Quantcast

I'm a BAD AMERICAN!

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
YES I'M A BAD AMERICAN

I am your worst Nightmare. I am a BAD American. I am Bill Lukshides.

I believe the money i make belongs to me and my family, and not some mid level governmental functionary be it Democratic or Republican!

I'm in touch with my feelings and i like it that way, damn it!

I think owning a gun doesn't make you a killer, it makes you a smart American.

I think being a minority does not make you noble or victimized , and does not entitle you to anything.

I believe that if you are selling me a Big Mac, try to do it in ENGLISH.

I think fireworks should be legal on the 4th of July.

I think that being a student doesn't give you any more enlightenment than working at Blockbuster. In fact, if your parents are footing the bill to put your pansy ass through 4 years plus, of college, you haven't begun to be enlightened.

I believe everyone has a right to pray to his or her God when and where they want to.

My heroes are John Wayne, Babe Ruth, Roy Rogers, and whoever cancels Jerry Springer.

I don't hate the rich. I don't pity the poor.

I know wrestling is fake and i don't waste my time arguing about it.

I think global warming is a big lie. Where are all those experts now, when i'm freezing my ass off during these long winters and speings and paying, paying, paying?

I've never owned a slave, or was a slave, i didn't wander forty years in the desert after getting chased out of Egypt. I haven't burned any witches or been persecuted by the Turks and neither have you! So, shut-the-hell-up already.

I want to know which church is it exactly where the Reverend Jesse Jackson practices, where he gets his money, and why he is always part of the problem and not the solution? Can i get an AMEN on that one?

I think the cops have every right to shoot you sorry ass if you're running from them.

I also think they have the right to pull your ass over in you're breaking the law, regardless of what color you are.

I think if you are too stupid to know how a ballot works, i don't want you deciding who should be running the most powerful nation in the world for the next four years.

I dislike those people standing in the intersections trying to sell me crap or trying to guilt me into making "donations" to their cause. These people should be targets.

I believe that it doesn't take a village to raise a child, it takes two parents.

I believe if she has her lips on your Willie, it's sex, and this applies even if you are the President of the United States.

And what the hell is going on with the gas prices... again?

If this makes me a BAD American, then yes, I'm a BAD American.

We need our country back!

GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.

R

RideMonkey

I'm an idiot for spending time on this but here goes......

Originally posted by Certified Drunk
I believe the money i make belongs to me and my family, and not some mid level governmental functionary be it Democratic or Republican!

Do you think you make more than everyone else in the world because you are smarter or work harder than say the chinese man, the french man, or the Australian man? Nope, you make a bundle simply because you live in a rich society created by a progressive government. Quit complaining.

Huh?

I must be an idiot.

I think being a minority does not make you noble or victimized , and does not entitle you to anything.

Understood. Current government policies DO foster resentment towards minorities due to percieved "favoritism" of minority groups. Complex issue that can't be summarized by one line.

Give me a break.

snore.

I think that being a student doesn't give you any more enlightenment than working at Blockbuster. In fact, if your parents are footing the bill to put your pansy ass through 4 years plus, of college, you haven't begun to be enlightened.

A majority of people pay for it on their own. People who did not face the hardships of financing a college education often like to belittle those that have by making these generalizations.

I believe everyone has a right to pray to his or her God when and where they want to.

Nope. Theres a time and place for this kind of thing.

My heroes are John Wayne, Babe Ruth, Roy Rogers, and whoever cancels Jerry Springer.

Hey everyone lets join the KKK. Pure class.

The one statement worth anything in this waste of space.

OK make that two.

I think global warming is a big lie. Where are all those experts now, when i'm freezing my ass off during these long winters and speings and paying, paying, paying?

True or not, what do you armchair scientists know about it?

I've never owned a slave, or was a slave, i didn't wander forty years in the desert after getting chased out of Egypt. I haven't burned any witches or been persecuted by the Turks and neither have you! So, shut-the-hell-up already.

