Quantcast

I9 Carnage pics

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bizutch, I always think it's a little funny that there are lots and lots of broken parts posted here all the time, but God forbid someone post shots of a broken part from one of your chosen companies. Then we get paragraphs about why you should never mention any broken part unless the company screws you in the warranty process.

Let's be reasonable here. I would absolutely agree if the OP was railing on I9. You should seek resolution before deciding a company sucks. That's not what's going on here, though. It's just another broken part. Let it rest - it has been made quite clear that nobody is bashing the company.

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
No, I'm saying that only the people who really don't care will assume about the company. those same people who really don't care probably wouldn't have posted anything ANYways

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
I agree with BV. I'm not here to start an arguement, just putting in my 2 cents. And ?????, that sucks about your spokes. If you have to pay $10 a spoke (though some people say you don't) just make sure everything is put on correctly with the proper tensioning and all that (to state the obvious)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
At first glance and a individual (either a King or hadley or Hope addict) seeing this would use ir as I dont care what the reason that shouldnt have happened!
In my case Im back to 2 I9 wheels sets 1 on the Jedi and 1 on the Socom, It had to be a overtightening issue, Ive bombe mine to flat countlesss times, destroyed 2 sets of 6.1 hoops, 1 set of syncros dps 32 hoops and relaced 1 set 3 times (other set is used 2 times as back up) to different hoops as its my main thrashing set and no issues.

Man that sucks but doesnt make me question mine at all, it was a error somewhere thats all!

I 2nd I9 for congress :thumb:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I've seen a miss adjusted rear mech pop 5 I9 spokes without hesitation. That being said, some VPP set ups (M6) have pretty massive chain growth near bottom out. Any chance the chain might have been a link or two short?
Just checked, there is plenty of chain on there.

I know I've landed some small whips kinda crooked... that seems like it would put a lot of sideways pressure on the wheel. Does that seem like it would cause the spokes to break just on the one side?

I'm almost positive that nothing got caught up in the spokes since there were no rocks larger than bits of gravel and there weren't any sticks around when it happened.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Just got an e-mail back from I-9... price for individual spokes is less than $10. The price for 16, 32, or 64 is much less than $10 per spoke.

Color fades are a good bit more expensive because of the batch charge, but wouldn't be too bad if you could find a few more people that wanted similar spokes. The real turn off for the color fade spokes is the wait time.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
See? The boys are awesome. Knew they'd take care of it.

In any case, get the damn wheels rebuilt and lets see pics of some sideways landings. :D

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I don't see the problem with posting the pics. The spokes broke, period. And it sounds like it wasn't fropm gross negligence. Nobody complains when people post pictures of broken wheelsmith or DT spokes.
If I9 hooks him up, I'm sure he'll post that and the company will recieve it's earned credit.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I don't see the problem with posting the pics. The spokes broke, period. And it sounds like it wasn't fropm gross negligence. Nobody complains when people post pictures of broken wheelsmith or DT spokes.
If I9 hooks him up, I'm sure he'll post that and the company will recieve it's earned credit.
so if you owned your own company, you wouldn't worry in the slightest about a pic of your product smashed up online before they even bother to contact you..even if it is has a disclaimer in the text? that wouldn't freak you out at all? do you think every person who might not approve of your product would bother reading 4 pages deep to learn the out come?:twitch:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
... it looks to me like the problem might be a combination of your crash prior to doing the 2' drop AND over-tensioned spokes...

You said the Mavic guys laced up your rims to the I-9 spokes and hubs, correct?

Nothing against the Mavic guys, because there is no way they would know this, - but when tensioning I-9 spokes the builder has to think in terms of 1/4 turn increments not 1/2 turns or even full turns. The thread pitch on the I-9 spokes is such that just a little bit of torque on a spoke wrench is more than enough to get the job done. In addition, because the spokes are so thick it's difficult to tell how much tension is stored by doing the ol' "squeeze" test.

