Quantcast

im a newb and i dont no wut to do?

Jer D

Chimp
Oct 20, 2004
ok i ws biking all sommer and when the winter came i took a look at my bike and the whole thing was ruin as i told u before i have no clue wut to do?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I was noticing this weekend that my Blur is in ruin. I'm gonna strip it down to the bare frame, clean everything, replace whatever's worn out, and put it all back together. Brand new. :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My Superlight is shot. I think I am going to tear it down and have a fresh coat of powder put on, I'm thinking a gold tinted chrome.

Jer D

Chimp
Oct 20, 2004
ruin.... everything was broken my fork was bent both my tires have a massive wobble haddle bars wher about to break and a crack in my frame

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Sounds to me like you have a department store bike, sorry to say. I used to have one, and after a year mine was in about the same shape as yours, so I went to my local bike shop and dug up the money for a real mt. bike.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
s1ngletrack said:
Strange - I seem to have entered a parallel universe where almost everyone on RM is extraordinarily patient...
Or we're just having a hard time picking our jaws up off the floor in this one...

stevirey

Chimp
Nov 10, 2004
Portland,Or.
If your bike dosen't have a 10 year warrenty(frame)it's most likely just crap.If the frame is cracked the store should replace it.With the wheeles way out of true,etc.,you should get a complete new bike.Then give it to someone or sell it cheep.
Look for a cheap new bike at a sporting goods store like an Iron Horse.Here in Oregon
at G.I. Joes thay have Iron Horse bikes cheap on clearance sales.Also places like REI for Specialized bikes.Or get a good used bike off Ebay.I spent the time to tell you this because these crappy Wallmart bikes I see just make me nuts!They are just not worth any up grade.Or for that matter fixing.only in an emergency should you bother to fix one.What you maybe lack is basic bike smarts.I didn't know **** a few years ago. It's a "learning curve".Read bike mags.Talk to people on the trail.Just get into it and you will answer your own questions.Recycle,ride and ride over and over again!
Peace& Love and F**k saudi oil!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
s1ngletrack said:
Strange - I seem to have entered a parallel universe where almost everyone on RM is extraordinarily patient...
won't last for long. I am amusing myself reading allt he 13 year old AOL speak on here today.

People - LEARN TO SPELL. If you make a typo or a spelling error, no big deal. If you spell it WUT and SOMMER, please..use a spell check.

As for what to do, get yourself a budget entry level MOUNTAIN bike, not a walmart special. The extra green will get you a much more dependable ride.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
stevirey said:
If your bike dosen't have a 10 year warrenty(frame)it's most likely just crap
I just choked on my ghetto Garlic Wonder Bread...

Aluminum frame lasting 10 years after being ridden for those ten years? Yeah right. You're going to be VERY hard pressed to find an aluminum framed bike warranteed for 10 years...steel and ti, yes, but most ish is AL. Aluminum, if its ridden a moderate amount, will usually fatigue enough to crack/bend in the 5-10 year threshold. Silly man.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
xbluethunderx said:
I just choked on my ghetto Garlic Wonder Bread...

Aluminum frame lasting 10 years after being ridden for those ten years? Yeah right. You're going to be VERY hard pressed to find an aluminum framed bike warranteed for 10 years...steel and ti, yes, but most ish is AL. Aluminum, if its ridden a moderate amount, will usually fatigue enough to crack/bend in the 5-10 year threshold. Silly man.
that doesn't mean the co won't warrenty it. Speci, trek and many others all do a life time on there frames. So be carefull who you call silly... silly.
kai-

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
HippieKai said:
that doesn't mean the co won't warrenty it. Speci, trek and many others all do a life time on there frames. So be carefull who you call silly... silly.
kai-
I should really think before posting crap...Companies may warantee it for a lifetime, however, if it breaks from aluminum fatigue, are they really gonna cover that? Maybe its just that higher end stuff comes with crappier warantees...

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
Jeff 151 said:
what my Brit high-school chemistry teacher calls: Aloo-min-ee-um.
Possibly because it's aluminium? At least, that's its proper name. Given the propensity of americans to rip as many letters as possible out of a word, I don't suppose it's that suprising that you did it to this one as well. It's just unusual to change the pronunciation too :blah:

And all americans - this is not a rant directed at you, it's just something I find funny. Please don't hate me, or do strange and terrible things involving hot irons.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Jer D said:
ok i ws biking all sommer and when the winter came i took a look at my bike and the whole thing was ruin as i told u before i have no clue wut to do?
Get a clue!

Ask an OG how to maintain your next bike. A kid came into my shop with no ball bearings in his headset. I don't mean they fell out, I mean someone removed the bearings and their retainers as well!

After I convinced his mother to buy a new headset, I told the kid to come to me for advice on how not to f*ck up his bike in the future.

You either learn the easy way or the hard...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Darkreaper said:
Possibly because it's aluminium? At least, that's its proper name. Given the propensity of americans to rip as many letters as possible out of a word, I don't suppose it's that suprising that you did it to this one as well. It's just unusual to change the pronunciation too :blah:

And all americans - this is not a rant directed at you, it's just something I find funny. Please don't hate me, or do strange and terrible things involving hot irons.
Aw right, Guvnor.