Some merit here. Some people do like to blame their lack of achievment in life on persecution of past generations. Get out and live YOUR life already.

I want to know which church is it exactly where the Reverend Jesse Jackson practices, where he gets his money, and why he is always part of the problem and not the solution? Can i get an AMEN on that one?

Or how about a "why do I care?"

I think the cops have every right to shoot you sorry ass if you're running from them.

Maybe so.

I also think they have the right to pull your ass over in you're breaking the law, regardless of what color you are.

True, but this whole "article" seems to have an ignorant racist slant to it that shouldn't go unnoticed even if individual statements ring true.

I think if you are too stupid to know how a ballot works, i don't want you deciding who should be running the most powerful nation in the world for the next four years.

Interesting. This is obviously a post from the Republican point of view, yet the result of this issue would be the election of a Democratic president, Al Gore.

I dislike those people standing in the intersections trying to sell me crap or trying to guilt me into making "donations" to their cause. These people should be targets.

These people are annoying yes, but targets?

I believe that it doesn't take a village to raise a child, it takes two parents.

Yes obviously mainstream America is doing a fine job raising their children (I worked in a National Guard boot camp for troubled teens so I know a thing or two about the state of youth in this country)

I believe if she has her lips on your Willie, it's sex, and this applies even if you are the President of the United States.

I also believe that what a man does is between him and his wife, even if he is the president.

We pay far less than anyone else in the world for gas, and make much more, yet make a big stink if the price of gas shoots up 20%. Face it, we have created a behemoth of a highway system that we can barely afford while public transportation alternatives have been largely ignored. Go America!

You're right, but not back into the sorry state outline by this document.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
YES I'M A BAD AMERICAN

GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.

Maybe it's just me...but the comments that I have kept from his post ...seem a bit racist and angry to me......I think someone needs to look at the big picture....D

R

RideMonkey

The worst thing about that is the quip about college.

Discounting the value of education is the ultimate ignorance.

I have a degree. I don't feel that it makes me any better than people that do not have degrees. My father does not have a college degree. If I can ever be the person that he is I will have achieved something great.

Yet I still yearn for knowledge. I often find myself wanting to leave the business world and return to acedemia only so that I can learn more. Not to improve my status in society or my paycheck, just to improve my knowledge and understanding of the world.

If everyone in this country committed themselves to a path of open-mindedness and learning, rather than the selfish, separatist statement made in this thread, we would trully be a great society.

G

gravity

YES I'M A BAD AMERICAN

I am your worst Nightmare. I am a BAD American. I am Bill Lukshides.

your taxes paid for that road outside your house

.......and.....?

when everyone's got one...... ever heard of the Cold War? you know what it could have become? what's so smart about that?

Unfortunately, there is a certain amount of truth in this...... over here, Aborigines receive a regular payout just because they are Aboriginal, regardless of employment status, income etc.

would you rike flies with that? :rolleyes:

why only on the 4th of July? just cos it's my birthday? i think fireworks should be legal to people over the age of 18/21/whatever you call "adult"

what in the depths of Hell are you talking about?

well we almost ran into a van full of Muslims about a year ago, when they stopped on the freeway at dusk to pray. they didn't pull over or anything, so there has to be some sort of reason here.

thou shalt not idolise...... other guys....yeh...

me neither

no SH!T

LMAO!!

i haven't met many people who need to learn to shut the hell up as much as you

i don't think anybody really cares....

yeah, why not. good idea. every time you get pulled over by the cops, and you take more than .2 of a second to do it, they can say "you were trying to run from us"

....and....?

so true...... i still don't really care though.

i know. if we wanted to buy a novelty pen that didn't actually work, we'd go to school stationery suppliers :D

yeah, so?

this is relevant to what, how and why?

yanks have the cheapest gas prices in the WORLD, yet you still complain. this will sound racist, but only americans could complain that much.

you've still got it, never lost it, just majorly screwed it with the overidealistic morons who are superpowerful but actually don't have a fuggin clue what they're talking about

GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.

so the rest of the world is unimportant then. thanks.

