Quantcast

I'm done with CB Eggbeaters

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Snacks said:
XC? I :love: rocks....all kinds. If I could I would marry them. Thanks:)
Yeah, XC. In all honesty, the entire ride isn't that rocky technical. Only the first 2 mile climb. After that its tight smooth singletrack. Awesome trail though. One of my favorites, but it tends to get really crowded.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
thegoodword said:
Time ATAC have only one bad feature: the cleats wear out quickly.
ATAC's rule in mud, snow, sand and anything else you step in. Try some Speedplay x/1 pedals for the road bike and Time ATAC for the mtb. You will not be disappointed. No rock whack jobs with these pedals!:cool:
Interesting...how long are talking about when you say "quickly". One pair I had on my shoes lasted at least 2 seasons (using the same shoes for both dh and xc)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
pixelninja said:
mmmmm. Now that's a good lookin rocky trail... :thumb:
That's the old National / World Cup race course at bromont. You hit that section going as fast as possible. It will make your eye balls bounce pretty good.

If you have ever heard anyone talk about the last world cup there, that is the entrance to "the jungle".

Super fun course, the entire top section of the run is like that. :help:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Velocity Girl said:
Interesting...how long are talking about when you say "quickly". One pair I had on my shoes lasted at least 2 seasons (using the same shoes for both dh and xc)
I think that can occur with any cleat, it depends on the rider.

People have varying riding styles, ergonomics, etc...

I can get lots of miles from the ****ty old CB cleats even.

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
im not sure if its my shoes causing the problem, i am using xc shoes, and with a sub 13 inch bb its hard not to hit a rock every once and a while. however, my friend has a set of mallet m's (i have the c's) and they release seems to be much harder/stiffer than mine?

could the traction plates change how stiff the spring feels?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
mxer338 said:
im not sure if its my shoes causing the problem
This is another weakness of CBs - shoe inference causes poor performance. Did you read the instructions when you installed your cleats - ie using spacers? Sometimes you also have to shave your shoe tread.

I never had a shoe issue when I use to use Time's.

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
my shoes seem to have no interference, im using one wafer under the cleats and i have no problem clipping in and out when i want to, but they seem to pop off at inoportune moments. i still dont know why the spring tension isnt as high as another set of the same pedals

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I'm skipping over the fill in the middle and answering the question.

-I rode times for roughly 5 years and then switched to egg beaters a season or 2 ago after the bars on the ATAC wore down. The feel of the pedal is almost the same. Float = same, entry = same, release = same, mud/snow/poop clearance = same. The only differences are you can come up short on clipping in w/ eggs and 'roll' your foot foreward to get in where times you have to take your foot off and reposition w/ the ATAC. That and the crank bros design can cause you to come out when you smack the bottom. So.....my opinion and recomendation. If you smack your pedals a lot, go times. If you don't, go egg beaters. If you liked everything about how the pedals felt but didn't like popping out every now and again, you should like the times.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've been running shimanos since they first came out with the 737's way back when. I've had great luck with them over the years - consistent performance, rarely damage them, and on the rare occasion they get jammed with mud, they are easy to clear by clipping in and out a couple times. You can get different cleats with different amounts of float. The bearings last forever and the spring tension is adjustable.

I have like 7 pair, including on my road bike and fixie, so I am not going to change unless there is a compelling reason. I've tried Time and CB and so far have not found that reason.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
mxer338 said:
im not sure if its my shoes causing the problem, i am using xc shoes, and with a sub 13 inch bb its hard not to hit a rock every once and a while. however, my friend has a set of mallet m's (i have the c's) and they release seems to be much harder/stiffer than mine?

could the traction plates change how stiff the spring feels?
Your shoe tread could be too high, you may need to trim it/use spacers. Your cleats could also be worn, they wear out fast so that the retention bars don't. Finally, you have 2 float settings, depending which clear you put on which shoe (one has a dot). I believe it is 8 and 12 degrees.

Also about the shoe interference being a CB problem, not true. I have had issues with almost every shoe, on every pairs of pedals (Cb, Time, Shimano). I ALWAYS grind down my show a bit and use spacers as well if possible.

Oh and a 13" BB is retarded low, wow. Even 165s aren't gonna save you much there. Personally I found eggbeaters just too small. They hurt my feet using shimano shoes. It may also be that you can ding the pedal pretty much anywhere to cause a release. Candy and Mallet protect the mech a little bit more?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Crank Brothers

One cleat has two small dots in the center between the bolt holes, and the other cleat does not. If you put the cleat with two dots on it on your right shoe, then both feet release outwards at a 15 degree angle and if you put the one with the two little dots on your left shoe, then both feet release outwards at about 20 degrees. First-time users should start with the 15 degree release angle. Crank Brothers pedals have 6 degrees of rotational float.

Time (Two different cleats?)

Replacement cleats for Time ATAC pedals. 15 or 20 degrees of angle release to prevent accidental release and 5 degrees of rotation.

OR

ATAC 13/17 cleat offers the choice of 13° or 17° release angles for easier release

SPD

The standard off road cleat that fits most Shimano MTB pedals. Does not work with pedal model PD-M858 pedal. 82 grams. Specify Model: (SH-51) black, 4 degrees float or (SH-55) silver, 4 degrees float with multi directional release.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
That's why I won't ride CB. The spring acts so that when you hit it on a rock the other side opens up. I'm on Shimanos and happy except for mud shedding. I want to try Times now, they look really nice.