Quantcast

instant salad dressing....

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
instant salad dressing....
In a jelly jar put 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 cup honey, 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar, 1 minced shallot or 1 clove of garlic or both, and salt and pepper. Shake & pour.

This makes a good base for many different dressings. swap the honey out for molasses or maple syrup...or add chopped cilantro or cumin seeds.

this is also good for marinating meat & veggies in before grilling.
:thumb:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
IIRC Alton Brown (Good Eats episode) says to put a splash of mustard in first...

Since Mustard is already an emulsion, it helps to make the oil and vinegar combine quicker and creamier than the shake, shake, shake method alone...

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
what was the fail & a half?
Ringing the water out of the graded potatoes, it sorts works, but they still get a bit pink and mushy. The trick I later learned is to rinse the potatoes off real well after grading. The starch is what makes it soggy and not so good, so instead of ringing most of it out, you rinse it all off

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Ringing the water out of the graded potatoes, it sorts works, but they still get a bit pink and mushy. The trick I later learned is to rinse the potatoes off real well after grading. The starch is what makes it soggy and not so good, so instead of ringing most of it out, you rinse it all off
I'm pretty sure that Alton Brown knows a bit more about food and how to properly prepare and cook a lot better than you can.

I've met him quite a few time at NECI, really good people.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Working in a restaurant in high school, we grated the potato skin and all, soaked in COLD water for at least 30 minutes and cook. Starches break down in cold water. I still do this at home and they always come out awesome.

Our homemade salad dressing is far more simple. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the whole salad, mill pepper onto salad, serve with lemon slices. My kids prefer this to ranch dressing, which says alot, and they have started asking for "lemons, no dressing" when getting salads in restaurants.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Or cut them in half and soak them in cold water for an hour.
Same idea, less time

I'm pretty sure that Alton Brown knows a bit more about food and how to properly prepare and cook a lot better than you can.

I've met him quite a few time at NECI, really good people.
9 out of 10 times his I think his recipes are great. Once and a while they are a flop though, I use his pie crust recipe ALL the time

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Working in a restaurant in high school, we grated the potato skin and all, soaked in COLD water for at least 30 minutes and cook. Starches break down in cold water. I still do this at home and they always come out awesome.

Our homemade salad dressing is far more simple. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the whole salad, mill pepper onto salad, serve with lemon slices. My kids prefer this to ranch dressing, which says alot, and they have started asking for "lemons, no dressing" when getting salads in restaurants.
i've never understood what Ranch is supposed to taste like, trans-fats?...it has always creeped out.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
IIRC Alton Brown (Good Eats episode) says to put a splash of mustard in first...

Since Mustard is already an emulsion, it helps to make the oil and vinegar combine quicker and creamier than the shake, shake, shake method alone...
Agreed. I always do that if I want a smooth vinaigrette. About a teaspoon will do it. [generic dijon, so it's not too yellow]

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
I usually do pretty much the same thing, except i just start thowing whatever herbs i have laying around in it too...i've found oregano, rosemary, and garlic are pretty good to mix in.....i've never tried honey in it though, sounds interesting though

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I usually do pretty much the same thing, except i just start thowing whatever herbs i have laying around in it too...i've found oregano, rosemary, and garlic are pretty good to mix in.....i've never tried honey in it though, sounds interesting though
Honey is what I've picked up from all the Greek nationals living in my 'hood. Not a lot, but a bit.

Btw. Greek Salads don't have ANY FUQING LETTUCE!

just fyi.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA

Aside form combining quicker and tasting better, mustard also helps keep things from separating so quickly. Tahini also works for that and adds an interesting flavor.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
no, but everything made with buttermilk is usually damn good.
That's how they make it commercially up here. No Hidden Valley stuff, just Renee and President's Choice. Pretty good, for store-bought.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I tried this over the weekend and it worked well. I let the grated potato sit in some water for a while then rinsed and repeated.