Quantcast

Intend Edge fork, much less absurd

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Finally got a few rides on this thing and it's pretty amazing.

For the chassis; lots of fore/aft stiffness. Front wheel braking seems extra effective, like there is less chassis flex happening compared to a traditional fork.
Ran it through some rock gardens and did not notice any vagueness or deflection.

The air spring is very unique. Not only is it adjustable from 150-180mm in 1mm increments, but when you attach the pump it actually connects and equalizes the positive and negative air chambers. This lets you effectively adjust the negative chamber pressure. If you have it in the stand and attach a pump, it will equalize at full extension and have minimal negative pressure and top out slightly like a preloaded coil spring. If you attach it when the bike is on the ground, you can push down slightly and equalize the chambers at a slightly higher negative pressure/volume. This will make it feel more like a current Fox 36 air spring where the fork sags 10mm or so under it's own weight and is super soft off the top.

It comes with 3 different size caps for adjusting the positive chamber volume, running the lowest volume currently at 84psi and it's quite progressive.

Damper is in the middle for LSC, and wound pretty far out for rebound. Feels damn good, to the point that it makes the rear feel like crap (haven't had that from a fork in a long time). Currently testing out three different shock tunes and the fork is better than all of them. The damper is a sealed bladder type, have not pulled it apart yet.

$700 dollars cheaper and a pound and a half lighter than the dentists favorite "most advanced suspension fork". :thumb:

ride1.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I full stop hate that attaching the pump equalizes the chambers on my manitous forks. It just needs a simple divot like RS. After a season, the air seal separating them gives out and I’ve replaced it twice now. Also, since its on the bottom it’s infuriating having to hook up a pump to the bottom and you cant just “quick bleed to optimal” if a little overfilled, like how you would dial in anything else on the trail. It is not a “feature” IME.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I full stop hate that attaching the pump equalizes the chambers on my manitous forks. It just needs a simple divot like RS. After a season, the air seal separating them gives out and I’ve replaced it twice now. Also, since its on the bottom it’s infuriating having to hook up a pump to the bottom and you cant just “quick bleed to optimal” if a little overfilled, like how you would dial in anything else on the trail. It is not a “feature” IME.
The feature part of it is not having to buy ever increasingly expensive parts to change travel, and really just not having to open up the fork to do so.

I also don't suffer from bike inversion rage so YMMV.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Nothing to add on the fork but man I like that sort of British Racing green going with that Airdrop. Wonder if you can get it with the rocker anodised black.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
And a light mist of lowers oil spraying on the disc if not careful detaching the pump hose.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My Mezzer is close to three years old and I have had no issue with the air spring equalizing.
But, a proper dual air system like a Selva R is a way better design for tuning and simplicity.
I was going to upgrade my Selva to the dual air until I found out the air spring was 550 Aussie dollars.

RMC, how much do you weigh?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
For the chassis; lots of fore/aft stiffness. Front wheel braking seems extra effective, like there is less chassis flex happening compared to a traditional fork.
Ran it through some rock gardens and did not notice any vagueness or deflection.
How is the stiffness on techy slow uphill? Like up a rock garden so to say. That's where I felt the most the lack of stiffness on the only inverted fork I tried. It was so bad that it threw me out of balance a few time :eek: the fork was not from Intend but from an obscure french company

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Finally got a few rides on this thing and it's pretty amazing.

The air spring is very unique. Not only is it adjustable from 150-180mm in 1mm increments, but when you attach the pump it actually connects and equalizes the positive and negative air chambers. This lets you effectively adjust the negative chamber pressure. If you have it in the stand and attach a pump, it will equalize at full extension and have minimal negative pressure and top out slightly like a preloaded coil spring. If you attach it when the bike is on the ground, you can push down slightly and equalize the chambers at a slightly higher negative pressure/volume. This will make it feel more like a current Fox 36 air spring where the fork sags 10mm or so under it's own weight and is super soft off the top.

It comes with 3 different size caps for adjusting the positive chamber volume, running the lowest volume currently at 84psi and it's quite progressive.

Damper is in the middle for LSC, and wound pretty far out for rebound. Feels damn good, to the point that it makes the rear feel like crap (haven't had that from a fork in a long time). Currently testing out three different shock tunes and the fork is better than all of them. The damper is a sealed bladder type, have not pulled it apart yet.

$700 dollars cheaper and a pound and a half lighter than the dentists favorite "most advanced suspension fork". :thumb:

View attachment 211652
I seen you have the Rulezman guards, nice idea shame he's a total balloon to deal with. I have an infinity from them on my bike and when ive rode it. Its pretty incredible!

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Nothing to add on the fork but man I like that sort of British Racing green going with that Airdrop. Wonder if you can get it with the rocker anodised black.
Yes you can, wish I had gone that route.