Granola

Chimp
Apr 16, 2002
At work or at school.
Originally posted by RideMonkey
If everyone in this country committed themselves to a path of open-mindedness and learning, rather than the selfish, separatist statement made in this thread, we would trully be a great society.
What more can I add to that....thank you rm.

splat

Nam I am
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
FYI: This is from George Carlin.

I agree with some of this, I disagree with some of this. Take it for what it's worth...George Carlin venting.

IAB is correct this is from George Carlin.

At the end of one of his 90 Minute HBO shows , this is how he ended it with that as a re-cap of his whole show, where if you had herd the bit aboutthe college students , taxes , Guns , etc. it makes a lot more sense if hear the whole thing.

zibbler

Monkey
Ummmm, don't know if you guys know this or not, but this is not original. I've seen this one floating around the net for a couple of years. Some say Ted Nugent wrote it, others say Rush limbaugh, and supposedly several other people have been credited with authoring it. I don't know who the hell wrote it, but it wasn't the guy who started this thread.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by zibbler
Some say Ted Nugent wrote it,
The Ted Nugent version. Again, I agree with some points, disagree with other points. Then again, I am an American and that is my right. :D

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001
Written by Ted Nugent, the rock singer and hunter/naturalists, upon hearing that California Senators B. Boxer and D. Feinstein denounced him for being a "gun owner" and a "Rock Star". This was his response after telling the senators about his past contributions to children's charities and scholarship foundations which have totaled more than $13.7 million in the last 5 years!!

I'm a Bad American-this pretty much sums it up for me.

I like big trucks, big boats, big houses, and naturally, pretty women.

I believe the money I make belongs to me and my family, not some midlevel governmental functionary with a bad comb-over who wants to give it away to crack addicts squirting out babies.

I don't care about appearing compassionate.

I think playing with toy guns doesn't make you a killer.

I believe ignoring your kids and giving them Prozac might.

I think I'm doing better than the homeless.

I don't think being a minority makes you noble or victimized.

I have the right not to be tolerant of others because they are
different, weird or make me mad.

This is my life to live, and not necessarily up to other expectations.

I know what SEX is and there are not varying degrees of it.

I don't celebrate Kwanzaa. But if you want to that's fine; I just don't feel like everyone else should have to.

I believe that if you are selling me a Dairy Queen shake, a pack of
cigarettes, or hotel room you do it in English. As of matter of fact,
if you are an American citizen you should speak English.

My uncles and forefathers shouldn't have had to die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come disrespect ours, and make us bend to your will. Get over it.

I think the cops have every right to shoot your sorry butt if you're
running from them after they tell you to stop.

If you can't understand the word 'freeze' or 'stop' in English, see the previous line.

I don't use the excuse "it's for the children" as a shield for unpopular opinions or actions.

I know how to count votes and I feel much safer letting a machine with no political affiliation do a recount when needed.

I know what the definition of lying is, and it isn't based on the word "is"-ever.

I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you
qualify for any special loan programs, gov't sponsored bank loans, etc., so you can open a hotel, 7-Eleven, trinket shop, or any thing else, while the indigenous peoples can't get past a high school education because they can't afford it.

I didn't take the initiative in inventing the Internet.

I thought the Taco Bell dog was funny.

I want them to bring back safe and sane fireworks.

I believe no one ever died because of something Ozzy Osbourne, Ice-Tor Marilyn Manson sang, but that doesn't mean I want to listen to that crap from someone else's car when I'm stopped at a red light. But I respect your right to.

I think that being a student doesn't give you any more enlightenment that working at Blockbuster or Jack In The Box.

I don't want to eat or drink anything with the words light, lite or
fat-free on the package.

