Quantcast

I9 hydra hub axle issue!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I don't have an issue with the axle, it seems that the few are hydra hubs not torch or pre torch...that being said I've had great luck on em and have 3 sets now..

But a buddy brought up breaking 2 axles on hub body rear...
He's 6'7 220lbs and rides Enduro..

Heres a possible thought!! I have rode bikes and flexed the living crap out of rear triangles and they added gussets to em to remedy this making rear stiffer...I have broken rear triangles...

Possibly the breakage is too much flex in rear of the triangle and the frame design is relying on the hub shell and axle to add strength causing failure..(not too say i9 shouldn't maybe make a thicker axle due to undersignt by some frame companies)..

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Couldn't this be a similar issue as Hope hubs had? When combined with a certain Maxle, the tapering of the Maxle and hub were in the same place, resulting in the hub axle cracking. I think Hope fixed that with the Evo II.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Not the axle in the hub, but what's the actual axle that came with the bike like, is it tapered? If so try changing to a non-tapered to support the hub axle the entire length, rather than just the outsides.

e.g.
(but obviously the correct one for his frame)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
There was someone asking about the same issue on empty beer yesterday:

I9 steel axle:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Now I'm curious to see how my Hydra Axle is looking. I've had a creak at the back of my bike somewhere and haven't been able to figure out where it's originating from.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Now I'm curious to see how my Hydra Axle is looking. I've had a creak at the back of my bike somewhere and haven't been able to figure out where it's originating from.
It’s the hub bearings. Mine had a nasty creak last season, replaced most of the drivetrain still happening. Decided to check the hub. Axle was fine, but ended up being a shell bearing. What sucks is it specs an oddball size bearing which can be challenging to find in a shop. I had to order mine directly from Enduro. Replaced all the shell bearings and good as new.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
It’s the hub bearings. Mine had a nasty creak last season, replaced most of the drivetrain still happening. Decided to check the hub. Axle was fine, but ended up being a shell bearing. What sucks is it specs an oddball size bearing which can be challenging to find in a shop. I had to order mine directly from Enduro. Replaced all the shell bearings and good as new.
Never go full enduro!
Ntn -llb all day every day sometimes I'll do llu on the out facing bearings for the wet season.

I found for 15mm front axle i9 that the 18x30x7 is uncommon and NA from ntn, koyo, nsk. Can only find it through dt swiss, a 240 bearing.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Update/Question a year later because I'm lazy and haven't done shit about fuck, and I'm finally replacing all my bearings in my bike and fixing my shit.

You have any luck with finding anything higher quality than what I9 runs? I assume they're just running the same stock Enduro bearings you ordered directly - any chance you remember what size they were? I haven't taken my wheels apart to figure out what sizes I need and I figured I'd figure out what I needed and order them so I only have to take them apart once.

Also, looking at my bikes rear axle, I'm seeing some wear marks on it in the shape and size of bearings - nothing deep or concerning, just the anodizing wearing off, but I don't think that hydra bearings sit directly on the bikes axle, which makes me think I probably need to look into one of those steel axles, I haven't taken one apart and I'm trying to find the lazy option before I start tearing the thing apart and inevitably leave the bike sitting useless for a few weeks because I'm too lazy to put it back together with worn parts.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'd just replace your rear axle with another alu one. But try to take care of the next set of bearings sooner. Wouldn't you rather your thru axle anodising wore than the hub's axle bore?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I broke my rear axle (a mere 205 pounds with gear). Granted I'd been riding the wheels for 3+ years and several thousand decently rough miles. The replacement was pretty different so maybe/hopefully they've made changes to address the issue?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Update/Question a year later because I'm lazy and haven't done shit about fuck, and I'm finally replacing all my bearings in my bike and fixing my shit.

You have any luck with finding anything higher quality than what I9 runs? I assume they're just running the same stock Enduro bearings you ordered directly - any chance you remember what size they were? I haven't taken my wheels apart to figure out what sizes I need and I figured I'd figure out what I needed and order them so I only have to take them apart once.

Also, looking at my bikes rear axle, I'm seeing some wear marks on it in the shape and size of bearings - nothing deep or concerning, just the anodizing wearing off, but I don't think that hydra bearings sit directly on the bikes axle, which makes me think I probably need to look into one of those steel axles, I haven't taken one apart and I'm trying to find the lazy option before I start tearing the thing apart and inevitably leave the bike sitting useless for a few weeks because I'm too lazy to put it back together with worn parts.
I didn't find anything at a reasonable price for the 15307 bearing so I ended up replacing like for like (supply chain issues is why I went directly to Enduro at the time). That was the more challenging one for me to locate. The front Hydra I installed the Endura hybrid ceramic (6 months now) and both Onyx hubs on the DH bike are running hybrid ceramics and has made it 2 seasons so far at Northstar, then again the DH bike is ridden maybe 15-20 days a year, so not a true evaluation on durability, but so far so good as well as my trail bike which is ridden at least one day a week. The rear Hydra axle showed some discoloration where the bearings sit, but no noticeable wear so I'll just keep rolling it until it breaks, if it ever does.