Quantcast

I'm cold. I've been cold.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Anyone else always cold?

In the summer, I'm fine.

As soon as temps drop into the 70s, I start putting on layers.

It gets quite funny when I'm running around the house in 4 layers and hauling a blanket around like I've got a new burqa, and my bf is clad in shorts and a T-shirt.

Last year, he asked me if I was ever going to stop shopping for blankets.

and.... we're moving to Boston. from Virginia.

is there such a thing as thermostat controlled underwear?

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I am usually cold too. Often. My body temp drops like crazy. I am just not well insulated I guess. I try to cuddle with the hubby to get warm, but I guess it isn't fair to throw my ice-cold apendages at someone :)

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Yes. I'm always cold especially when the humidity drops.

Lot's of layers work well for me and I found that wool socks (like LLBean heavyweight hiking socks) really help keep my feet warm better than my other heavy socks. If I have warm feet, I tend to stay warmer. Also now that leggings are back in style, they work well as a layer under jeans.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Drink lots more water, you'll feel warmer.
Let me elaborate:

Keeping hydrated keeps your blood diluted, which allows it to flow freely to the smallest capillaries near the skin surface which helps in keeping you cool as well as warm.

Most people start drinking less water as the temps drop, essentially sabotaging themselves into feeling cold.

Drink lots of water.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'm always drinking water...

and when I'm cold, I drink warm water (which will probably sound really bad to some of you).

I pee clear!
Room temp or cool water absorbs better.

Good to know you pee clear. I pee a deep cobalt.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When I was out of shape I was fine in a t-shirt below 50. Now if I'm just sitting around doing nothing I get cold pretty easy, I figure with a low resting heart rate I'm not burning enough energy. Sounds like Mudgrl needs to stop running so much and OMGF needs to get of his ass.;)

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
nah, its a blood disorder that makes you get really cold really quick...

Raynaud's phenomenon is when your hands and feet (extremities) get very cold and numb when it's cold outside (or even if the air conditioner is on too low). Basically it hurts and can cause frostbite very easily. People with Raynaud's should stay away from cold things (so use canned veggies instead of frozen veggies; don't use ice packs when you injure yourself, etc.)

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
I knew someone with Raynaud's........ she actually got discharged from the military because of it.

I have wandered around with a hat on indoors to keep warm.

And.. last year I lost 40 lbs, and that's basically when I started getting cold.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I knew someone with Raynaud's........ she actually got discharged from the military because of it.

And.. last year I lost 40 lbs, and that's basically when I started getting cold.
40 lbs is about what it took for me to become a human popsicle. I think I'll just start drinking warm butter for every meal.

Edit: good job dropping 40.

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Me too!

I also drink plenty of water and drink it warm too. I guess it's the curse of being thin. Still I'd rather get cold and have the chance to put extra clothes on than being hot and sweaty all the time.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Let me elaborate:

Keeping hydrated keeps your blood diluted, which allows it to flow freely to the smallest capillaries near the skin surface which helps in keeping you cool as well as warm.
you'd have to be really dehydrated (as in too sick to post on ridemonkey) to make your blood "thick". the brain and kidneys conspire to keep osmolality, basically the measure of dilution/non-dilution, in tight control.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
you'd have to be really dehydrated (as in too sick to post on ridemonkey) to make your blood "thick". the brain and kidneys conspire to keep osmolality, basically the measure of dilution/non-dilution, in tight control.
I was trying to scare them into drinking enough water to pee the bed.

Thanks Mr. Buzzkill.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I was trying to scare them into drinking enough water to pee the bed.

Thanks Mr. Buzzkill.
please make your jokes a little less convoluted, for the slower members of the audience like me :D

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
Drinking coffee keeps me a lot warmer than drinking water
Caffeine is just like nicotine - they are vasoconstrictors and would actually make you colder.

So a hot drink might physically (and temporarily) warm you up, but coffee, or anything with caffeine would actually make it worse.

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
Anyone else always cold?

In the summer, I'm fine.

As soon as temps drop into the 70s, I start putting on layers.

It gets quite funny when I'm running around the house in 4 layers and hauling a blanket around like I've got a new burqa, and my bf is clad in shorts and a T-shirt.

Last year, he asked me if I was ever going to stop shopping for blankets.

and.... we're moving to Boston. from Virginia.

is there such a thing as thermostat controlled underwear?
I do the same thing. I feel I'm always cold. I can hardly wear flipflops in the summer because my feet (and hands) are ALWAYS cold. At school I will have to run my hands under cold water to get them warm enough, especially on long essay tests.

I used to make fun of my mom when I was little because she was always cold. Now I'm that way. It's getting worse, too.