The guys who laced up your rims were used to working with standard spokes - not the custom I-9 stuff, so they may have built up your wheel following the guidelines they had always used for standard spokes... If this was in fact the case it's not their fault, - just one of those things that you have to take into consideration and explain to mechanics before they work on your rig if you are running an unusual or custom setup.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
bizutch, I always think it's a little funny that there are lots and lots of broken parts posted here all the time, but God forbid someone post shots of a broken part from one of your chosen companies. Then we get paragraphs about why you should never mention any broken part unless the company screws you in the warranty process.

Let's be reasonable here. I would absolutely agree if the OP was railing on I9. You should seek resolution before deciding a company sucks. That's not what's going on here, though. It's just another broken part. Let it rest - it has been made quite clear that nobody is bashing the company.
pretty sure I've taken this stance in regards to any and all companies that get their broken bits posted online before someone bothers to pick up the phone. You're welcome to research it if you'd like. :thumb:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
okay, well I think I've about got this wrapped up, I just have to decide what I want to do first. I'll probably send the wheel back to them since they've got the cheapest wheel build price that I've gotten. In addition to knowing more about building up their wheels than anyone else, they are able to check which spokes have been stressed and only replace those to save me from buying extra spokes.

May 6, 2004
so if you owned your own company, you wouldn't worry in the slightest about a pic of your product smashed up online before they even bother to contact you..even if it is has a disclaimer in the text? that wouldn't freak you out at all? do you think every person who might not approve of your product would bother reading 4 pages deep to learn the out come?:twitch:
Come on, give us a break.

How about a freedom of speech?

He ["?????"] has not slashed I9, he has simply posted his story. He had a right to do so. You cannot stop people require people not to post unless I9 has resolved the issue. That would be just silly.

Reputation is something a company has to earn. As far as I know I9 is fairly reputable company so it means their products are of high quality. You have also mentioned how wonderful this company is.

So, give I9 a chance to defend itself and resolve the issue before you put any restrictions on what can be posted.

My 0.02

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Damn Im selling my wheels because I saw a busted up 1, AHHHH now I have to sell my chain, cranks, fork bars, NOT my grips or stem :D, but my pedals, rear der shock! AHH poo, Ill run around with my grips and stem and jump huck cliffs since those are the only peices Ive never seen broken! Oh wait I busted my leg twice and both ankles as well! Damn Ill just sit down and slide the next drop, Oh wait Ive busted my tail bone too! Hell Ill just go sit in a lazy boy and watch seasons! AHHHHH! I busted the DVD player :thumb: Its safer! :D:D:D:D

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Can I just say really quickly, that I think it is TERRIBLE form on your part to go posting negative publicity pics of a part from a VERY reputable US owned & operated company that pays good quality wages to local people who depend on them to feed their families. One of whom is a good friend with a wife & kid to feed.

Why post this pic before you even bother to call or get a response by email? You're just damaging the reputation of an awesome company.

Your record right now is 2 threads doing damage to 2 wonderful US companies with passionate owners, one of whom has already personally went out of his way to directly respond to you and get you exactly what you needed. Now you take this route again & don't even bother to get the problem resolved before posting pics that damage a comany's good name.

There's no reason...other than to show your ass!

GIVE ME A F'ING break......this type of forum is here specifically for people to share their opinions and experiences, both god and bad. I have not read any slander, or accusations of any kind that would "damage a company's good name".

So because some random employee of some random company has a kid means that company is immune from anyone exploring the idea of why a product fialed??

Should I make a list of all the companys that have employees with kids so that everyone knows that they are not allowed to say anything but praise for those companies?

First you bitch that east coast (specifically the SE where you are from) are being under-represented. You claim that cane creek can do no wrong (your sponsor and down the steeet from you), No-fear is the best clothing co (your sponsor and local to you), now people are not allowed to post their documented experiences with I9 (yet again a company that is local to you)...

So is it OK to post bike problems/opinions as long as it does not involve your region or a company that you have personal ties to???????

I am 100% against slandering a co to try to get results, but there is nothing but statement of fact in either of the OP's threads. If fact, without posting here, he would not have recieved his replacement frame....

We certainly would not want that to happen again(OP getting taken care of).....and have that public knowledge (or it OK to post positive things..just not neg?)...

