Quantcast

Imus

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
God help the poor opressed white man. They've got it so damn hard nowadays, what with all that money and all that power, I can see how they're put upon. Poor things.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
God help the poor opressed white man. They've got it so damn hard nowadays, what with all that money and all that power, I can see how they're put upon. Poor things.
It's not about oppression, it's about this liberal, progressive PC movement that tells us we have to handle any minority with kid gloves. If the black community wants equality, then they should get FULL equality; no language restrictions, no affirmative action, no NAACP, none of it.

It's disgusting that the apologetic liberal white media has fueled this story and fed the ego of vultures like Sharpton and Jackson to the point of costing a man his job. Yet...a bunch of white guys had their lives ruined by a black woman and there's no apology for them. Nobody loses anything for them.

Ahh...progressive society at it's best.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
It's not about oppression, it's about this liberal, progressive PC movement that tells us we have to handle any minority with kid gloves.
The PC movement is not exclusive to liberals or progressives. There are plenty of conservatives who are plenty PC when someone refers to their own pet ideas in a way they don't care for.

And stop with the whole "I'm the only minority left in this country that's it's ok to oppress! I'm a white male!" bumper sticker bull****. It makes you sound like either a retard or a sniveling wuss. You're on the top of the heap, and like VB points out, you're complaining that the people you are standing on aren't comfortable enough on the soles of your lily white feet.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I wonder what his repsonse will be. I know he hated Imus for whatever reasons. But being the champion of free seech that he is, I wonder if his reaction will be any more than gloating....
He's more happy than I was when I heard that Ted Haggard was having meth fueled sex with gay prostitute. And I was over the ****ing moon...

Having said that, he's also pointed out a bunch of times what a hypocrite Sharpton is.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
White men of the world, I feel your collective pain. Please endure the un-endurable, bear the unbearable and stay the course. Better days are ahead I promise you.
If you think;
a) It's better/easier to be black than white in any country with more whites than blacks and...
b) You think the justice system f*cks over whites in favour of blacks instead of the other way around, then....
......you, my friend, are taking the bad crack in copius amounts.
If you can't, don't or won't realise the huge advantage your skin colour gives you in Western society then you are being deliberately obtuse.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Looks like the asshats got their wish. Imus is fired.

I guess there is no more free speech in America. There are words that whites can't use but blacks can, but if whites try to say there's something blacks can't say, it becomes a "racist problem". Instead of moving towards being a cohesive society and putting our differences aside, asshole "leaders" like Al Sharpton and all the whiny people who think they're entitled to something are just driving a wedge between races. There's no protection of unpopular speech anymore, unless it's a black person saying it. When they can talk about niggas and hoes, f**k tha police and kill the white man, it's all ok. There's nothing wrong with that and there's never outrage. But make a slightly inappropriate racial joke with no intended hate behind it, more of just a ballbuster kind of joke, and suddenly you're the next grand wizard. A black criminal beats up a 90 year old white woman and an 85 year old white woman and we call it crime. If a white man beat up a 90 and 85 year old black woman, it would be a hate crime. Incredible.

There is such an awful double standard in this country, and its propagated by this bizarre white guilt that has become fashionable in the past few years and by black "leaders" focusing on insignificant racial issues instead of dealing with the problems within their own race.

I never was a fan of Imus, nor did I find him funny. But goddamnit, he didn't do anything that warranted him losing his livelihood. I really just don't understand why there's such a double standard where there is "black lingo" that we're not allowed to use, but they can sling around nonchalantly. It boggles my mind. I guess being "progressive" means limiting our rights for the betterment of minorities.
If that's a "victory" for race relations I dont see how. The guy was really apologetic about the whole thing. Its not like he tried to change his story or just laugh it off. He took the concerns seriously and vowed to incorporate blacks into his show for perspective.
I also agree with the rest of your post.
So what if some whites have alot of power, why should the rest of us be burdened with that reputation? This whole categorizing races is what the problem is from the start, but yet its okay to categorize whites for being "powerful" and "on top of the heap" when it suits the agenda.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I guess there is no more free speech in America.

When they can talk about niggas and hoes, f**k tha police and kill the white man, it's all ok. There's nothing wrong with that and there's never outrage.
I never noticed this one before. You obviously are retarded, because you still have no concept of what free speech entails. But that's another thread...believe me, I don't have the time or the inclination to try to pound basic constitutional concepts into someone of your intellectual talent.

As to your second point, you're just plain wrong. There has ALWAYS been controversy over rap music lyrics. Have you been living under a rock? NWA was around in the mid 80s, for Christ's sake...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
If that's a "victory" for race relations I dont see how. The guy was really apologetic about the whole thing. Its not like he tried to change his story or just laugh it off. He took the concerns seriously and vowed to incorporate blacks into his show for perspective.
That's why you don't apologize to Al Freaking Sharpton. Had Imus just shut up and written a letter or made an apology to the Rutgers girls and gotten on with it, he might have been fine.

Who was giving Imus advice on this one? Michael Richards?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I never noticed this one before. You obviously are retarded, because you still have no concept of what free speech entails. But that's another thread...believe me, I don't have the time or the inclination to try to pound basic constitutional concepts into someone of your intellectual talent.

As to your second point, you're just plain wrong. There has ALWAYS been controversy over rap music lyrics. Have you been living under a rock? NWA was around in the mid 80s, for Christ's sake...
No you dolt, the point is the wonderful Reverend Al is more interested in pissing on Imus that dealing with sh!t like that. Do you EVER see him doing anything besides lining his own damned pockets? Has he done ANYTHING for the black community in the last 25 years besides leech off white guilt and destroy any progress that's been made in race relations? Why isn't he condemning the woman who accused the Duke kids of raping her? Oh, I guess because blacks can do no wrong and whites are the devil.

In Imus's case, I don't see racism. Words in themselves are not racist; racism requires intent. But I guess it doesn't matter when you're using words that the black community has deemed are "no-no words".

If you're so damned blind that you don't see there is as much racism in the black community as there is in the white community, then that's your cross to bear. If you think that only blacks can be wronged racially, that's also your cross to bear. Personally, I'm sick of the "black entitlement" and black double standard. Fvck Sharpton, fvck Jackson, fvck the white guilt that gives them power. Of course, someone of your intellectual talent should have already come to that conclusion, so I shouldn't have to explain it, should I?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
No you dolt, the point is the wonderful Reverend Al
Mind finding a spot in this thread where I defended Al Sharpton in this case?

If you're so damned blind that you don't see there is as much racism in the black community as there is in the white community, then that's your cross to bear. If you think that only blacks can be wronged racially, that's also your cross to bear. Personally, I'm sick of the "black entitlement" and black double standard. Fvck Sharpton, fvck Jackson, fvck the white guilt that gives them power.
Once again, could you point to me where I said that? You're projecting a lot of hostility here. You're more pathetic than the Rutgers girl who said she's been scarred for life by this. After all, she was the target of the insult. You're a totally removed party who is getting awfully worked up at the uppity negroes who are playing Imus and people like yourself like a finely tuned violin...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
No you dolt, the point is the wonderful Reverend Al is more interested in pissing on Imus that dealing with sh!t like that. Do you EVER see him doing anything besides lining his own damned pockets? Has he done ANYTHING for the black community in the last 25 years besides leech off white guilt and destroy any progress that's been made in race relations? Why isn't he condemning the woman who accused the Duke kids of raping her? Oh, I guess because blacks can do no wrong and whites are the devil.

In Imus's case, I don't see racism. Words in themselves are not racist; racism requires intent. But I guess it doesn't matter when you're using words that the black community has deemed are "no-no words".

If you're so damned blind that you don't see there is as much racism in the black community as there is in the white community, then that's your cross to bear. If you think that only blacks can be wronged racially, that's also your cross to bear. Personally, I'm sick of the "black entitlement" and black double standard. Fvck Sharpton, fvck Jackson, fvck the white guilt that gives them power. Of course, someone of your intellectual talent should have already come to that conclusion, so I shouldn't have to explain it, should I?
I don't think that there isn't any truth in what you're saying, but isn't there a difference between everyone being given the same rights and treating everyone exactly the same? Just because we are giving (ideally, in any case) people the same opportunities, same legal rights, etc. does that mean that, all of a sudden, there is no such thing as race? I don't think many people see it like this. Race exists and defines, to some degree, a person's upbringing, culture and identity. These are things divorced from legal rights. Saying that because these people fought for equal rights they are now expected to conform to some kind of universal code of informal conduct is a simplistic way to view the issue.

Additionally, black people are not monolithic in their views on language; there is a wide range of opinions on this.

Furthermore, the idea that words themselves are not racist and racism requires intent is wrong. Language can be racist/sexist/whatever in and of itself, through its own inherent properties. Racism certainly does not require intent.

Back to the original point of this...I really don't see how calling a group of young women "nappy haired hoes" is a good thing or something that should go unpunished, irrespective of any "double standard" or whatever.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It's not about oppression, it's about this liberal, progressive PC movement that tells us we have to handle any minority with kid gloves. If the black community wants equality, then they should get FULL equality; no language restrictions, no affirmative action, no NAACP, none of it.

It's disgusting that the apologetic liberal white media has fueled this story and fed the ego of vultures like Sharpton and Jackson to the point of costing a man his job. Yet...a bunch of white guys had their lives ruined by a black woman and there's no apology for them. Nobody loses anything for them.

Ahh...progressive society at it's best.
Hey, Imus is a very public figure who made a stupid, racist statement. Yeah, aholes like Sharpton worm their way in, but what Imus said was extremely rude and insulting, and he deserves whatever crap he gets.

While I blame the false accuser for lying, it was up to Mike Nifong to determine if this was a credible case. Coincidentally enough, he was running for re-election in a primarily black area when this case arose.

I doubt the accuser had hopes for a national smear campaign when she made a criminal complaint hours after dancing naked. She was drunk and probably feeling vindictive, and ultimately she was exploited by Nifong.

Yeah, the national media, particularily the kind that I read primarily, like the NY Times, went to town condemning rich white kids and jock behavior. I also liked how many of their fellow Duke students immediately protested as opposed to demanding to find out the truth:

I don't give a hoot if Sharpton or Coulter or Imus apologizes to the Duke lacrosse players. I would like to hear an apology from the Duke student organizations who protested their fellow students.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, ever check out the Innocence Project if you ever think blacks are treated with kid gloves.

Of the 198 exonerees:
# 119 African Americans
# 54 Caucasians
# 19 Latinos
# 1 Asian American

Hmm, more than 60% of the exonerees are black. Why is that?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
He should have just typed it in this forum and everyone would have thought he was joking.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
i am glad to see Imus censored though... now if we can just get ride of that sh!tty gangsta rap off the radio as well....

...and air amerika.

:)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I never was a fan of Imus, nor did I find him funny. But goddamnit, he didn't do anything that warranted him losing his livelihood. I really just don't understand why there's such a double standard where there is "black lingo" that we're not allowed to use, but they can sling around nonchalantly. It boggles my mind. I guess being "progressive" means limiting our rights for the betterment of minorities.

Freedom of speach protects you from the government censoring you. When you work for someone you represent that employer and if they do not like what you have to say, especially if it costs them money, they have every right to fire you.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Well, on the one hand the statement is pretty benign, but on the other, he's got to be an idiot to have said something like that on the air. I mean he is white after all. Its not like he's a rapper and can get away with talk like that.
w3rd.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
I don't think that there isn't any truth in what you're saying, but isn't there a difference between everyone being given the same rights and treating everyone exactly the same? Just because we are giving (ideally, in any case) people the same opportunities, same legal rights, etc. does that mean that, all of a sudden, there is no such thing as race? I don't think many people see it like this. Race exists and defines, to some degree, a person's upbringing, culture and identity. These are things divorced from legal rights. Saying that because these people fought for equal rights they are now expected to conform to some kind of universal code of informal conduct is a simplistic way to view the issue.

Additionally, black people are not monolithic in their views on language; there is a wide range of opinions on this.

Furthermore, the idea that words themselves are not racist and racism requires intent is wrong. Language can be racist/sexist/whatever in and of itself, through its own inherent properties. Racism certainly does not require intent.

Back to the original point of this...I really don't see how calling a group of young women "nappy haired hoes" is a good thing or something that should go unpunished, irrespective of any "double standard" or whatever.

I completely agree.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Okay this guy is just dumb...

http://www.losangeleschronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=24193
A radio station fired its longtime morning DJ Wednesday after he encouraged listeners to repeat talk-show host Don Imus' racially charged comments in an on-air contest.

Gary Smith told WSBG-FM listeners to call and say 'I'm a nappy-headed ho' for Tuesday's 'Phrase that Pays' contest, said Rick Musselman, executive vice president of station owner Nassau Broadcasting Partners L.P.

Musselman said that Smith was fired and not suspended because he uttered the slur in a premeditated manner, 'with full knowledge of the reaction to Don Imus' use of the exact same phrase.'

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Freedom of speach protects you from the government censoring you. When you work for someone you represent that employer and if they do not like what you have to say, especially if it costs them money, they have every right to fire you.
Pffft, proper interpretation of the constitution/bill o' rights is so 90s.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
All this "Imus losing his livelihood" crap is just melodrama anyway. He's pretty much at retirement age and if he has anything resembling a brain in his head, he should be financially set for life. And besides, someone will give him a job. It's not like he's ruined. People who hated him before still hate him now, and people who liked him before still like him now. I don't think what he said really changed anyone's opinion of him.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
All this "Imus losing his livelihood" crap is just melodrama anyway. He's pretty much at retirement age and if he has anything resembling a brain in his head, he should be financially set for life. And besides, someone will give him a job. It's not like he's ruined. People who hated him before still hate him now, and people who liked him before still like him now. I don't think what he said really changed anyone's opinion of him.
Still though, the guy worked for his career and likely loved it. Now all that's in jeopardy because of some lame publicity stunt by Al Sharpton. Sure, he shouldnt of said what he said, but come on...