Quantcast

Intense DH Tire Info Needed

Hey Everyone,

I've searched around a little bit and can't find much in the way of good info/reviews on the Intense DH Tire Line (besides the descriptions on their website) http://www.intensetires.com/dh.html
It would be cool to put together some reviews/descriptions from people that have real life experience with the different tires. Comparisons to well known models of other companies would be cool too (ex. one of them reminds you of a highroller/comp16/big betty ect.)

If anyone with good info could help me fill in a description for the following tires including how you like them in different conditions that would be awesome.
The Models are listed below.
Thanks in advance!

Invader --

Edge --

909 --

Intruder --

Zero --

Spike -- Full on Mud Tire, pretty self explanatory

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
I have the Invader, Edge, 909 and the Intruder all 2.35s in both the FR and DH compounds. I started running them at the very end of last season and I have to say that even with the little ride time I had on them I was impressed. After I get some additional time on all of them I'll be posting a thorough review on MTBGearTech.com. So far my favorite combo for most conditions has been the 909 in the front with the Edge out back. The Edge reminds me a little bit of the Minion DHr. I am running them with tubes and haven't tried them tubeless. I have tried the Invader as well. It's the old "DH" tire and seems to be better on hardpack than anything else.

It's not much but I hope it helps.

I have the Invader, Edge, 909 and the Intruder all 2.35s in both the FR and DH compounds. I started running them at the very end of last season and I have to say that even with the little ride time I had on them I was impressed. After I get some additional time on all of them I'll be posting a thorough review on MTBGearTech.com. So far my favorite combo for most conditions has been the 909 in the front with the Edge out back. The Edge reminds me a little bit of the Minion DHr. I am running them with tubes and haven't tried them tubeless. I have tried the Invader as well. It's the old "DH" tire and seems to be better on hardpack than anything else.

It's not much but I hope it helps.
Yeah, good stuff thanks! Keep it coming!

rewt

Chimp
Nov 30, 2007
Northern DE, USA
I've used the Edge in 2.35 (current tire) and the 909 in 2.5. Please note, I'm not a hardcore racer, tire-tester or tire whore.

909 - In 2.5, high volume big tire. Performs well in loose stuff. Performs decent over rocks if you drop the pressure down. Not great in hard pack; side knobs fold over. Sheds mud okay.

Edge - In 2.35, definitely not as big as the 909, but still tough as the plies seem thick to me. Works nice in rocky terrain, and works nice over hard pack. I haven't had an opportunity to try them in legitimate loose terrain except mud. Sheds mud okay, but does not grip well.

Hope this "review" gives you a little information you can use.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Have you tried a search here on the Monkey? Should be a ton of useful stuff out there... what about the review section on MTBR.com?

I can only speak of my experience on the 909's (2.5" old-skool 4-ply 60a) - and I agree with Rice: They are rubber rings of death on roots. Since I had the 60a compound tires they were also instant death on wet rocks too (but this is pretty much a given for most 60a compounds).

HOWEVER: In loam and mulch - I found that these things hook up like no other! I could lean it pretty hard and still find traction. At the limit under these conditions break (when the tires would start to drift) was fairly predictable. On hardpack either dry or wet they hooked up pretty well and had about the same rolling resistance as a Minion DHF. Grip was good but not like in loam/loose/mulch where those moto-style knobs could dig in.

Hope this helps.

TheSquid

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
I've been running the Invader (previously known as the DH) for almost a year now and they impressed me quite a lot. This tire is surprisingly good on hardpack despite their semi-spike look and hooks up like crazy in the loam and soft stuff ^^^definitely agree with the lean factor as stated above. Very good wear aswell, last a hell of a lot longer than a pair of maxxis'. But do have a bit of a harder feel to them.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Have you tried a search here on the Monkey? Should be a ton of useful stuff out there... what about the review section on MTBR.com?

I can only speak of my experience on the 909's (2.5" old-skool 4-ply 60a) - and I agree with Rice: They are rubber rings of death on roots. Since I had the 60a compound tires they were also instant death on wet rocks too (but this is pretty much a given for most 60a compounds).

HOWEVER: In loam and mulch - I found that these things hook up like no other! I could lean it pretty hard and still find traction. At the limit under these conditions break (when the tires would start to drift) was fairly predictable. On hardpack either dry or wet they hooked up pretty well and had about the same rolling resistance as a Minion DHF. Grip was good but not like in loam/loose/mulch where those moto-style knobs could dig in.

Hope this helps.
I have the 40a compound 909 and it is better on wet rocks and roots but still not great.

