Quantcast

Injuries, broken bones, etc.

Aug 24, 2005
Olympia, WA
Hello everyone...I sustained my first real mtn biking injury--i broke my left wrist and right arm last weekend near Mt. Rainier. I'm completely bummed b/c I was going to try my 1st XC and DH race in 2 weeks and after that, the season is pretty much over. :nopity:

Have any of you broke a bone mtn biking? I'm curious :confused: how long it took you to heal, how you coped with the injury, and how you stayed in shape.

Thanks!

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Yep, I broke my left collarbone twice in a 6 month period while mtn biking. After the 2nd break, I had to have surgery and get a titanium plate and a bunch of screws. Yeah, being off the bike sucked! Both times I was out for about 6 weeks before I could start riding again. For staying in shape, after about the 4th week, I went to the gym and sat on a stationery bike, did steps and after the 6th week, I could do light weights. To cope w/ the injury I took up photography again. Sorry you got hurt, heal up! The PNW has had its share of injured riders this year.

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
Bummer!

I'm in the same boat though, about 3 weeks ago I broke my left wrist and right thumb.
I was practicing for a DH race that was last weekend. I had surgery 2 weeks ago on my thumb they put in a couple of pins so it will heal correctly. I have a cast on both arms like you, I'm sure. The only other major injury I've had mountain biking was a separated shoulder a couple of years ago.

Take it easy for a few weeks, maybe just do some walking or hiking. Then you can start exercising more. Take advantage of PT if possible.
Also I've heard calcium and gluscosamine supplements help.

Good luck!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
couple. i broke a couple of ribs snowboarding then came back and raced a 100miles on a mtb a couple of days later.
i also had a hair line fracture of the pelvis. that kept me off the bike for about a week. month and a half later i attempted a 24-hour solo.
wrists are touchy dont rush it. A spin class or a trainer will do you good.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I have broke my right collar bone riding and now I'm dealing with a broken right humerus. Thank god I'm left handed.

With the collar bone I was able to ride the recumbent stationary bike with in a week of the break. I starting running after 2 weeks. When I got more movement in my arm I started swimming with a kick board.

Ha, now the arm is a different story. After 5 weeks I just got cleared to ride the recumbent bike and walking is still kinda painful. We have been hiking often but my shoulder starts to ache after a few miles.

I would suggest swimming if a pool is near. That was a great cardio workout!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I've broken two vertebrae, a wrist, and my humerus.

The wrist was a long time ago in a DH race and I got out of biking for awhile after that.

The vertebrae were due to a DH fall and I was off the bike for two months. The injury was in late November and December and Janurary aren't too good for riding around here, so it was a good time to be off the bike. Te doc only suggested that I stay off the bike for a month.

The humerus was again due to Dhing and it happened in mid July last year. The doc told me I was going to be out for 8-10 weeks. However I started riding the trainer the week of the accident. Getting my heart rate up and blood flowing did so much to help me heal. After every session my arm felt so much better. I rode my XC bike again 4 weeks after the injury and I was DHing by 8 weeks. By mid September I was racing again.

Stay focused but don't worry about it. It will heal and you'll know when to get back at it.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
profro said:
I've broken two vertebrae, a wrist, and my humerus.

The wrist was a long time ago in a DH race and I got out of biking for awhile after that.

The vertebrae were due to a DH fall and I was off the bike for two months. The injury was in late November and December and Janurary aren't too good for riding around here, so it was a good time to be off the bike. Te doc only suggested that I stay off the bike for a month.

The humerus was again due to Dhing and it happened in mid July last year. The doc told me I was going to be out for 8-10 weeks. However I started riding the trainer the week of the accident. Getting my heart rate up and blood flowing did so much to help me heal. After every session my arm felt so much better. I rode my XC bike again 4 weeks after the injury and I was DHing by 8 weeks. By mid September I was racing again.

Stay focused but don't worry about it. It will heal and you'll know when to get back at it.
Dude you were riding XC after 4 weeks for the humerus break? WTF!!! It's been 5 weeks and my hand is still swollen, huge like!!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Snacks said:
Dude you were riding XC after 4 weeks for the humerus break? WTF!!! It's been 5 weeks and my hand is still swollen, huge like!!
Luckily I cracked it up at the ball and it wasn't all the way through. Very lucky indeed.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
profro said:
Luckily I cracked it up at the ball and it wasn't all the way through. Very lucky indeed.
Very lucky for sure! Of all the breaks I have had this is the most painfull :( But I did get to the gym for the first time since the break this morning and it felt great! :dancing:

Aug 24, 2005
Olympia, WA
Thanks for the tips! Speaking of trainers--I'm currently researching them due to my current situation. Any recommendations? I've heard that the 1upusa is the deal!

Aug 24, 2005
Olympia, WA
profro said:
doc told me I was going to be out for 8-10 weeks. However I started riding the trainer the week of the accident. Getting my heart rate up and blood flowing did so much to help me heal. After every session my arm felt so much better. I rode my XC bike again 4 weeks after the injury and I was DHing by 8 weeks. By mid September I was racing again.

QUOTE]

Thanks for you story! Thats very encouraging. I'm going to spinning class tonight and I hope it helps!

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
I had a compound fracture, right arm. It took for ever to heal because the bones wouldn't fuse, and finally they did. I was so depressed that I didn't do anything physical, I got really fat and out of shape. I wish I had stayed active which would have been easy because the injury was in my arm. It is good that you want to stay active.

I know this will sound crazy but broken bones are somewhat the best injury to have compared to others. Think about a dislocated shoulder or torn ACL, or anything that has to do with a joint or a muscle. I have a friend who had a slight tear in his hamstring and is still dealing with it 1 year later. Those injuries lag on forever. Broken bones are broken, and then they heal, done. It takes time so be patient and stay active.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I fractured my hip and 3 broke ribs. The hip surprizingly only took about 2 weeks before I was back on the bike racing. The ribs hurt for about 2, but I was back racing by then too.

You can still spin with no hands. If you have a trainer, just set it up and go!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Broke my leg while DHing. I ended up having surgery which sped up the healing time. I was back at work in two weeks though I really should have taken another week or two off. I was on a trainer in about 6 to 8 weeks, and was back on the trail on the DH bike in about 11 weeks. My advice would be to do whatever your doc asks, do research about your type of injury (I learned about how to rehap the leg faster, The physical therapist was amazed at how fast i healed), do tons of PT (but don't overdo it), and be patient. After a year my leg still showed a little swelling which was normal.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Ciaran said:
Broke my leg while DHing. I ended up having surgery which sped up the healing time. I was back at work in two weeks though I really should have taken another week or two off. I was on a trainer in about 6 to 8 weeks, and was back on the trail on the DH bike in about 11 weeks. My advice would be to do whatever your doc asks, do research about your type of injury (I learned about how to rehap the leg faster, The physical therapist was amazed at how fast i healed), do tons of PT (but don't overdo it), and be patient. After a year my leg still showed a little swelling which was normal.

Where did you go to reserch your injury?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I used the internet and reserached my injury and PT excercises for my injury. My PT was amazed how quick I came back too. I think docs and PTs deal with lazy out of shape people and their estimates are based somewhat on that. So stay active and I think you'll find you will heal quicker.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Snacks said:
Where did you go to reserch your injury?
Why, tha intarweb of course!

I limitied the search to hospital and university sites, sites by docs, etc. The local library had little but once I got back to work (I work at a hospital) the medical library was useful.

Aug 24, 2005
Olympia, WA
I totally agree! I'm lucky to just have a broken bone! Its been about three weeks now, and I'm moving my wrist around and holding 3-5 pounds (they never casted it, just have a brace). I'm actually considering doing an XC race this weekend. It doesn't hurt at all to ride, its just the potential of falling that's the problem. But my potential of falling in an XC race is much less than in a DH race. Do you guys think I'm ridiculous?

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
I'm in a cast with multiple fractures in my foot, at week 5. ( slapped foot on ground on a gap to flat, foot basically explored) Has anyone here had any experience with broken feet? It doesn't seem like there is much rehab I can do right now. All I can do is not walk on it and drink milk.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
When it comes to injuries, I consider myself an expert :)

Riding, I've broken my left clavacle, right hand, nose, bruised ribs, and torn PCL. Thats just riding, i've broken other stuff doing other things too. I've usually been in a cast for 6 weeks, and take it easy after that. Best advice I can give is go to a Sports Medicine doctor, and TALK TO THEM! Tell them what you do, that you want to get back on the bike soon, and they should be able to help you, and give you a realistic outlook.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136749&page=3

I have just had the worst injury in my biking career. I'ts kind of slow going (well at least to me) but so far so good. I just got my cast taken off yesterday (it's been 3 weeks) and now have a removable boot. I keep reading about folks on stationary trainers but that's not an option for me. So I will be searching the web for info...In the between time it's lots of reading, sleeping, and video games...D

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
man, three weeks - you got off easy. I'm in the soft boot now, but I was in one cast and then another for a total of 8 weeks. I'm just happy I've been cleared for road bikes now. After 8 weeks you have a lot more rehab to do with the muscles basically disintergrated.

It doesn't look like i'll get to dirt jump for at least 2 months.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
I have only been in one serious accident riding. But it was a doozy. Concucssion so bad they called it a closed head wound, broken molar, jaw broken in two places after it dislocated on both sides and crushed my throat, slid on left half of face for a while, the lower "jaw protector" actually grabbed my lower lip and proceeded to tear the lip from my front right canine all the way back to my left rear molar off of my lower mandilble seperating at the gumline, C1 and 2 subluxated to dislocation with epidural hematoma at base of skull with soft tissue damage and compact fractures of T6,7 and 8.
That was 12weeks ago. Just got the brace off yesterday and I will be riding my road bike this week. Praise God!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
BMXman said:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136749&page=3

I have just had the worst injury in my biking career. I'ts kind of slow going (well at least to me) but so far so good. I just got my cast taken off yesterday (it's been 3 weeks) and now have a removable boot. I keep reading about folks on stationary trainers but that's not an option for me. So I will be searching the web for info...In the between time it's lots of reading, sleeping, and video games...D
Damn D i didnt know, heal up quick. I also have to update mine. I broke my collar bone 4 weeks ago. it was pretty bad although i didnt have to have surgery. It still hurts a little but i'm going to try to ride on the rhode tonight.
heal up
t