Our soldiers did not go to some foreign country and risk their livesin vain and defend our Constitution so that decades later you can tell me it's a living document ever changing and is open to interpretation. The guys who wrote it were light years ahead of anyone today, and they mean what they said -- now leave the document alone, or there's going to be trouble.

I don't hate the rich.

I help the poor.

I know wrestling is fake.

I've never owned, or was a slave, and a large percentage of our
forefathers weren't wealthy enough to own one either.

Please stop blaming me because some prior white people were idiots -and remember, tons of white, Indian Chinese, and other races have been enslaved too - it was wrong for every one of them.

I believe a self-righteous liberal Democrat with a cause is more
dangerous than a Hell's Angel with an attitude.

I want to know exactly which church is it where the "Reverend" Jessie Jackson preaches; and, what exactly is his job function.

I own a gun, you can own a gun, and any red blooded American should be allowed to own a gun, but if you use it in a crime, then you will serve the time.

I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more. If it makes you mad, then invent the next operating system that's better and put your name on the building.

Ask your buddy that invented the Internet to help you.

I don't believe in hate crime legislation. Even suggesting it makes me mad.

You're telling me that someone who is a minority, gay, disabled, another nationality, or otherwise different from the mainstream of this country has more value as a human being that I do as a white male.

If someone kills anyone, I'd say that it's a hate crime.

We don't need more laws! Let's enforce the ones we already have.

I think turkey bacon, turkey beef, turkey fake anything sucks.

I believe that it doesn't take a village to raise a child-it takes a
parent with the guts to stand up to the kid and spank his butt and say "NO!" when it's necessary to do so.

I'll admit that the only movie that ever made me cry was Ole Yeller.

I didn't realize Dr. Seuss was a genius until I had a kid.

I will not be frowned upon or be looked down upon or be made to keep silent because I have these beliefs and opinions. I thought this country allowed me that right.

I will not conform or compromise just to keep from hurting somebody's feelings.

I'm neither angry nor disenfranchised, no matter how desperately the mainstream media would like the world to believe otherwise.

Yes, I guess by some people's definition, I may be a bad American.

But that's tough. Ted Nugent

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I would say that I agree with almost everything listed on both the original certified drunk version and the Ted Nuggent version.

I also think that there are way too many people on this board to seem to have something up their A$$. Some people here seem to get offended at ANYTHING relating to fags (not gay, fags) , minorities or anything else.

I think I have the right to dislike or disagree with anyone that I want to.

I don't want to offend anyone, but I think that ridemonkey was really rude. His first response had an insult in almost every line. I think that's pretty sad.

I AM a bad american.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by mr_dove
I don't want to offend anyone, but I think that ridemonkey was really rude. His first response had an insult in almost every line. I think that's pretty sad.
Almost every statement in the original post was rude, offensive, and racist.

I'm embarrassed that this is the sentiment among a large portion of the US population. People from other countries read this forum and I don't want to be represented in this way.

R

RideMonkey

Ummmm, don't know if you guys know this or not, but this is not original. I've seen this one floating around the net for a couple of years. Some say Ted Nugent wrote it, others say Rush limbaugh, and supposedly several other people have been credited with authoring it. I don't know who the hell wrote it, but it wasn't the guy who started this thread.
Of course he is not the original author, and it seems that it is an altered version of the original text. But the message is still clear.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm with ya, RM. The racist bent was clear. But maybe my opinion doesn't count, since I'm just a "pansy college boy" according to these guys... :rolleyes:
Almost every statement in the original post was rude, offensive, and racist.

I'm embarrassed that this is the sentiment among a large portion of the US population. People from other countries read this forum and I don't want to be represented in this way.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Originally posted by Toshi
I'm with ya, RM. The racist bent was clear. But maybe my opinion doesn't count, since I'm just a "pansy college boy" according to these guys... :rolleyes:
Toshi, your worse than that, your a HARVARD "pansy college boy" shesh, how bad can it get.