But if I'm exposed to super cold weather I seem to adapt after a little while. Last time I went up to Boston I wasn't as bad off as I thought I would be. That is except for the last day because it rained on my cheap gloves and my hands got so cold that I couldnt use them for 30 minutes until they warmed up. Kind of scary, but means I should just invest in better gloves if i know I'll be outside in the cold, rain and 20mph wind! :bonk:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
At school I will have to run my hands under cold water to get them warm enough, especially on long essay tests.
there's your problem. stop running your hands under cold water. :D

people in this thread: do your fingers sometimes turn red, white, and blue?

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
there's your problem. stop running your hands under cold water. :D

people in this thread: do your fingers sometimes turn red, white, and blue?
:poster_oops: Thanks...ha.

My fingers turn red or white when cold. If I'm riding and it's cold outside I have a hard time even holding on because my fingers are bright red and hurt. I need to get full finger gloves. I just keep forgetting.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Its common in women to have their extremities be colder all the time. Just the way their body works, devoting more blood to the core and reproductive organs.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
Its common in women to have their extremities be colder all the time. Just the way their body works, devoting more blood to the core and reproductive organs.
Hence - Reynaud's syndrome. Which is very common in women.

You don't do anything for it unless it's extremely severe other than avoid the cold, dress warm, biofeedback, avoid caffeine, etc.

I have it too. And I'm a skier. It's just that I love skiing enough that I put up with it, find really warm gear, etc. But my hands and feet can be FROZEN while my core is sweating. I just buy those little disposable heaters and put them in my mittens and boots. My husband is always looking for lightweight breathable ski gloves so his hands won't sweat. I wear expedition weight mittens even when it's warm for skiing. Go figure.

Niacin supplements also have an interesting effect of dialating your blood vessels. I've tried it a few times and it's just weird - within 30 minutes or so I get flushed and almost itchy hot because the blood is pumping to my arms and legs. But it sometimes just makes my arms warm and not my fingers, etc. so I don't bother with it much.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005

That could be your problem....assuming that dropping the 40 lbs put you down to close to below average weight. Eat some sandwiches.
I read this thing about women's physiology a while back about how they have this layer of fat cells between their skin and muscle that men don't have or don't have as much of. This insulates the nerve endings that tell the body it's warm or cold. The farther away (the thicker the fat) the nerve endings are from the muscle, the colder you might feel. {This is why women (in general, don't lynch me here) will immediately feel cold upon walking out of an 80 degree restaurant.}

So in losing the weight, did you lose muscle or fat? Both?

If you're peeing clear all the time, that might be a sign that you're well hydrated but undernourished. Are you eating well? Muscles are the fire that keep you warm and food is fuel for that fire. You need protein to keep warm. Mangiare, mangiare!!

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
I'm not underweight.... which shows you how much of a chunky monkey I was before...

I believe I lost the fat part.... I've never been muscular or defined at all

as for nutrition and all...
I try to eat things of as many colors as possible
I am a vegetarian ( no veggie bashing...I've been one for a total of about 9 years).
I eat small things often (as opposed to eating 3 large meals, I eat about 7 times a day)
I drink......water, maybe some juice (1 mug a day), and maybe some milk (1 mug every few days)

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
I'm not underweight.... which shows you how much of a chunky monkey I was before...

I believe I lost the fat part.... I've never been muscular or defined at all

as for nutrition and all...
I try to eat things of as many colors as possible
I am a vegetarian ( no veggie bashing...I've been one for a total of about 9 years).
I eat small things often (as opposed to eating 3 large meals, I eat about 7 times a day)
I drink......water, maybe some juice (1 mug a day), and maybe some milk (1 mug every few days)
I wouldn't veggie bash but I have a friend that was one for about that long and she discovered she was horribly anemic and hadn't been getting everthing she needed.
Vegetarians usually have to work at getting the right amount of protein and I'm told that most don't by the hardest core vegetarian I've ever met. (my neighbor)
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but it might be something to look into.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
I knew you would say that....

so... I was a vegetarian for 9 years before... and didn't have a problem being cold

I drop 40 lbs

And now I have a problem

hmmmmmm

I don't think it's me being a vegetarian

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I read this thing about women's physiology a while back about how they have this layer of fat cells between their skin and muscle that men don't have or don't have as much of. This insulates the nerve endings that tell the body it's warm or cold. The farther away (the thicker the fat) the nerve endings are from the muscle, the colder you might feel.
where did you read this?

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
where did you read this?
I don't recollect. It was back in school many moons ago.
I'm sure I'm screwing up the explanation somewhat due to the time but I definitely remember them equating the physiology to an insulated water heater. Hot at the core, cooler the farther out you get and it was saying how women have the nerve endings farther outside this subdermal fat layer so they feel colder faster and colder than they really are.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
i'm 6' and 140 pounds so skinny little kid but i find that only my toes get cold, i wear tee shirts in 30 degree weather, get a hunting jacket those things keep you really warm