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Damn Im selling my wheels because I saw a busted up 1, AHHHH now I have to sell my chain, cranks, fork bars, NOT my grips or stem :D, but my pedals, rear der shock! AHH poo, Ill run around with my grips and stem and jump huck cliffs since those are the only peices Ive never seen broken! Oh wait I busted my leg twice and both ankles as well! Damn Ill just sit down and slide the next drop, Oh wait Ive busted my tail bone too! Hell Ill just go sit in a lazy boy and watch seasons! AHHHHH! I busted the DVD player :thumb: Its safer! :D:D:D:D
Exactly, and it's not like the hub itself broke. Even when made with steel, spokes are understood to be a part that could break any run. We're not talking about stems and seat posts.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
okay, well I think I've about got this wrapped up, I just have to decide what I want to do first. I'll probably send the wheel back to them since they've got the cheapest wheel build price that I've gotten. In addition to knowing more about building up their wheels than anyone else, they are able to check which spokes have been stressed and only replace those to save me from buying extra spokes.
Good idea.

Countdown till the next bitch response....

5..4...3...2...1:popcorn:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Bizutch has a point, to a degree...

The thing is, many people can't be bothered to read and interact on forums, and some jump to quick judgements. Some won't read what the thread says, they will just see the pics and judge.

Better yet, some will post the pics on other sites, with brilliant titles like "so why would I buy I 9" or something stupid like that.

but.

This is the nature of the web. Thats just how it is. The only way to prevent **** like that is to never ask questions, particularly when they involve yourself.

Its ****ty for companies because the only way to fight that stuff is by either a) marketing and getting good press or b) somehow hoping that nobody ever complains again. Marketing costs money, and everybody bitches.

At least I9 is lucky in that they get good responses when you Google thier name. Hopefully the company name isn't mentioned here too much, and google will just pass this by. ;)

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Maybe instead of worrying about how people conceive your products from pictures online, you should worry more about making products that don't suck and backing up your products when **** does break?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001

First you bitch that east coast (specifically the SE where you are from) are being under-represented. You claim that cane creek can do no wrong (your sponsor and down the steeet from you), No-fear is the best clothing co (your sponsor and local to you), now people are not allowed to post their documented experiences with I9 (yet again a company that is local to you)...

Brother, I don't know who you are but you're welcome to introduce yourself & I'll be happy to sign a bottle of that Haterade you're carrying around. Seems you just know everything about me. I got me a Fanboy. :crazy:

1. I'm not sponsored by Cane Creek you toolbox. Update my wikipedia log.:cupidarrow:
2. No Fear isn't local to me. I'm in NC...they're in SoCal. Buy a map. :banana:

3. Take your meds. :thumb:

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Can I just say really quickly, that I think it is TERRIBLE form on your part to go posting negative publicity pics of a part from a VERY reputable US owned & operated company that pays good quality wages to local people who depend on them to feed their families. One of whom is a good friend with a wife & kid to feed.

Why post this pic before you even bother to call or get a response by email? You're just damaging the reputation of an awesome company.
Dude, let go of the reach-around for a sec! Everything breaks. The OP did nothing to harm the I9 rep so relax. You'll find dozens and hundreds of pics of broken Turner frames and it doesn't stop them from having one of the best reps in the biz. If anything it has strengthened their rep by showing how they handle the inevitable failure.

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Pardon my ignorance. But Mavic do XC and road aluminium spoked wheels, so the mechanic would have had a fair idea wouldn't he? Or do they have a much different thread pitch? Even so, surely he would have used a torque spoke wrench.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Dude, let go of the reach-around for a sec! Everything breaks. The OP did nothing to harm the I9 rep so relax. You'll find dozens and hundreds of pics of broken Turner frames and it doesn't stop them from having one of the best reps in the biz. If anything it has strengthened their rep by showing how they handle the inevitable failure.
no reach around. I get zero from I9 right now. :biggrin:

And I was a very faithful Turner owner til our shop carried another brand. And I was told more than once when one of our team members called up or emailed about an issue "Thanks for not posting that on the internet".

I don't pretend to know howmuch of this type of negative publicity is generated by something like this. But I do know it always generates a bunch of 15 year olds calling a bike company's tech department asking silly questions about bikes they don't have the money to buy and current owners calling up trying to send in perfectly good parts/bikes to get them warrantied "before they break like that guys online" in a sheer panic.

