Quantcast

Intel SSD

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Just bought a used Mac Pro and it has an 80gb Intel SSD in the spare optical drive spot. I'm curious about what to do with it. One thought was to pull it and re-sell it. Other was to install the OS/Apps etc on it and use the 4 internal bays for backups/storage/what have you. Pros/Cons?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Use it for your O/S/apps drive. A fast SSD might be the single biggest performance boost per dollar that you can buy now.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Yeah use it for the boot disk. Install another drive for your user folder. You can specify where your user folder resides by right clicking on your account in the sys prefs.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
SSD is the boot/app disc. I can't seem to move the user folder though. To google I go I guess.

Edit: Figgered it out...stupid lock icon has to to be clicked first. Forgot about that. Doh. All done then. Migrated stuff from the G4 to this box via ethernet cable (took forever). Need to figure out how to adjust this U2410 now.

Last edited:

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I expected that , At work was playing with a Fusion IO SSD that Plugs straight into the Bus , Stupid Stupid fast!
Nanoseconds vs milliseconds

it's so fast it doesn't stick to the side of the toilet bowl