Quantcast

Imus

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I can't believe there hasn't been a thread about this. If there is and i missed it, let me know.

Of course what he said was inappropriate. But the bottom line is if a black person said it, it would have been perfectly fine.

Discuss.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
But the bottom line is if a black person said it, it would have been perfectly fine.
Like the crap that comes out of Michael Irvin's mouth.

Does he get away with it cuz he's black or cuz he's a former Dallas Cowboy great?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Seems like another case of "white guilt" kind of crap. All this "you can't say that because you're white" is counter intuitive to their mission of being equal in the world. What Imus said is still protected free speech. It was not said in anger but in jest, and intent is 100% applicable in this case. The amount of charity work Imus does vouches for his character, and on the other side you have an idiot like Al Sharpton and his questionable past.

Knappy headed hoes is really not the most important thing Sharpton needs to be focusing on...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
What Imus said is still protected free speech. It was not said in anger but in jest, and intent is 100% applicable in this case.
I agree that he has a right to say it and people can retaliate by writing sponsors and telling them they won't buy their products as long as they advertise on Imus' show.

But jest or not, it's not some subjective comment about blacks being physically better or something. He called them hoes? I don't think free speech protects insults/slander.

And his charity work is irrelevant. That's like saying if I give a million bucks to NAACP, I can kill me a porch monkey on Saturday.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Seems like another case of "white guilt" kind of crap. All this "you can't say that because you're white" is counter intuitive to their mission of being equal in the world. What Imus said is still protected free speech. It was not said in anger but in jest, and intent is 100% applicable in this case. The amount of charity work Imus does vouches for his character, and on the other side you have an idiot like Al Sharpton and his questionable past.

Knappy headed hoes is really not the most important thing Sharpton needs to be focusing on...
I'm sure the Rutgers women's basketball team found it as funny as you.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, on the one hand the statement is pretty benign, but on the other, he's got to be an idiot to have said something like that on the air. I mean he is white after all. Its not like he's a rapper and can get away with talk like that.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
I agree that he has a right to say it and people can retaliate by writing sponsors and telling them they won't buy their products as long as they advertise on Imus' show.

But jest or not, it's not some subjective comment about blacks being physically better or something. He called them hoes? I don't think free speech protects insults/slander.

And his charity work is irrelevant. That's like saying if I give a million bucks to NAACP, I can kill me a porch monkey on Saturday.
The charity comment was in response to the Sharpton/Imus confrontation this morning and shows in a roundabout way that Imus does not have hate in mind when he speaks.

Listening to the audio it was said as such an off the wall comment, it can't be construed as anything but a joke to everyone with common sense. There's absolutely nothing that he said that many MANY black people wouldn't say to each other. And that's where my problem lies; the double standard between what one race can say and another can't. There's a very prevalent double standard in this country today that allows minorities to use words of slander amongst themselves, but the white population is prohibited from using them.

Either allow everyone to use a word which is not outlawed by law, or ban the word and penalize those who use it regardless of race.

YMMV

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Holy crap, Rob's an Imus fan :rofl:

I bet you listen to iMus on your iPod ya fairy.

Mod edit: we discussed antagonizing this particular person. Please stop.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Holy crap, Rob's an Imus fan :rofl:

I bet you listen to iMus on your iPod ya fairy.

:eek:

EDIT: Oh sure, delete your post.
Uhhh, yup yup. Imus in the morning. Hyuk hyuk hyuk.

Mainly I have issue with the continued restriction of free speech. EVERYTHING can be offensive to everyone at some point in time. The black community loves to attack white people for "slandering" them (a reasonably minute issue in the grand scheme of things), but they won't clean up problems in their own community that are much much larger in scope. The petty nature of these kinds of things are ridiculous.

Hell, if jokes are fair game for people to complain about "slander", there's going to be a huge rash of racial comedians like Mencia who will be censored for their comedy.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, on the one hand the statement is pretty benign, but on the other, he's got to be an idiot to have said something like that on the air. I mean he is white after all. Its not like he's a rapper and can get away with talk like that.
At what point is it too far? I just read about Al Sharpton's radio interview with Imus, and Imus used the phrase, "you people".

I think with most people, it is us vs them, us being the good people and them being the racist scumbags. When you use the phrase, "you people", it is hard to put yourself in with the good people.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
At what point is it too far? I just read about Al Sharpton's radio interview with Imus, and Imus used the phrase, "you people".

I think with most people, it is us vs them, us being the good people and them being the racist scumbags. When you use the phrase, "you people", it is hard to put yourself in with the good people.
f'ing persians...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN

Well, if blacks are a group of people and he's speaking directly to them, I fail to see how "you people" is offensive.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Well, if blacks are a group of people and he's speaking directly to them, I fail to see how "you people" is offensive.
because anything can be offensive to someone who wants to be offended... and people are very easily offended if they think money could be involved.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Mainly I have issue with the continued restriction of free speech. EVERYTHING can be offensive to everyone at some point in time. The black community loves to attack white people for "slandering" them (a reasonably minute issue in the grand scheme of things), but they won't clean up problems in their own community that are much much larger in scope. The petty nature of these kinds of things are ridiculous.

Hell, if jokes are fair game for people to complain about "slander", there's going to be a huge rash of racial comedians like Mencia who will be censored for their comedy.
Where is the restriction on free speech? Imus said whatever he said, and much like N8's inane postings, people jumped on him for it because he made a dumbass statement. So what?

It's also pretty well established that Mencia is in fact a dumbass unfunny racist. Why you would pick him as an example is unfathomable to me...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, there is two reasons why "you people" is offensive. There is a suspicion, which I hold, that many people are racist but taught to hide those opinions. The only way you can figure whose racist is to ask general questions about race and see if someone slips up. Comments like "you people" is probably the first sign.

Imus was talking to Al Sharpton, not addressing the Million Man March. Al Sharpton, who I think is a scumbag, has as much to do with Barack Obama or Condi Rice as Peyton Manning represents all white people.

I don't see myself being different from blacks. Yeah, I'm Chinese and blacks are not, but I am looking for the things which make us similar, not different. That's why "you people" comments bother me. What makes Imus so special that he can address any group as "you people"?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Where is the restriction on free speech? Imus said whatever he said, and much like N8's inane postings, people jumped on him for it because he made a dumbass statement. So what?

It's also pretty well established that Mencia is in fact a dumbass unfunny racist. Why you would pick him as an example is unfathomable to me...
There is no restriction. There is no laws being broken. People want Imus off the air, which has nothing to do with his right to free speech.

Mencia is making jokes, whether they are funny or not, to a broad audience. Do you think a white man commenting about "nappy-headed hoes" is funny to blacks?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, there is two reasons why "you people" is offensive. There is a suspicion, which I hold, that many people are racist but taught to hide those opinions. The only way you can figure whose racist is to ask general questions about race and see if someone slips up. Comments like "you people" is probably the first sign.

Imus was talking to Al Sharpton, not addressing the Million Man March. Al Sharpton, who I think is a scumbag, has as much to do with Barack Obama or Condi Rice as Peyton Manning represents all white people.

I don't see myself being different from blacks. Yeah, I'm Chinese and blacks are not, but I am looking for the things which make us similar, not different. That's why "you people" comments bother me. What makes Imus so special that he can address any group as "you people"?
Well, in that context, I think "you people" could also be referring to simply the group of people calling for his resignation. You know, if there is a group of people on my lawn, and I open the door and say "you people get the hell off my lawn" I dont think there is necessarily anything racial behind it even if they do all happen to be black or chinese or both.
But let's assume that he was just speaking about blacks in general. Would you agree that Sharpton sees himself as at least somewhat of a representative for his race in a public/political spotlight? If Imus agrees with that and was using Sharpton as a conduit to speak to those he supposedly represents, categorizing his people as "you" is also not derogatory in anyway, just specific. If "you" describes who he is talking to and "people" acknowledges they're human beings...again, I fail to see the hate.
The only situation in which I can think a "you people" would be offensive is like if some person who isnt white wronged him in some way and he said "you people something something" insinuating that all people of that race participate in similar actions. Of course, that isnt the case here.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Did he call a spade a hoe?
That's like saying if I give a million bucks to NAACP, I can kill me a porch monkey on Saturday.
oh sure, delete your posts.

(oh wait, you have a sac)
robdamanii said:
there's going to be a huge rash of racial comedians like Mencia who will be censored for their comedy.
or in his case, someone else's comedy

i think imus will get a pass if he can angle his bush hatred some more. something like "at least i didn't drag them behind trucks". mostly where imus messed up is to not have the foresight that stern has by having a robin quivers type on staff. she diffused all by brushing off his lazy racism.

when are black people going to realize there will never be a day they won't be offended? i think that determining projected victim status should be a disqualifier for placement in society.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, in that context, I think "you people" could also be referring to simply the group of people calling for his resignation. You know, if there is a group of people on my lawn, and I open the door and say "you people get the hell off my lawn" I dont think there is necessarily anything racial behind it even if they do all happen to be black or chinese or both.
But let's assume that he was just speaking about blacks in general. Would you agree that Sharpton sees himself as at least somewhat of a representative for his race in a public/political spotlight? If Imus agrees with that and was using Sharpton as a conduit to speak to those he supposedly represents, categorizing his people as "you" is also not derogatory in anyway, just specific. If "you" describes who he is talking to and "people" acknowledges they're human beings...again, I fail to see the hate.
I would think you are wise enough to realize the difference between addressing a small group as "you people" and having a very charged discussion about race and dropping "you people" in the middle of it.

I have to stop and think why "you people" is offensive. Specifically about me and being Chinese, there are few offensive comments which would get under my skin. But there are two things which does bug me, ignorance and stupidity.

I have never heard the phrase, "you people" combined with some praise or insight for a racial group. It is usually addressing a member of some racial group by someone who lacks understanding and can only comment about the most obvious details about that particular racial group.

I can't say I know a lot about black people, although I have spent a lot of time in the company of a lot of blacks, on their terms, not mine.

One season where I coached a team of New Orleans kids in basketball, and I usually caught rides with their parents to tournaments. I don't remember much about our conversations (except everyone would start salivating when we would drive by restaurants offering fried alligator). I do remember there was very little need to discuss the differences between blacks and Asians.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I would think you are wise enough to realize the difference between addressing a small group as "you people" and having a very charged discussion about race and dropping "you people" in the middle of it.

I have to stop and think why "you people" is offensive. Specifically about me and being Chinese, there are few offensive comments which would get under my skin. But there are two things which does bug me, ignorance and stupidity.

I have never heard the phrase, "you people" combined with some praise or insight for a racial group. It is usually addressing a member of some racial group by someone who lacks understanding and can only comment about the most obvious details about that particular racial group.

I can't say I know a lot about black people, although I have spent a lot of time in the company of a lot of blacks, on their terms, not mine.

One season where I coached a team of New Orleans kids in basketball, and I usually caught rides with their parents to tournaments. I don't remember much about our conversations (except everyone would start salivating when we would drive by restaurants offering fried alligator). I do remember there was very little need to discuss the differences between blacks and Asians.
i didnt read all of that, but basically you are wanting to be offended... right?