoney general at one point was making jokes about it (With regards to Ken Lay, he said something to the effect of "I'd like to throw him into a cell with a big guy who'd say, Hi honey, my name is Spike")

So it seems that in a state with sodomy laws, the only place that sodomy was acceptable was in prison (a state sponsored place, remember, filled with government employees!), many times with one partner unwilling.

I just love a legal system that criminalizes behavior between consenting adults but gives a good ole boy *wink* to rape. The land of the free indeed.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
ohhhhh maann!! thats so surreal. i just cannot imagine that.

is like a kafka novel, or a one hand clap.

btw, it really calls my attention that the far right has so much power in the us. i mean, seems to be that all those laws go exactly against what the image of ourselves, and us social behavior.

for example, its hard to imagine, that all the stuff we see in the media, and in our lives are so against the "behavior laws" from the government.

its ridiculous having a government that would penalize and prosecute people who break the so called "moral" of the country.

reminds me of the religious police in certain parts of the middle east where women can go to jail for flashing their faces in public.
i think this analogy, while it may sound exagerate, can still be applied.
for the far right in those places of the world, that kind of behavior is as "morally inacceptable" as sodomy in the mind of the US far right.
And so the govt think its it obligation to prosecute those crimes against "moral and good manners". Those US laws are just making the same here.

Alexis

Alexis

Originally posted by Tenchiro
Sex Ed in America is very surreal. For example they have to demonstrate how to use a condom, but are not allowed to use anything even remotely shaped like a penis... :rolleyes:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
and now that i think more about the analogy.
here its ever worse, because in those places, that kinda of behavior is in public, which makes it "worse"
but here, sodomy is a private thing, how a govt could try to prosecute the intimate sexual behavior of 2 adults??

whatever

Originally posted by ALEXIS_DH
ohhhhh maann!! thats so surreal. i just cannot imagine that.

is like a kafka novel, or a one hand clap.

btw, it really calls my attention that the far right has so much power in the us. i mean, seems to be that all those laws go exactly against what the image of ourselves, and us social behavior.

for example, its hard to imagine, that all the stuff we see in the media, and in our lives are so against the "behavior laws" from the government.

its ridiculous having a government that would penalize and prosecute people who break the so called "moral" of the country.

reminds me of the religious police in certain parts of the middle east where women can go to jail for flashing their faces in public.
i think this analogy, while it may sound exagerate, can still be applied.
for the far right in those places of the world, that kind of behavior is as "morally inacceptable" as sodomy in the mind of the US far right.
And so the govt think its it obligation to prosecute those crimes against "moral and good manners". Those US laws are just making the same here.

Alexis

Alexis

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Since when did you find all this faith in our legal system ohio?
Hehe. I've always had faith in the PROCESS. It's the people running it that terrify me.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
The case was quite simple, the Texas law did not allow equal protection under the law. That's a bad no no, constitutionaly speaking. This ruling helps preserve liberty for all Americans not just gay Americans.

Everyone should be happy about this.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
now the couples can go to ONTARIO and get married. the chapel in TORONTO is open this weekend to conduct the ceremonies.

i wish i was gay... cuz i could get me mo chix.

oh, and ummbikes had a great point :thumb:

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Originally posted by Serial Midget
He's a greener... his school grades with warm fuzzies for 'pass' and cold pricklies for 'fail'... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
You are just upset because I can ride switchbacks and alas you can not!:devil: :devil: :devil: :monkey: :p