I guess you could go to a tree hugger school like Evergreen...:rolleyes:

R

RideMonkey

Sheesh this thread brings back memories of every family gathering I've had in the last 10 years. My conservative religious grandparents would praise the words in that post.

People with this mindset like to discount anything that might go against the way they believe or the way they live. If "global warming" is gonna mean slightly higher prices at the gas pump then they are going to find a couple of pieces of info refuting global warming and they are going to latch onto that information to their death beds so that they can be right about it. Even though average tempatures have climbed all over the world, the guy in the midwest who experiences a particularly harsh winter (a local and normal part of the cycle) is going to claim that global warming is bunk cuz of how cold it is in his town! Nonsense! If you want to really know the truth about something read about it! These people don't care, they just want to be right. (whether or not global warming is a real phenomenom is not the issue here, the issue is where these people get there information.)

Last Xmas one of my relatives started in with his conservative rhetoric and brought up the subject of the Microsoft anti-trust lawsuit. "Can you believe how government is interfering with business this way blah blah....". Now of course he does not know even one fact about the case nor does he know anything about the historical precedence of anti-trust laws. I start to explain to him about Microsofts anti-competative practices and I give him a clear example of how if his business were an upstart software company that Microsoft has the power, and maybe the inclination, to ruin his business before it ever got a fair shot in the market. He reluctantly listened and agreed that the points were valid, but 5 minutes later returned to his foundless generalizations "can you believe what they are doing to Mocrosoft...." They just don't want to hear it.

I can't go along with close minded people, or close minded statments.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The differences were subtle, but Nugent's version was much MUCH better. I might not agree with him on everything, but what he wrote was thoughtful and I respect him for it. I can't say the same for certified drunks's version.

And Mr. Dove, for a devout Christian, you seem to have a lot of anger and hate bottled up. Every time you use the word "fag," you might as well refer to Jews as "crematoriums," African Americans as "nooses," and Japanese as "A-bombs." Jesus might forgive you, but I don't.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by ummbikes
Toshi, your worse than that, your a HARVARD "pansy college boy" shesh, how bad can it get.

I guess you could go to a tree hugger school like Evergreen...:rolleyes:
Yeah, seriously. Harvard defines "liberal bastion" apparently to Heston. :rolleyes: How did I ever turn out Libertarian in this place? :eek: :D

Z

Zonic Man

This post rules.

I like Carlin and Nugent (although Nugent didn't actually write it.) They're spot on.

Z

Zonic Man

Originally posted by LeatherFace

So, please tell me, what other kinds of "fags" are there but gays?
Camel, Marlbro, Benson and Hedges, Newports, Winston, etc.

LOL. Just trying to humor it up.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

Well, in England fags are cigarettes :D No, really, that's what they call them there lol.
Right, because the literal meaning of the word "fagot" is a bundle of small twigs for burning. It came to be slang for homosexuals because fagots were used to burn accused homosexuals at the stake. Real pleasant. Very christian. I'm sure Jesus approves.

Originally posted by ohio

Right, because the literal meaning of the word is small twig for burning. It came to be slang for homosexuals because bundles of fags were used to burn accused homosexuals at the stake. Real pleasant. Very christian. I'm sure Jesus approves.
Interesting...I didn't know that. Did you know that the "pink triangle" that is used as a symbol for gays/gay areas/gay friendly was originally used by Nazis to denote homosexuals, like the yellow star of David was used to identify Jews?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.

Right, because the literal meaning of the word is small twig for burning. It came to be slang for homosexuals because bundles of fags were used to burn accused homosexuals at the stake. Real pleasant. Very christian. I'm sure Jesus approves.
I always wondered about the origin of that ugly word.

You are correct sir. Jesus would not approve.

"Neither do I condemn you."

K

kitchenware

It's interesting to see who gets fired up over what, on these types of posts.

Are you calling me a racist, a bigot or a cigarette smoker? lol, good stuff.

