Quantcast

I'm bionic now

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I officially don't like rocks anymore. Flying down westridge, I lost it in the talcum powder and as I was in the midst of crashing this dang rock jumped in the way of my ankle. WHAMMO! Ankle vs. Rock. Guess who won.

Three nasty breaks, one in a spiral up my leg bone (The bigger of the lower two), I now have two plates and a number of screws in my leg. Doc says it's gonna be a few weeks before I can get on the trainer. :(

Two very nice folks helped me out up there. Tom (who's last name I missed, but I got his number) who knelt there holding my ankle still for like a half an hour while I waited for the Summit people to come get me. And a very nice girl whose name I missed but I am going to look for her to thank her. Found out that the SS people can't bring you down in their truck because someone sued them when they got hurt and claimed that the trip down aggrivated the injury. (Bastards!!!!) So I had to get back on my bike, and Tom held on and walked me all the way down. Damn nice of him! Both of them. I can't thank them enough!

So that's my story. I am busted and laid up for a while. But I will be back on the bike as soon as possible.

Dec 3, 2003
SoCal
Hope you heal quick!

We had a friend who crashed on the main dh trail and the SS guy told him the same story about the dude who sued. So he had to walk all the way back down. Sucked for him b/c he had a mild concussion and ended up with stitches above his eye.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Sorry to hear abot that Ciaran, hope you heal fast!

mtnbikerdude87 said:
We had a friend who crashed on the main dh trail and the SS guy told him the same story about the dude who sued. So he had to walk all the way back down. Sucked for him b/c he had a mild concussion and ended up with stitches above his eye.
So what do they think will happen when someone gets hurt, then tries to make it down the mountain and has another accident? Wouldn't they then be at fault for refusing to help... and possibly face a bigger lawsuit? :confused:

Find the guy who sued them for helping and lets aggrivate their injury. :mumble:

I guess California doesn't have a 'good samaritan' law...

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA
Oh no - so it was a much worse break than we originally thought :( Good thing the Big bear guy wrapped it with that guaze - like that was going to do anything :rolleyes:
Sounds like you are in good spirits now though - keep up you positive attitude and you will be back on that tank in no time!

Oh, and thanks for calling me a girl :)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
OCDH said:
Oh no - so it was a much worse break than we originally thought :( Good thing the Big bear guy wrapped it with that guaze - like that was going to do anything :rolleyes:
Sounds like you are in good spirits now though - keep up you positive attitude and you will be back on that tank in no time!

That was you? I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate what you did for me. You not only helped me down the mountain, but kept me at ease, comforted me, and calmed me down. Thankyouthankyouthankyou so very much! You helped make a really bad situation tolerable.

Yeah, the bike is a tad on the heavy side. My goal is to get back on her before the season ends at BB. :thumb: And we are going to buy some more armor before we go back up there. Better safe than broken.

Dec 3, 2003
SoCal
Slugman said:
Sorry to hear abot that Ciaran, hope you heal fast!

So what do they think will happen when someone gets hurt, then tries to make it down the mountain and has another accident? Wouldn't they then be at fault for refusing to help... and possibly face a bigger lawsuit? :confused:

Find the guy who sued them for helping and lets aggrivate their injury. :mumble:

I guess California doesn't have a 'good smaritan' law...
yeah Californians sue for any reason. It wouldve been nice for them to give him a lift, but they only gave the bike a lift. :mad:

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ciaran said:
That was you? I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate what you did for me. You not only helped me down the mountain, but kept me at ease, comforted me, and calmed me down. Thankyouthankyouthankyou so very much! You helped make a really bad situation tolerable.

Yeah, the bike is a tad on the heavy side. My goal is to get back on her before the season ends at BB. :thumb: And we are going to buy some more armor before we go back up there. Better safe than broken.
Hey no worries!! It sucks when you hurt yourself on the trail - believe me, I have been there. Just take care of yourself and heal up fast!

And Dog Welder - yeah, I still ride, just not as much dh anymore. My 5.5 and my moto take up a lot of my weekend, so the dh bike doesn't get out too much anymore. But hey, I'm going to Whistler next week, so I will get plenty of riding in then!

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
OCDH said:

OCDH to the rescue again!!! She was my guardian angel, too, when I busted my ankle when we were out riding motocross 5 months ago.

Heal fast, Ciaran...I feel your pain! I shattered the tibia and fibia and had to have reconstructive surgery to get it all back together. Let me know if you need any ankle advice!!! :)

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
dhjill said:
OCDH to the rescue again!!! She was my guardian angel, too, when I busted my ankle when we were out riding motocross 5 months ago.

Heal fast, Ciaran...I feel your pain! I shattered the tibia and fibia and had to have reconstructive surgery to get it all back together. Let me know if you need any ankle advice!!! :)

Hmm...Holly was there on Saturday when I did in my ribs on the moto.... coincidence? I think not. Holly is a jinx!? :p

It was good that Holly helped out, because it gave the rest of us who drove up with her, enough time to down a couple extra beers before taking off for the day. :D

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
dhjill said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm awfully glad she was around when I busted myself up... :D
Oh, I'm just kidding.... she is great to have around. We all love Holly. Anyone who can hang with 4 stinky guys for a few hours worth of tasteless jokes and farts on the way to and from Big Bear is ok in my book. :D :thumb:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Looks like I am not the only beneficiary of Holly's kindness. I bet she jumps really far... what with her angel wings and all. :thumb: