Quantcast

i'm writing an article to send to magazines

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
has anyone ever done this before? it is a bike srticle and im trying to get in on this kinda work. does anyone know how much it pays and how the pay works? Aslo if i mail a copy to myself and dont open it then the federal postage counts as a copyright protection correct?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
biggins said:
has anyone ever done this before? it is a bike srticle and im trying to get in on this kinda work. does anyone know how much it pays and how the pay works? Aslo if i mail a copy to myself and dont open it then the federal postage counts as a copyright protection correct?
Be sure to use a spell-checker on it before you send it off. Actually, you might want to invest in a professional editor. :rolleyes: :D

-S.S.-

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
come on now spelling police. i know i was just in a hurry to get the thread up cause i had to go negotiate the release of some chocolate hostages.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
biggins said:
Pay depends on the magazine. Everyone has their own rules. Some want a query first, some will accept an article for review and some don't accept unsolicited material. You can write and get their submission guidelines or check their website, some publish them there.

FYI - the minute you create a work it is copyrighted. You don't need to mail it but if it makes you feel better you can.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
riderx said:
Pay depends on the magazine. Everyone has their own rules. Some want a query first, some will accept an article for review and some don't accept unsolicited material. You can write and get their submission guidelines or check their website, some publish them there.

FYI - the minute you create a work it is copyrighted. You don't need to mail it but if it makes you feel better you can.
cool thanks for the advice

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
T-Pirate said:
I would make sure if you send it to multiple places you are positive that you got Rejected/Accepted, because it can get pretty complicated if two mags think they are publishing exclusive work.
yeah that has happened to you once or twice now... kind of funny

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Sent one picture to a magazine, got your basic "cool but not interested" rejection letter, sent it to dirt rag (Very interested), figured all was good, it was going in dirt rag, on the same day I get emails from both art directors saying they want to run it. The first magazine was already in print, dirt rag wasn't, so basically the bigger (paying) publishing got shafted. Long story short I had about 3 days of shooting to get something for Jeff at dirt rag, so I had my friend going up and down the trails in the mud for about 3 hours one day.

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
first of all, yes biggins would own the copyright UNLESS a magazine decides to pick it up. most mags require the writer to give up their copyright to them - which means it can never be published anywhere else again.
second, the writer's market book is available in most public libraries so you won't have to shell out the $$ for it.
third, biggins your own sister is an editor. that's what my MA in English is for. and i'll even give you the family discount.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
hehe,

I've been published in 'Soldier of Fortune' a couple of times, never got paid, and am now certainly on some FBI watchlist...but some other publications have given me a little money from time to time. Biggins, dont expext much money for your work.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Motionboy2 said:
That is not entirely true. You can create something and it is considered copyrighted, but you don't have as much legal backing unless it is registered for copyright protection.

http://www.copyright.gov/register/
So what isn't true? You just confirmed what I said: the moment you create a work it is copyrighted. What level of protection you want to choose is up to you and anyone concerned about it should do some research to determine acceptable level of risk.

From your own link:
registration is not a condition of copyright protection.

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
the decision to register comes down to how much risk there is that your work could be stolen and used by somone else. if you are writing a book or song lyrics or music, register it. if you wrote a dirty limerick on a napkin, just put your name at the bottom with the little copyright symbol and it's done.
as far as legal weight, the courts have proven to be very on the fence about authorial rights - so really you have to decide what the material is worth to you.
at any rate, if you are writing for publication, you'll have to give up your rights to the material anyway, so as far as biggins goes, he can copyright it until he gets it published but after that it's no longer his. even HE can't reproduce it.
(i took a class in copyright law at UNC)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
bigginsis said:
the decision to register comes down to how much risk there is that your work could be stolen and used by somone else. if you are writing a book or song lyrics or music, register it. if you wrote a dirty limerick on a napkin, just put your name at the bottom with the little copyright symbol and it's done.
as far as legal weight, the courts have proven to be very on the fence about authorial rights - so really you have to decide what the material is worth to you.
at any rate, if you are writing for publication, you'll have to give up your rights to the material anyway, so as far as biggins goes, he can copyright it until he gets it published but after that it's no longer his. even HE can't reproduce it.

damn stacy you sound like you know what the hell you are talkin about

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
riderx said:
So what isn't true? You just confirmed what I said: the moment you create a work it is copyrighted. What level of protection you want to choose is up to you and anyone concerned about it should do some research to determine acceptable level of risk.

From your own link:
Exactly what I said before and what bigginsis is saying as well. If your work is at higher risk you should register it.

Even though registration is not a requirement for protection, the copyright law provides several inducements or advantages to encourage copyright owners to make registration.
I am definitely not saying you are wrong, because you are definitely not, I am just saying there is more to the story and he should look at all the options.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
bigginsis said:
To expand on this, there are several types of rights a publisher can purchase. For instance, one time rights will allow you to retain rights after the piece is published once(Dirt Rag is an example). All rights mean you know longer have any claim to the piece. For others, see this outline.

So, if you sell a piece, you may be able to resell it to another publication depending on your agreement.