Quantcast

Ibook and external display question

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Hi,

Hopefully some of you can help me. I have an IBook that's on it's last legs. It's a few years old. Dual USB 600mhz Ibook, the 12" screen version.

When I open the screen past 45 degrees it blacks out. I've read up on past ibook problems and it seems like this has happened to many.

Anyway, if I hooked it up to an external monitor via the VGA adaptor, will the screen quality be the same? It can "mirror", but I'm not sure what that means. Like if it's a copy of what's on the laptop screen, but of lesser quality or if it's the exact same quality.

I figure I can find an external monitor cheap, and then save and get a new laptop later.

I should look for an external monitor with the same resolution right? In this case 1024x786 i guess..

Thanks for the help.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
mirror is the same resolution your monitor is set at but it's easily adjusted in your display settings to what your external monitor can use given your video card can output it.
In simplest form you should have no issues with it

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Excellent. Thanks for the fast reply. It'll be nice not having to crack the laptop open to 45 degrees, prop it up and type hunchback style.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Just attach the monitor and a keyboard, boot the laptop and immediately close it. It will turn off the lcd and become a desktop computer. If the laptop is sleeping, attach them and hit a key to wake it up, no need to open it. I run my Apple laptops like this all the time. It works great.