Quantcast

I9 Carnage pics

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I don't know if they would appreciate me copy pasting the whole e-mail since those are usually understood to be private interactions, but I can copy-paste some parts of the e-mails.

"Walker,

Sorry to hear about your broken spokes.
Typical retail on these spokes would be about $7 ea (for single quantities).
However given your situation, we will offer them to you at crash replacement
pricing.

(Info about pricing for varying amounts of spokes and prices for color fade spokes)

If you would like to send the wheel to us for repair, we could certainly
help you with that. The turnaround time would be 48 hours.
Let me know and I will issue you a RA #.

Regards,

Jeff Baucom
Sales Manager
Industry Nine Componentry"

"Labor to re-build the wheel would be $30.

If you sent it to us, we would only replace the spokes that have been
severly stressed or damaged and charge you accordingly. That way you would
get out as cheaply as possible.

Just let me know.

Regards,

Jeff Baucom"

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
...and I must have missed the part where I blamed this on I-9 or thought this was their fault???
You didn't miss anything, because there's nothing to miss. Some people just get their panties in a bunch when the well being of their "people" is on the line (or so they think).

99.9963% of the posters in this thread perceived the thread the way you meant it to be perceived.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

...and I must have missed the part where I blamed this on I-9 or thought this was their fault???
never implied you said it was their fault. That was not what I said. Just that it's bad form to post pics b4 getting the company to respond first. And no surprise that Jeff did a good job.

Ideal scenario is post a thread that shows the damage done & the resolution of the manufacturer all in the first post...since that is all 99% of RM's will read is your first post b4 moving to the next thread.

The Iron Horse thread Sticky is an excellent example. SKC keeps the very 1st post current & up to date. If a RM'er is brand new to the thread, they can find all you need to know in that first post, not page 8.

Glad they got you squared away.:thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You didn't miss anything, because there's nothing to miss. Some people just get their panties in a bunch when the well being of their "people" is on the line (or so they think).

99.9963% of the posters in this thread perceived the thread the way you meant it to be perceived.
The only panties I wear are the ones your mom leaves behind. :banana:

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
so based on that you believe NO negative press will have been generated by the posting of those pics without first seeking a resolution and only good things can come from him putting them online before calling?
the only thing negative in here is your ranting, by defending the company this way YOU are giving them a bad name.......like others, I saw the pics, and was planning on just moving on without posting before I saw your posts. Contrary to what you're saying, however, I never thought to myself "man, what a piece of **** wheel". I9 has undisputed quality...**** breaks.....

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
Either way, I love my I9's and don't really give a fvck what people say. They've held up to a year and half of racing and the only problems so far were just the retensioning that needs to be done.

My lbs is smart about it though. They go to I9's website and check the numbers first before doing anything.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
I don't know if they would appreciate me copy pasting the whole e-mail since those are usually understood to be private interactions, but I can copy-paste some parts of the e-mails.

"Walker,

Sorry to hear about your broken spokes.
Typical retail on these spokes would be about $7 ea (for single quantities).
However given your situation, we will offer them to you at crash replacement
pricing.

(Info about pricing for varying amounts of spokes and prices for color fade spokes)

If you would like to send the wheel to us for repair, we could certainly
help you with that. The turnaround time would be 48 hours.
Let me know and I will issue you a RA #.

Regards,

Jeff Baucom
Sales Manager
Industry Nine Componentry"

"Labor to re-build the wheel would be $30.

If you sent it to us, we would only replace the spokes that have been
severly stressed or damaged and charge you accordingly. That way you would
get out as cheaply as possible.

Just let me know.