My Mezzer is close to three years old and I have had no issue with the air spring equalizing.
But, a proper dual air system like a Selva R is a way better design for tuning and simplicity.
I was going to upgrade my Selva to the dual air until I found out the air spring was 550 Aussie dollars.

RMC, how much do you weigh?
About 175# these days.

How is the stiffness on techy slow uphill? Like up a rock garden so to say. That's where I felt the most the lack of stiffness on the only inverted fork I tried. It was so bad that it threw me out of balance a few time :eek: the fork was not from Intend but from an obscure french company
Nothing weird climbing yet. In fact it is so supple that I stopped trying to pick my way through the rocks and just went straight over it all. It did feel "different" a few times in slower flat turns. Don't quite know what I was feeling yet, but for sure nothing crazy.

I seen you have the Rulezman guards, nice idea shame he's a total balloon to deal with. I have an infinity from them on my bike and when ive rode it. Its pretty incredible!
Yeah, still have some regrets about those. Way overpriced for what they are, and he charged almost double what Intend charged to ship the fork. I also had to notch the brake side guard otherwise it hit the hose guide on the fork about 10mm before bottom out.
:bonk:

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Yeah, still have some regrets about those. Way overpriced for what they are, and he charged almost double what Intend charged to ship the fork. I also had to notch the brake side guard otherwise it hit the hose guide on the fork about 10mm before bottom out.
:bonk:
Yeah they are far too much for what they are,I like them but the guys a fucking idiot. He doesnt take any questions on anything its his way or the high way and his bike setup expertise is absolutely nonsense.

I also said just set up an online store with them on it so people done have have to deal with you, noI only sell to people that contact me. So bizarre.

madpharma

Chimp
Oct 16, 2018
Me and my friends sent in 2016 three dorados to Rulezman (before he got insta famous) and it is the best fork we ever rode. He has some strong opinions on some products and bike geometry, some of wich I dont agree with, but the tunning he does to the dorados is superb to be honest.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm running my shockcraft modded Mezzer now, new rebound piston and shims, revised compression shims. I don't have any great tests yet, as stuff is just drying out and we're riding a few dug DH paths through sand/dirt and a few roots, but impressions seem positive so far.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I'm running my shockcraft modded Mezzer now, new rebound piston and shims, revised compression shims. I don't have any great tests yet, as stuff is just drying out and we're riding a few dug DH paths through sand/dirt and a few roots, but impressions seem positive so far.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Very curious on how you find it compares to something Craig would do. Have looked at a couple of Dougal's products but have not pulled the trigger. He is quite a polarizing personality - but Craig isn't? I agree with a lot of what he says, but then he will lose a corner and fly into the weeds at high speed. Ah the joys of online.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Very curious on how you find it compares to something Craig would do. Have looked at a couple of Dougal's products but have not pulled the trigger. He is quite a polarizing personality - but Craig isn't? I agree with a lot of what he says, but then he will lose a corner and fly into the weeds at high speed. Ah the joys of online.
I assume he just means Lezz Shimz per Dougal recommendations.

I am actually very happy with the stock damping on my Mezzer. It is on the stiff side but last weekend was the first time I rode it in prime conditions. When I am hauling ass it is sublime. But I probably weight a few cases of beer more than @Jm_ and have all the compression knobs all the way out.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not less shimz, it's a different rebound piston because the stock chokes pretty bad then different shim stacks. You also get a whole range of setups with this mod too, so if you don't like one, you can go either direction.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I assume he just means Lezz Shimz per Dougal recommendations.

I am actually very happy with the stock damping on my Mezzer. It is on the stiff side but last weekend was the first time I rode it in prime conditions. When I am hauling ass it is sublime. But I probably weight a few cases of beer more than @Jm_ and have all the compression knobs all the way out.
Yeah I was too, went from a 150mm Z1 to a 130mm Mezzer, the Mezzer felt like it had more travel than the Z1 it was just so much more composed.
I still need to send Fox a thank you email for getting me on to a Mezzer.
The current Selva with a red tune seems a touch better than the Mezzer but I do have it se to wide open on pretty much everything so there might be a better suited tune for me..............or I just need to ride more aggressively.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Did you get the Pick&Mix deal from Shockcraft?
What did it end up costing to get to to the US?
Looks like just over $200 after conversion. I had to get a shaft clamp off of ebay for manitou stuff, because of course that's some wacky manitou-size, despite already having common sizes.

It did good on the slab/steep stuff today. Not quite as good down low in the chunky lower speed, but looks like I was running a little too much pressure, missing out on about an inch under some pretty hard g-outs and a few drops. It'll take a while to figure out what I like and don't like and see how it stacks up overall. Still running on some pretty early-season trails that aren't that frequent for me to ride in the summer.

GX013330 - frame at 0m9s.jpg

Last edited: