Quantcast

If you were going to move somewhere just for the biking, where would it be?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
One of my co-workers I ride with from time to time today emailed me and asked "If you could move anywhere, with the main basis of selection being good biking, where would you go?"

I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't have a very good answer off the top of my head.

Where would you go, and why? Factor in, if you want, the ability to earn enough of a living to keep you in bike parts and booze.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Bend Oregon. DH, AM, XC... all there and one of the most bike friendly communities I've ever had the pleasure of spending a weekend in.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Your mom's house.

Bend Oregon. DH, AM, XC... all there and one of the most bike friendly communities I've ever had the pleasure of spending a weekend in.
Dirt could pull it off in Bend because he takes his job with him. I on the other hand would be living in a van down by the river. Aint no jobs in Bend for folks like me compared to Portland.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
If you went to my mom's house, would you **** in her fish tank?

I thought about Bend. I thought about Moab. I thought about Grand Junction and Fruita. None of these seemed like the end-all-be-all answer to this question.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Damo promiced to send me some adoption papers a year ago but since it didnt happen I still want to live in the Morzine/Chatel/Morgins area. Amazing riding, great weather. A bit crappy if you want a big female supply but that probably changes in the winter.

...I thought about Bend. I thought about Moab. I thought about Grand Junction and Fruita. None of these seemed like the end-all-be-all answer to this question.
I hope that you don't really believe that there's a EABAA for your question.

It would strike me that most of the upper case Destination locations would have too high a contingent of fools for a long stay.

If I had reason to move, which I don't at present, There are a lot of considerations that would come before bicycling, and pedals work anywhere.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Well, there were some other considerations, but I DID have that question posed to me and the answer was Orange County.
  • Ride year round in shorts and a t-shirt.
  • Epic XC (there is a race here that is 56 miles with 13,000 feet of climbing... point to point),
  • Trail rides of the top caliber,
  • and lots of DH that you can shuttle if you want. Some of it will make all but the top level pro's butts pucker.

Plus you can get to SanDiego trails or north LA within about an hour or so. Lift DH is a little short in availability (Mammoth), but Snow Summit has some moderate DH/Trail stuff that you can use a lift for and that is only about an hour and a half away.
Oh, and throw in Vegas/bootleg about 4.5 hrs away, Santa Barbara about 2.5 hrs away...

Lots of jobs, nice lookin females... high cost of living, I'll admit, but most jobs here will pay to compensate.

Last edited:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Since this is hypothetical i'm cheating and changing my answer by season. Of places I've been...

Summer in Crested Butte or Tahoe.

Rest of the year in Brevard, NC.

Granted, I don't think I've found the "perfect" spot yet...still looking. But these are not bad places to be, to say the least.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Lots of jobs, nice lookin females... high cost of living, I'll admit, but most jobs here will pay to compensate.
Not enough for me to have to put up with SoCal assholes. :rofl:

Portland has too much walkability for me to want to live elsewhere at the moment.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Since this is fantasy world, I would spend many years traveling the world, sticking around certain places long enough to get a good feel before moving on. After at least 10 - 15 years or so of that kind of wandering I would set roots in a few different places so I could chase the sun and great trail conditions year round. Summers in whistler or the Alps and winters in hawaii or Australia would be a good start, but of course I would also be able to jump on a plane or whatever any time I wanted, so nothing would prevent me from hitting the goods anywhere, anytime.

But in reality? After balancing lots of factors I still like the Bay Area.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Since this is hypothetical i'm cheating and changing my answer by season. Of places I've been...

Summer in Crested Butte or Tahoe.

Rest of the year in Brevard, NC.

Granted, I don't think I've found the "perfect" spot yet...still looking. But these are not bad places to be, to say the least.
Just got back from there. It would be perfect for him, plenty of gun toting rednecks and more trails then you could ever ride in a season.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I recently visited my uncle in Nevada City, CA - that area seems good - near downieville, truckee, tahoe, etc...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm going to avoid the "grass is always greener" mindset, and say where I am. Plenty of variety in terms of terrain in a relatively short riding distance. Combine that with the same job concern JD mentioned, and I don't think I could beat New England as a balance of maintaining a solid career and great riding.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yeah, Morzine is alright I s'pose. :)

However, we've been dreaming of a shift to Merica. It's not going to happen, but it would be sweet to be somewhere cool where everyone speaks English.

Colorado or Oregon or California.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah, Morzine is alright I s'pose. :)

However, we've been dreaming of a shift to Merica. It's not going to happen, but it would be sweet to be somewhere cool where everyone speaks English.

Colorado or Oregon or California.
Don't complain. Half of the people in Morzine are brits anyway ;)