Quantcast

IDrive

stu

Chimp
Sep 22, 2001
Fort Collins, CO
I'm looking for info on dismantling and rebuilding the eccentric on the GT Idrive. Any help would be greatly appreciated! It's a '99 1000 model. Thanks

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Not recommended unless you are a skilled bike tech. If so, contact your local GT rep (if he hasn't quit yet) and request a tech sheet for the I-Drive.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
But like Merwin pointed out, let your bike shop do it if you are not good at wrenching. I have 3 I-drives, so I've done this multiple times. So briefly here are the steps as I recall them:

1) Take your cranks off
2) Remove the small (3 of them) locking bolts that are the side of your eccentric (2.5mm)
3) With a spanner wrench (red Park) in the non-threaded adjustment holes, unscrew lockring (counter clockwise)
4) Remove the dogbone (which you should inspect for wear and tear)
5) Remove the eccentric from the right side of the frame (inspect for wear and tear)
6) With the eccentric out and the shock of the bike removed...move the swingarm up and down. It should feel smooth, if not your main pivot bearing might be shot!
7) Clean the eccentric
8) Repack the bearings
9) Reassemble. when you do..make sure that the threaded holes line up with the indents on the eccentric. When you tighten the lockring, think of adjusting a headset cause it's the same principle.