Nov 29, 2005
South Boston kid guy
The Intruder in the sticky compound (has to be the sticky for decent wet and rooty grip) in 2.5 is hands down one of my, if not my favorite tire (for the front anyway). Sometimes hard to find and they are a little heavy - but super aggressive tread, tears up corners and ski slope, sheds mud well, don't flat easy and I have had nothing but good experience in steep/rooty/rocky New England courses. I never really see anyone using them but I would highly recommend giving them a shot, you wont be disappointed.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
i hated the 909's in rooty sections. no grip at all especially compared to the Minion
I had the same exact experience with them.

I did like the 909 when it was dry. It wears very slow too, I have at least 10 days of riding on a set and they still look good. 2.5 dual ply 909's

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
JensonUSA has reviews listed with the products they are selling.

You'll find almost the entire Intense tire line-up in the 'Bargain Bin'.

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
Are we talking here about the new models because their old FRO designation is no longer used as they introduced the new line up per their site. The DH models are all 50a durometer now with no different coloured centre strip.

FullMonty

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
An old bike of mine came with a pair of Intense Edge (old FRO, so kevlar bead, dual ply, sticky rubber,) and I was thoroughly unimpressed. Only good thing I can say is that they had decent traction on woodwork and wet rock thanks to the rubber compound. I found them to feel really vague pretty much any time speed was involved, which isn't so bad on the rear if you like to ride a bit rowdy - but the front was disconcerting.

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
I've got a set of single ply invaders on the trail bike. I picked them up at jenson for next to nothing to try them out. I have been pretty impressed. They are great for the loamy/soft conditions that the fall and winter bring here and are good enough on hardpack, although they could certainly roll faster. If the weight that intense claims is accurate then they are fairly light too. Pretty tough sidewalls despite being single ply, I have run super low pressures and have only had one flat with them in about 6months of riding.

That being said, they are gonna get replaced with muddy mary's once the Gooey gluey gets re-stocked.

gav_dub100

Chimp
Aug 26, 2009
Dublin
The Intruder in the sticky compound (has to be the sticky for decent wet and rooty grip) in 2.5 is hands down one of my, if not my favorite tire (for the front anyway). Sometimes hard to find and they are a little heavy - but super aggressive tread, tears up corners and ski slope, sheds mud well, don't flat easy and I have had nothing but good experience in steep/rooty/rocky New England courses. I never really see anyone using them but I would highly recommend giving them a shot, you wont be disappointed.
+1. I dont have that much time on this tyre as of yet but all of the above has applied to what i have found so far. Grip on slick rock is obviously not as good as say a highroller but when it does let go it does so in a predictable manner, no major drama. It holds a line on loose off camber stuff effortlessly. Great option to have between a spike and dry tyre.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm looking at additional tires...is this tire the same as the intruder 2.5 DH compound?

Says sticky rubber, dual ply, etc. They are super cheap and I'd like to compare them to my minions.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
what he said.http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/20486-320_INTIL0-3-Parts-73-Tires/Mountain/Intense-Intruder-FRO-Tire-26x2.35---2.50.htm

Last edited:

onelove1240

Chimp
Mar 12, 2008
Park City,UT
I have a set of the 909 Fro 2.35 dul ply front and rear and it's all I run.I have tried Maxxis Tires many times before but didn't like them very much I feel like they have a short life and thin sidewall.Got alot of flat with Maxxis but it's pretty hard to flat an Intense They are lighter if your into saving weight through..

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
So quick question...the "sticky rubber" that intense says their tires are made with...what are those equivalent to in the Maxxis tire compound? Closer to a 42A or a 60A?

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
So quick question...the "sticky rubber" that intense says their tires are made with...what are those equivalent to in the Maxxis tire compound? Closer to a 42A or a 60A?
I'd say it's right about smack dab in the middle of those two. It's not quite as durable as the 60A or as sticky as the 42A, but pretty close.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Major grave dig. Anyone knows what's up with ITS? Have they been bought up or something, their website is down and found something that points too Vee Rubber

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
So no info if they will continue with ITS lineup? Looked at Vee rubber and some of their tires look fairly similar to ITS but I guess that could be due to being made by the same maker. I am really keen on gettin a few more pairs of ITS Edge but availabillity seems to be very poor atm

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
So no info if they will continue with ITS lineup? Looked at Vee rubber and some of their tires look fairly similar to ITS but I guess that could be due to being made by the same maker. I am really keen on gettin a few more pairs of ITS Edge but availabillity seems to be very poor atm
VSI who owned ITS along with Intense BMX, SpeedCo, and Sinz got out of the BMX and tire business. They sold all the designs to VEE who was making the tires for them. VEE is slowly pushing out the ITS designs on the MTB side, they're been pushing the BMX side more where ITS has a better rep. ITS is gone though, so anything out there is NOS.