Quantcast

Improving wireless reception?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Finally moved out of the truck and into an actual office buried in the bowls of the terminal. Even got a new desktop. I can pick up the terminal provided wireless signal for un-filtered internet access, but the signal isn't great. I'm planning on grabbing a network card with an antenna from one of the computers over at the hangar, but is there anything else I can do to improve the reception on the new machine?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Given that you probably cannot tamper with their access points configuration or upgrade them, the only options are better antenna or a USB external wifi adapter (often better than the stock internal cards as you can position them in better locations via USB cable than connected to the computer near the floor (and possibly shielded by a metal desk). A very directional antenna might be ideal - you could even make your own cantenna (they also sell premade ones at various places on the internet like Amazon etc...):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantenna

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't pay for internet access at home because I mooch off of the local laundrymat's wifi signal which they leave on 24/7. But with the source being over 200 yards away, the reception is horrible at my desktop. I purchased a usb wifi antenna. Routed the cable through the wall into the dining room where the signal is stronger.

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Wireless-Adaptor-Antenna-150Mbps/dp/B007M839S8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334472775&sr=8-4
Yeah there are a few popular USB options with ralink chipsets. This one is a bit smaller and portable (note you'll likely want a longer USB cable from amazon or monoprice, included cable is short):

http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036NHR-High-Gain-Omni-Directional-Wireless-N/dp/B005GQ8JR4/

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Thanks fellas. I like the cantenna idea. At work I typically have a lot of free time, and access to miles of antenna worthy wire and cable. I even have and old DishTV dish at home. I should be able to cobble up something awesome.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Thanks fellas. I like the cantenna idea. At work I typically have a lot of free time, and access to miles of antenna worthy wire and cable. I even have and old DishTV dish at home. I should be able to cobble up something awesome.
Parabolic dish should work great with the right adapter your range could be measured in miles. There are various DIY and premade ones on youtube:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Parabolic dish should work great with the right adapter your range could be measured in miles.
Miles you say? There is a starbucks about 1/4 of a mile from the house. I'll drop comcast like a bad habit if I could make that work at home......

When I get back from Tempe this will be very high on my priority list.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Miles you say? There is a starbucks about 1/4 of a mile from the house. I'll drop comcast like a bad habit if I could make that work at home......

When I get back from Tempe this will be very high on my priority list.
If the conditions are right (flat terrain, ideal AP and dish location, and no wifi unfriendly obstructions/crowded wifi airspace/EM interference sources) a range in miles is possible.