Quantcast

I'm bored and broken off...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Just as soon as i started hitting the dirt humps this year i broke my hand riding dh.
I won't be riding until October.

I'm in the (sorta) enviable position of owning a bike company and having a factory 30 minutes away from the office where a dude named Frank The Welder can build anything I want in a couple of days if so prompted.

Help me come up with a fun project to work on to stay psyched on bmx and to keep y'all distracted from work.

My riding style is most definitely racer boy and i spend more time treating the street like a race track and making deep ruts in a sand pit on my 20" than I do anything else. One of my favorite places to ride is in a flat dirt parking lot full of potholes.

I'm really curious about building a 22" bike for proper 1970's style Bicycle Motocross. Steep bumpy hills, sand, deep ruts, sketchy jumps, dirty whoops. I think you probably get the picture. I love my Bitchin Camaro for that stuff but surprisingly small branches can eject ya pretty quick.

We can build frames and forks and can work in any material although limiting things to steel and aluminum would be a darn good idea.

The most important part of any project is the model name, and this thing is going to be a Boozegas.

As a bonus the 20" trailboss at our (silly steep and tech) trails has asked me to build a more shred-y fun zone that isn't sweet steep death. He's sick of being the only one digging since the current trails are late 90's EastCoast, the stuff where you need to brake in mid air to nose it in. There are no groms. Not enough XboX. You gotta wear Fox Dirtpaws if you want to shred that shiz.

The prospect of slap-chopping dusty berms and motoring through racer lines in a purpose built Banch Lot has me all bugaboo. I sure wish I could dig one handed...

Help me out BMX nerds, please. I have to spend all day designing road bikes!

Thoughts, feelings, actual ideas or esoteric emoticons are appreciated.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I read the first few lines and thought, "22 incher!!!!!"

Do it and do it before Moeller does...... :)

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I'm to busy to look up 22" tires. Anything comp3ish out there?

The KVA stuff is wicked expensive. FTW ran some test pieces with an interesting method of joinery that is pretty bitchin but I don't really have the budget to build a show bike.

A very large part of me wants to go aluminum. A 4 pound aluminum 20" frame is indestructable. We have a bunch of chromo Cannondale tandem steer tubes and fork Pepperoni fork blades so a matching fork wouldn't be too hard. Because we are pretty much the only people left making aluminum bikes it's always tempting. A bonus is that if we go all aluminum I could anodize the whole thing including cranks, hubs etc. The only thing we couldn't do would be bars. Murdered out is always sick.

The other half of me wants to build the thing out of a cheap butted 4130 tube set and get it over with in a morning.
I have geo numbers that I was going to build a new 20" in. Figuring oout how to scale it over to 22" is the next task.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
No idea about tires or rims. I wouldnt scale a 22 up by simply adding two inches to everything.make the top tube long enough to clear x-up's. Keep the BB low enough for high speed stability and the back end nice and short without having to crimp tubes for tire clearence.

One more thing, 4130........ :)

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
For me the beauty of stainless is that I can burn it together and ride it. No bs'in around with paint and rust. It just simplifies things.

And for 1 forever frame its not that expensive.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's sitting in my harddrive until we can scrape together $7k for a proto. That is an extraordinary amount of money in my world...

Our 150mm bike is ready too.
Brokestatus!
since you're injured, now's a perfect time to write your book.

then sell the movie rights and you'll be able to fund the DH bike!

:brows:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
One handed typimg is slow.
On the plus side I'll have some pictures of one of our bitchin 20" race frames all built up later. It's the 20" dirtcrab/boozegas shredmachine geo that I'm so dearly stoked on and want to base my 22 on, but in a 3.2 pound aluminum package.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
One handed typimg is slow.
On the plus side I'll have some pictures of one of our bitchin 20" race frames all built up later. It's the 20" dirtcrab/boozegas shredmachine geo that I'm so dearly stoked on and want to base my 22 on, but in a 3.2 pound aluminum package.
you know they have software now so you just have to talk and it will type what you say. get with the times mickey!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Sorry to hear about the injury. If you can ride in October and the weather is crappy up north feel free to come ride some NJ soil. There is usually a trail jam or 2 going on in the area in October.

I just met FTW, when I was in VT with the family. Borrowed a car and drove to Bellows Falls from Stowe. He's a great guy and his shop is real neat. I could see talking turkey with him for many hours. I'm looking to do something with him soon.

And, I remember doing berm shots trying to copy the pics Oz would take of RL and Buff for BMX Action BITD. As much as I love poppy, floaty trail jumps your idea of making a long low old school zone sounds like a blast. We have a warmup line that got brutalized from the storms. When dirt is stacked steep and not tarped it's gets all potholed quick. I'm thinking if things were mellow out it might hold up better and give the trails a different feel.

The 22" project sounds really cool. I came across a 20" Profile from the early 80's that I fixed up and my daughter is riding (As much as some people think it should be restored and hung on the shelve I think it should be ridden). Anyway, one thing you might want to mess around with is the head angle, BB height and chainstay length. If you notice the number for that Hutch test - the head angle on that was 71.5 deg which is way on the slacker side for a 20" these days. Maybe take your Spooky DS rig's number and build a smaller version. I took that Profile for a couple of driveway spins and it's a weird but neat feeling having the steering a little slower.