Regards,

Jeff Baucom"
So.... Your name is Walker? Alright that explains it...I have no reason to post here.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
?????, I notice from the pics that your chain is on upside-down. I'm surprised no-one else has commented on this...:clue:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
oh...I see. Because I take a certain stance, I'm required to shove my nose in ALL threads with the potential for me to take that stance. OK. How could I forget?:huh:
If I meet with your displeasure oh infinite one, I apologize.:twitch:
Mate I understand that you mean well, but really, just shut up. You're bringing up more ill-will in this thread than the original poster did, and if I was going to decide whether or not to buy I9 products I'd be more inclined to associate you as one of their representatives as a whiner who expected secrecy in the case of product failure simply because the company was American, than I would be to look at the first post and simply think "Oh right, I9 must suck".

Nobody here has badmouthed I9 in any way, it's been well established, but here YOU are looking like a goose of a representative. If you want their image to be the best it can be, I'd recommend piping down about now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
oh...I see. Because I take a certain stance, I'm required to shove my nose in ALL threads with the potential for me to take that stance. OK. How could I forget?:huh:
If I meet with your displeasure oh infinite one, I apologize.:twitch:
I love the martyrdom routine that people take on when they argue with a mod. It's really cute. Why is my status as a moderator relevant here?

Of course you don't need to do it for all threads, but you were the one who was denying my claim that you only post in certain cases. I disagree with your stance, and was just noting that your vigorous defense seems to be limited to certain near-and-dear manufacturers.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
So.... Your name is Walker? Alright that explains it...I have no reason to post here.
"I thank you for my two boys, Walker, and Texas Ranger".

"If I wanted by boys to grow up to be wussies I would have named them Dr Quinn and Medicine Woman".

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
Wow. I was researching i9 and glad I came across this. Thanks for posting it up with full disclosure pics. I love it how "close friends" of the company would have preferred you to "sweep this under the covers".

I will never buy an i9 wheelset now knowing that the spoke tensioning is such a sensitive issue that can lead to a total wheel failure. This is obviously not the first time this has happened to i9 wheels either. I really think people should think things through before continuing to commit to aluminum spokes.

The rider is obviously very lucky. Could have ended much, much worse.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Wow. I was researching i9 and glad I came across this. Thanks for posting it up with full disclosure pics. I love it how "close friends" of the company would have preferred you to "sweep this under the covers".

I will never buy an i9 wheelset now knowing that the spoke tensioning is such a sensitive issue that can lead to a total wheel failure. This is obviously not the first time this has happened to i9 wheels either. I really think people should think things through before continuing to commit to aluminum spokes.

The rider is obviously very lucky. Could have ended much, much worse.
You bumped a 5 month old thread to say you would not buy an I9 wheelset?
Seriously.
Well, here is the real scoop on the wheels and the company.
I have been on the same set of I9's for almost 3 years, and just recently had the hubshell switched out for a 150mm bike. They have held up better for me than any other wheelset I have owned, and I am 14 years deep in this racing game. I randomly tighten the spokes every now and then, and I have to do that less than with my previous wheels.
The engagement is incredible, and the wheels are very lively and precise.
As far as broken spokes, the only time I have done that was recently at the NC DH State Champ race when my limit screw was off, and my chain jumped into the rear hub and broke off 6 spokes first thing on race day. This was my fault and would have happened with any wheel.
But here is the difference:
I had a cell phone number of an I9 employee and called him to see if was possible for me to fix it and race that day.
Instead, he drove 40 miunutes out to the race venue, fixed my wheel for me, and my first run of the day was my race run.:thumb:
My expericence with them has been nothing but positive, both product and service.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I agree. This was a stupid bump, and the comment was completely ignorant.

OOOOH, a wheel failed. Happens to them all. Granted, the proprietary spokes makes for a more expensive repair, spokes are harder to get, and so on. But the wheels kick ass, perform amazingly, and are durable.

For the Zombie thread bump, and subsequent dumbarse post, I throw feces at you.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Instead, he drove 40 miunutes out to the race venue, fixed my wheel for me, and my first run of the day was my race run.:thumb:
My expericence with them has been nothing but positive, both product and service.
He also took the time to tune the derailleur on my bike, just to make sure I was ready to race.

The only downside to I9s is that you will want a set for every bike you have.

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
I realize the last post was in July. I was researching i9's and following the very advice that most of you preach every day ("Do a search... wah wah wah") instead of starting a new thread. It's not like I dug up a 3 yr old post. Stop crying.

I'm not disputing their customer service. It sounds like that is top notch. No dispute there. I dont buy products though with the intention of dealing with customer service.

To put it simply, I have never seen such horrific failure from "routine" riding. Maybe some bent spokes or maybe even a handful of failed spokes but an entire side? From a 2 foot drop? This was not an isolated incident either.

I sincerely hope they have very good liability insurance.

Last edited:

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
But here is the difference:
I had a cell phone number of an I9 employee and called him to see if was possible for me to fix it and race that day.
Instead, he drove 40 miunutes out to the race venue, fixed my wheel for me...

With all due respect, that is very biased...

Do they publish cell phone numbers on their website and offer to drive to fix everyone's broken wheel?

Obviously you have an "in" with them otherwise this would not be the case.

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
Dude, just don't get I-9's if you don't want to. Done and done. No one on this forum is going to make you get them, it is obvious that you don't want to so don't. You're totally freaking out on the internet over some wheels brah.

Another Idea for you could be to get the standard I-9 hub and build it up with normal spokes...that is if you want to. If you don't want to, you don't have to, I am just making a suggestion of another route you could take.

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
With all due respect, that is very biased...

Do they publish cell phone numbers on their website and offer to drive to fix everyone's broken wheel?

Obviously you have an "in" with them otherwise this would not be the case.
Yep, its biased.
Its also just another example of how the company operates.
There is a reason there is such a long wait for their wheelsets.
I find it f***ing hilarious that your coming on here and acting all,
"OMG, a bunch of spokes broke, I hope they have good liability insurance."
A few years back, I straight exploded a Sun wheel at Diablo. I kept breaking spokes because the rim was beat, and on my last practice run before the race, I went off a small rock and it blew up. More than half of my spokes broke, ripped my rear der. into my wheel and the rim crushed in. It almost threw me on my head.
But I didn't go around and tell people that steel spokes were dangerous.
Waters wet, the sky is blue, and bike parts break.
All in the game.

jeremyb

Monkey
Dec 3, 2004
Christchurch, New Zealand
Does he do international calls? New Zealands not that far away and thats the sorta service I want!!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
so based on that you believe NO negative press will have been generated by the posting of those pics without first seeking a resolution and only good things can come from him putting them online before calling?
It's a forum, despite the way most people use them, they're for discussions.

This thread isnt even slightly out of line, and is more on track than most.

-- I have 5 years on some XT hubs with Mammoth rims - forget your 3 yr I9's folx.

(What wondrous logic of the self-congratulating.)

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
I think I may have seen something about I9 somewhere in this thread I'm not entirely positive though.:crazy:

Interesting information on something that could go wrong and how it was handled. Good thread except for the filler.

J. G.

Chimp
Nov 25, 2008
It's a forum, despite the way most people use them, they're for discussions.

This thread isnt even slightly out of line, and is more on track than most.

-- I have 5 years on some XT hubs with Mammoth rims - forget your 3 yr I9's folx.

(What wondrous logic of the self-congratulating.)
Mammoth...damn that brings me back

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
Yeah, in my 30 years I just started pedaling last week... hope to get the training wheels off by racing season.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Since this came back up, the reason the spokes broke was due to being over tightened. To be fair, I never looked at the instructions and I doubt many shops know that they shouldn't be as tight as a steel spoke, but that's with any proprietary wheel.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Since this came back up, the reason the spokes broke was due to being over tightened. To be fair, I never looked at the instructions and I doubt many shops know that they shouldn't be as tight as a steel spoke, but that's with any proprietary wheel.
This is what I was theenking from 1st post!

Did you change up the spoke color as mentioned? They are definitely some sweet hoops.

Last edited: