Quantcast

If you don't have a bmx bike, you need one.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Holy crap this is fun. I think I originally stopped riding bmx when I got a car. I've just been out screwing around for an hour or so the last couple nights. It's addicting. Going to hit up a local park tomorrow am, so hopefully I'm able to go home under my own power afterwards.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yea, I want to go over there and check it out. I have talked to a few people that go and said they have practice nights where it's just open. I think you just have to have a full face helmet. Sounds like the kids will pretty much just run you over haha.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I've been wanting a bmx bike for a while but my wife thinks I'm crazy. Although I guess she already thinks I'm crazy since I already have 3 different mountain bikes.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I've been wanting a bmx bike for a while but my wife thinks I'm crazy. Although I guess she already thinks I'm crazy since I already have 3 different mountain bikes.
It is seriously the best $200 I have spent lately. I still love the mtb, but for just cheap entertainment, it's rad. A top of the line frame is 3-400 bucks. I've been just playing around with stupid stuff like manuals, footjam tailwhips and 180s in front of the house.

Kaz, my bud J nearly killed himself on one a few years back. he swore them off, and that dude can handle a bike. good luck.
You nearly killed yourself on a mountain bike :D

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I can't ride for **** but I ride my DJ at the bmx track with the kids all the time, its a good time and a good workout.

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I've ridden BMX since I started high school (1999) and took up DH in 2008. Honestly, I think I have hurt myself worse riding downhill than BMX.

Its always fun to switch up your riding.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It is seriously the best $200 I have spent lately. I still love the mtb, but for just cheap entertainment, it's rad. A top of the line frame is 3-400 bucks.
this. you can build a fully pimped out bmx bike for less than a decent mtb frame costs. simpler, and harder to break.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Full-on new school/ no brakes!?!? You crazy!
Awesome to see you enjoying it. Grew up riding bmx, and been having fun with it again for the past couple years. Don't huck myself as much, but I've learned to have a good time without doing that part.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I bought the bike that way. It takes some getting used to, but tail whips are definitely easier with no brake cable in the way.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I want a BMX bike for the track. Already have a 26"park/DJ bike and a silly bike with no seat for 'tricks'.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey kazlx... the vans skate park has a pretty sweet cement pool. they only have a few bmx sessions a week (IIRC sunday AM is one of them). would be worth checking out.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
After 20+ years of mtb, I've been riding a BMX almost exclusively for the past year or so and loving it. Started on a mtbmx following my kid around the parks, but the big wheels just never really felt right , so I finally broke down and picked up a 20". A high end BMX is like the price of half an mtb fork, and it's way, way easier to toss around. For some reason, it gives me a lot more confidence dropping in or popping out of stuff too. I also find I'm a lot more likely to just grab it spontaneously and go ride than I would w/ an mtb (even though I've got trail starting 20' from my driveway.) My major goal is to make a turn above the coping by the time I'm 50.
:thumb:

[/IMG]

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
It has been worth it to just be able to go out I front of my house and practice 180s and manuals. Like you said, I have been much more apt to just take it out for 30 min and screw around.

Ride Monzie

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Killafornia
For serious question: I need new bars for mine. I know almost nothing about BMX components. I was looking at a few and have decided I think I have it down to the Shadow Conspiracy Vultus 8" in matte purple (cheap as fuuuuuuuck cuz they purp) maybe matte black but that puts the price ten more bucks than the others I was looking at. Those being the Skavenger Swift in matte black 8". Anyone have an opinion either way? other options I should consider?

I also need a new sprocket and rear tire. I think I can figure those out but if you got a suggestion, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I just got a pair of those purple bars in 8.25 rise.

Why do you need new bars?
How tall are you?
etc...

I like the bars I got.

for tires, I like fat/wide tires. I got some cheap ones from Dans awhile back. I always 'order by lowest price' and go from there. with all my parts. :D

Ride Monzie

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Killafornia
My crossbar is too wide. I like it narrow. I'm 5'4" and weigh 130/135lbs any given day. Plus, I want to drop some weight. I traded my stock bars for some dudes heavier bars a while back because he had a shorter cross bar. I'm not too sure what my TT length is but I think it's 20" maybe 20.5'".

I organize by lightest weight and do the weight to price ratio comparison. That shoots the Vultus to the top when purple.

Last edited: