Quantcast

inflation options for a road bike (poll)

how do you respond to a flat tire?

• Total voters

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ok, so i am not stranded on the road if i puncture, i've made the necessary procurement of a pump (frame), tubes, and wedge bag to carry them. however, i apparently ordered the wrong size frame pump (too large to fit), so i need to exchange it.

however, i was thinking that the pump's kinda ugly and takes away from the aesthetics of the bike itself...yeah, it's pretty ghey to think that way, but so be it. :wave:

so should i opt for the anti-earth CO2 cartridge system, or a smaller frame which i strap to the seat tube?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
DBR X6 RIDER said:
I never leave home without my Topeak Road Morph.
:stupid:

In addition to it being a great pump, it's got an inline gauge, which is really nice if you have a PSI preference.

DBR X6 RIDER said:
I would never dare mount it to my frame.:nope:
why? can't be fashion cuz you already wear a camelbak :D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I used to use one of the compact pumps - it worked, but was a nightmare to get a tire fully inflated. I've since changed to a blackburn frame pump - 100% better. It takes 1/4 of the time and 1/2 the effort of the old pump.

I do see the appeal in CO2, but knowing me I'd run out of CO2 and get stranded anyway. The unlimited air aspect of a pump far outweights the convenience of CO2, IMO.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
DBR X6 RIDER said:
I never leave home without my Topeak Road Morph. It works way better than my current floor pump. I wear a Camelbak when I ride, so it fits nicely in there.
I would never dare mount it to my frame.:nope:

A frame pump= style
A camelback on a road bike= not

Narlus,
Having a frame pump shows that you are above the petty fashion of the Noveau Riche roadie crowd. Only truly cool people, such as yourself rock them.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
jacksonpt said:
II do see the appeal in CO2, but knowing me I'd run out of CO2 and get stranded anyway.

Happened to me once when I had my old CO2 system. Ran out of CO2, and the wife didn't answer her cell phone, and there were no bike shops near by. I had to walk five miles in Adidas Girano road shoes.......

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I use an old (bought in the early 90's) Zefel frame pump. Big sucker that'll get a raod tire up to 120 psi pretty quickly. The annoying part is my Colnago doesn't have a pump peg, so I have to strap the handle-end to the top-tube. Not a big deal except I'd like to have it easier to access in case a chasing dog needs a beat-down... :rolleyes:

I've never been a fan of CO2, although I did carry them when XC racing.

HOOWAH

Monkey
Sep 16, 2001
portland, maine USA
I just use CO2 because it's easier and faster. For how infrequently i have flat tires i'd rather pony up the $2 for a CO2 than have to sit there and waste time pumping stuff up. You won't run out of CO2 if you just take your time and make sure you fix your flat correctly.

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
I carry one of these with a hole drilled in the end and one cylinder in it backwards. I also carry as many as 4 extra BB gun cartridges. They are super cheap and they inflate a tire to about 100 lbs. It's far quicker than a pump and you can carry as many as you have tubes, plus one, without much weight penalty.

If I were to carry a frame pump, I would carry a Road Morph.

oops - I forgot the picture

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
LordOpie said:
:stupid:

In addition to it being a great pump, it's got an inline gauge, which is really nice if you have a PSI preference.

why? can't be fashion cuz you already wear a camelbak :D
:o:

I'm an ex-courier, so I feel totally naked if I don't have something on my back. I carry my digi-cam everywhere I go as well, so I need somewhere to put it...as well as tools, etc.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
One thing to consider as a positive for frame pumps is that they're always there.

I'm an idiot. If I didn't have a frame pump and tool kit on each bike, I'd eventually be 30 miles from nowhere having forgotten everything.

Know your weaknesses :)