Sheesh, kick back, smoke a bowl and eat your burger from the local fast food place that is dressed wrong because of the guy at the counter couldn't speak a FOKKING WORD of English.

jim -way more relaxed than most.

This post is entirely too controversial and should be deleted, promptly. lol

K

kitchenware

Uh oh, let's all hit the urban legend site for this one.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
People with this mindset like to discount anything that might go against the way they believe or the way they live. If "global warming" is gonna mean slightly higher prices at the gas pump then they are going to find a couple of pieces of info refuting global warming and they are going to latch onto that information to their death beds so that they can be right about it. Even though average tempatures have climbed all over the world, the guy in the midwest who experiences a particularly harsh winter (a local and normal part of the cycle) is going to claim that global warming is bunk cuz of how cold it is in his town! Nonsense! If you want to really know the truth about something read about it! These people don't care, they just want to be right. (whether or not global warming is a real phenomenom is not the issue here, the issue is where these people get there information.)
stated principle. To be open-minded, you have to objectively consider possibilities even if they conflict with your pre-conceived notions.

It has been suggested by many well-respected scientists and statisticians that the whole theory of global warming is based on a cyclical anomoly, drawn without sufficient historical sampling, for the purpose of creating support for the "environmentalist" movement and ironically, the corporate interests behind the scenes. The "theory" suggests that average global temperatures are rising based on relatively recent(in planetary terms) statistical trends, due to the greenhouse effect which CFCs cause by altering the atmospheric ozone layer.

Instead of discounting those who question the theory, why not research it? As theories go, it is frankly not well documented and its conclusions are certainly open to debate. Many stand to profit from its acceptance, though. Dupont now has a fresh patent on refrigerant. (The patent for the now-unenvironmentally-friendly Freon had run out and other companies could have sold it, cutting into Dupont's profits. Now that a new refrigerant has been environmentally mandated, Dupont now has decades more of monopoly on the new product. Wanna bet whether or not a more environmentally-friendly version becomes necessary when the new patent runs out?) Environmental lobbies and the politicians they support also stand to gain much, as it's an easy sell to the uninformed. Who wants to risk coming across as being against the environment even if the theory is bunk?

I could go on, but I'll spare you all. I'm not saying that global warming does or does not exist or that it is or is not a bad thing. Who knows? I sure dont. All we have is wild-ass-guesses to go on. I would just caution you against aligning yourself one way or the other along a political Maginot Line without any conclusive evidence. It's bad enough that goverment policy is influenced by pseudo-scientific pronouncements.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by llkoolkeg
I could go on, but I'll spare you all. I'm not saying that global warming does or does not exist or that it is or is not a bad thing. Who knows? I sure dont. All we have is wild-ass-guesses to go on. I would just caution you against aligning yourself one way or the other along a political Maginot Line without any conclusive evidence. It's bad enough that goverment policy is influenced by pseudo-scientific pronouncements.
I have studied it.

I have a degree in geology. A large part of the curiculum is the study of climactic changes over the history of the Earth.

Even though I know more than most about this subject, I am not going to make statements about wether or not Global Warming is a real phenomenon or not. Even with my knowledge I find it warrants much more research before any reasonable conclusions can be made.

So if I don't know, how the hell do these people know that global warming is BS? From the 2 or 3 bits of info they have pulled outta the news or from word of mouth from fellow skeptics?

K

kitchenware

Oh and while we're at it.

That wasn't written by George or Ted or anyone else famous. That 'essay' appeared on freerepublic.com back in 2000.

The homosexuals burning at the stake and the origin of the word 'fag' is just about as outlandish going here to look up anyone's drivers license. http://cgi.slygreetings.com/page.pl?page=53

jim -the internet is a dangerous tool for some.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by kitchenware
Oh and while we're at it.

That wasn't written by George or Ted or anyone else famous. That 'essay' appeared on freerepublic.com back in 2000.

The homosexuals burning at the stake and the origin of the word 'fag' is just about as outlandish going here to look up anyone's drivers license. http://cgi.slygreetings.com/page.pl?page=53

jim -the internet is a dangerous tool for some.
Actually the internet just helped me to double check what I was taught in 4th grade. Turns out I was close, but it's not as bad as I thought.

"The most common explanation for the homosexual epithet goes like this: Faggot is a bundle of sticks, from the Italian. In the late 16th century, the word acquired the sense of a woman, especially a shrewish one. The sense probably comes from the idea of a faggot being a burden or baggage (not unlike the modern ball and chain). Jump to the US, circa 1917, and the word transferred to effeminate or homosexual men."

So I stand (self) corrected.

The word is still incredibly offensive, however, thanks to the connotations our society has attached to it.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
So if I don't know, how the hell do these people know that global warming is BS? From the 2 or 3 bits of info they have pulled outta the news or from word of mouth from fellow skeptics?
The study of philosophy, primarily Western, taught me that(in a nutshell) the reigns of the world are held not by the the moderate 10% of people with the brains and character to lead well, but by the 10% of the population at either extreme who have the passion and determination(but none of the sense) to herd the apathetic masses-in-the-middle to whatever rhetorical cause is currently in style.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
I have a theroy, and it is just that, and by my own admission totally unproven. Here goes.

100 or so years ago we didn't track stuff like mean equatorial tempratures, snowfall water content etc. with the degree of accuracy that we do today, if at all. So is it possible that what we are in now is part of a cycle? Not actually the result of something we have done, but something that is occuring despite what we have done.

Did the ozone hole exist before we had the technology or the desire to detect it?

We keep hearing that these "ozone gasses" are the reason for the problem. Yet a single volcanic eruption (Mt. Pinutaubo in the PI) spewed a greater volume of these types of gasses than mankind has ever produced. It certainly isn't the first volcano to errupt is it?

Now I am not saying we all ought to go out and empty a can of aqua-net and dump used motor oil in a creek. But maybe the earth is less fragile than we give it credit for and we are less significant than we would like to think.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
While your point of our insignificance is well taken, you should do some research before you question some relatively established phenomena such as ozone depletion and global warming. For instance, from http://www.atm.ch.cam.ac.uk/tour/part1.html comes a clear chart showing ozone depletion over time:

I have no clue about global warming, and Google-ing turns up some funky (and suspect) results, but this page, being from the NASA Goddard Institute, looks reputatble: http://www.giss.nasa.gov/edu/gwdebate/ . From it:

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Point taken, but those charts only go back to 1960. 40 years is a comparative tick of the stopwatch if we are talking global weather trends. What was the trend over the previous 100 years or so?

What I would like to see is something accurate that captures both pre and post industrial results.

Can that sort of info be reliably gleaned from growth patterns in sequoia or bristlecone pine (oldest living things on the planet)?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
that ozone depletion and global warming were facts(highly debatable), you cannot prove 1) that these effects are negative 2) that these effects were caused by anything humans did, or 3) that the effects are reversible by anything within human capacity. Who's to say that this is not all part of the Earth's regular cooling and warming cycles that occur at 20,000 year intervals? With only a few thousand years of recorded human history and only a few decades of temperature data, don't you think that trying to diagnose the planet is perhaps a little beyond our meager reach? This all reminds me of the incredible effort undertaken by "concerned citizens" to put out lightning fires in badland regions...until it was discovered that these fires were nature's method of renewal and rebirth. Carlin did a funny skit on this topic, as well.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
Who's to say that this is not all part of the Earth's regular cooling and warming cycles that occur at 20,000 year intervals?
Ice core samples from the Arctic and Antarctic give us a pretty nice picture of those 20,000 year cycles.

SHWA

Chimp
Feb 26, 2002
Port Washington, NY
Owning a gun makes you a smarter american?????? where do you come up with this sh*t? Were not fighting for our indepenence from england anymore........you dont need to own a deadly weapon.