I'm not trying to be fanatical. Just trying to explain my viewpoint. Wanna hammer on me and try to discredit me or downplay my opinion, that's fine. Won't change my mind. If it was a company in Bend, Oregon selling wooden spoke nipple carriers, I'd still have the same view.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
a VERY reputable US owned & operated company that pays good quality wages to local people who depend on them to feed their families. One of whom is a good friend with a wife & kid to feed.
Haha, I love when people bring up the "dinner on table" argument. You think the people spending their hard-earned cash on said product/s may not also have a wife and kid to feed?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
pretty sure I've taken this stance in regards to any and all companies that get their broken bits posted online before someone bothers to pick up the phone. You're welcome to research it if you'd like. :thumb:
Gee, right on the front page:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204749

I'm not going to pick through the forum history to locate every broken part thread. You post up these comments about companies you like, and many, many broken bit threads have gone without your defense.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'll go check. The chain did break earlier that week while riding Whiteface, but I also went to a 21t cassette from my previous 32t so even after removing a couple links it should have been long enough... but I'll go remove the spring and see.
Is that a short-cage derailer that I spy? If so, that can be a no-no with a bike that has a lot of chaingrowth. It's really popular for people to put them on, but there can be tradeoffs, and some bikes with more minimal chain growth are better suited for em. Yeah, it can work, but really make sure you know what you're doing, the teeth-spread doesn't take into account the extending BB/dropout distance.

Last edited:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Is that a short-cage derailer that I spy? If so, that can be a no-no with a bike that has a lot of chaingrowth. It's really popular for people to put them on, but there can be tradeoffs, and some bikes with more minimal chain growth are better suited for em. Yeah, it can work, but really make sure you know what you're doing, the teeth-spread doesn't take into account the extending BB/dropout distance.
It was just right. I played around with that today to see if I could take out any more links and it just gets a little too tight at the end of the travel for me with the 2 other links taken out. How it was last weekend was good though.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Whenever I see a post by

????

I can bet its a bitch and moan fest from the guy about some product he was using...and sure enough.

Love the intardnet.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Gee, right on the front page:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204749

I'm not going to pick through the forum history to locate every broken part thread. You post up these comments about companies you like, and many, many broken bit threads have gone without your defense.
oh...I see. Because I take a certain stance, I'm required to shove my nose in ALL threads with the potential for me to take that stance. OK. How could I forget?:huh:
If I meet with your displeasure oh infinite one, I apologize.:twitch:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Personally I think this thread is an opportunity for I9 to get some good rep for customer service, and for I9 customers to learn more about the product (tension guidelines, etc.). Stuff happens, especially with high-end, lightweight parts. What's important is how the company handles it.

But ?????, to be fair I do think you should post more info about your interaction with I9, if they have provided any explanation, and more detail about the cost of getting it fixed. That might need to wait until you send the wheel back, but still, hopefully you'll update this thread. If they handle it well, no damage to the rep and in fact it might even help.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
so based on that you believe NO negative press will have been generated by the posting of those pics without first seeking a resolution and only good things can come from him putting them online before calling?
I've seen plenty of people post a picture of a hemi with a piston cracked into 6 pieces and its not necessarily bashing Mopar/dodge...maybe a title like "what happens when you shoot 250 shot of nos without a proper tune"...its some kind of user/builder error, not a crack at the manufacturer. People posting pics and bad mounthing a company right away before contacting them kinda suck, but this wasn't the case in my eyes. US company or not...

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
okay okay, everyone get the sand out of their vaginas.

I broke a bunch of spokes in one side of my rear wheel. I thought it was interesting and different that all the spokes only on that side broke when I knew I hadn't gotten anything caught in the spokes. I posted some pics of the wreckage to hopefully learn what might have gone wrong and because of the thread I find out that most likely the spokes on that side where just tightened up too much at some point (not necessarily by the Mavic tech, a lot of different people have gotten their spoke wrenches on the wheel since then).

Meanwhile, I have been exchanging e-mails with I-9, who have been super helpful and quick to reply.

...and I must have missed the part where I blamed this on I-9 or thought this was their fault???