Quantcast

I'm PUSHed too. But also got a question on setting rebound?

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
First of all, gotta say the guys at Push were great. I sent this in last Monday, and he told me he'd try to have it out by Friday. There was some part that didn't come in though, and it was going to be late - so Jimmy offered to just put it back together with the original Fox part (wouldn't affect the performance of the shock) and send it right out. Well, the guys sent it OVERNIGHT... FREE OF CHARGE back to me just so I could make a ride today. That's some awesome CS right there.

How do I set up rebound correctly? Obviously if I ride up a curb and the front soaks it but the rear bucks you that's not a good thing. That was prior to getting the shock rebuilt though. I thought rebound was supposed to be on the faster side, but I guess I'm wrong? Do you just go by trial and error? I don't think I'll be touching compression - I don't need this shock blowing up on me. Damn Karpiels.

Here's some pictures for you guys.

Enduro

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
A country with no mountains
This is the way I set up my rebound:

1. Find a dip in some trail.
2. Set your rebound to fully fast or at least, fast.
3. Ride through the dip and stay seated.
4. Start by doing this slowly.
5. Go faster through the dip when the rear suspension doesn't kick you out of the saddle and when your rear wheel doesn't leave the ground at the end of the dip.
6. If this does happen, slow down your rebound one or two clicks.
7. Repeat if necessary.
8. Go through the dip as fast as you can. When the rebound doesn't kick you out of your saddle and when your rear wheel doesn't leave the ground, your rebound is just perfect.
9. Remember: your rebound must be set up as fast as possible without doing this.

There may be some better or easier way to set it up but it works fine with me.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Rule of thumb:
Set sag to rider weight.
Set compression so you aren't bottoming on big hits.
To set rebound, push down hard on the seat with the heal of your hand. Pull it up as fast as you can. The suspension should be just a bit slower. Err on the slow side if in doubt.
This will get you a starting point. There is a LOT of personal preference to shock speed. As you get better at controlling the bike on lippy jumps, you can speed up th rebound.

Once again these are just good starting points

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Cool, thanks for the tips guys. I guess I'll give it a shot on the trail today and see what I come up with. I've set it to two clicks to nothing on the rebound and I'm just going to leave the compression so I don't blow it out.

Brian, I'm not sure how the brake is. I was confident enough to try and wheelie on it though, so hopefully it's just in it's break-in period!

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Ill put in some input on the shock.

I have my rebound set pretty fast, but have zero buck, maybe i have some different damping. I have really fast kick off of jumps when i want it, but i have yet to feel bucked on a landing of a drop. and dont worry about blowin it up, i ran the compression quite high on a few urbans with the karp and didnt have a problem

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
I don't care about the shock knuckle head, its going to blow right away anyways. I rebleed his brake last week, thats what I'm concerened with.
did the the hope brake have it's 8 day until next bleed timer expire? ;)

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
I was really impressed with how my shock worked, till I broke it... It now feels like it catches something inside and then it gives way. I broke something inside and besides the crunching feeling, the shock is now waaaaay to soft... :eek: :(

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Yeti DHer
I was really impressed with how my shock worked, till I broke it... It now feels like it catches something inside and then it gives way. I broke something inside and besides the crunching feeling, the shock is now waaaaay to soft... :eek: :(
I wonder how much PSI they are using in there.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Wow, you broke it? Must have seen some harsh riding. Was this at big bear?

Thanks for the tips guys. I have the rebound set to two clicks from nothing, and I actually kind of like the way it feels. My legs aren't as tired after 100 feet of riding down. Guess I'll click it once or twice up and see how that goes.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Do you have to get a Pushed Fox revalved if you want to change the spring to a stiffer spring?

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
Kanter,

Depends on how much stroke and how much of a spring rate change you're looking at. Shorter stroke shocks are less effected than longer, but it depends on the application.

Darren Murphy
Push Industries

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
the problem is, sitting on the saddle changes the dynamics of the bike vs. standing up as you usually ride, so that method would at least put you on the conservative side of rebound speed. I wouldnt be afraid to experiment with a slightly faster setting after tuning to that test; it does seem like a good baseline measurement though. Also too fast may not necessarily buck you up to a noticible degree, but may cause the rear to skip around more at least. Conversely too slow is alot harder to detect despite the suspension not working effectively.

Oh, and watch your dont break your post or bend your saddle rails doing this, as i did when i got lazy once and sat down for a bit...:rolleyes:

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Originally posted by JohnnyBoyDH
When you get a RC "Pushed" do you need to run a lighter spring rate as you usually do when going to a 5th(for example)? How are your experiences with pedal bob, bottom resistance etc.? Thanks.
They valve the shock for your current spring rate and your weight. Mine does not bob at all. It's definently an improvement from the stock fox shock...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I just got my Fox pushed for my wife. Look in your records... hint Kanter. It is a 6.75"x1.75" for a 00 Big Hit and I got the 500 lb spring from you guys. It seems a little soft so I was going to try the 600 and the 700 lb springs that I still have. Could I get away with the 700 or will I need it revalved.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Everyone seems to go by the rule of thumb that you basically set your rebound as fast as possible where it doesn't buck or kick your too much. This seems to boil down to set it as fast as possible, then gradually slow it down until it is rideable.

When I used to ride dirt bikes another commonly used method for setting rebound seemed to come from the opposite direction, set it fairly slow then speed it up until the rear end no longer packs up or swaps in whoops and high speed stutter bumps.

Does anyone use this technique with mountain bikes? I've been playing with it last weekend and it brought me to a much slower overall rebound setting (compared to as fast as I can handle without being bucked) but so far I'm really liking it.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Yeti DHer said:
Chris,

so did Push ever take care of your problem? was it really broke?