Quantcast

Intense morals; allegedly

Sabo

Chimp
Mar 11, 2018
Just a thought. Maybe there is a company who has fired most of their employees, some of which have worked over 10 years at the company;allegedly. To support some kids in their early 20’s racing a few world cups in a sad attempt to save their company from a XX frame manufacturer;allegedly. Why from a XX frame manufacturer? Because maybe they got the frames on consignment, gave the frames/bike to shops on consignment and now have unsold frames and money owed to XX; allegedly Maybe they decided to move to the direct sales model thus removing the need to most of their employees; allegedly.

Maybe this mass firing happened within hours of the launch of a new bike; allegedly

IDK in the end if true we might see a old high end boutique bike company go under or just a realization direct sales is going to ultimately kill hundreds/thousands of industry jobs…. Or both; allegedly.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
He has a point though. There are quite some indications that this is true. Industry insider?

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
From what I hear, the 15 limited edition M29 FROs they're selling will be so expensive they will singlehandedly save the company.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You mean the new bike, the "Sniper"? It's getting a lot of hype over on the beer site. So they fired off all their employees at the same time and went direct sales? Interesting.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
From what I hear, Intense is a business that has been struggling to break into the mainstream for years, and has in fact been losing market share as consumer demand shifted to a new type of frame material their employees did not have the skills or resources to craft in a cost effective manner. I heard that having large ambitions and struggling to achieve them for years can make a person even more driven to accomplish them.

I heard they had to shift gears and start optimizing themselves for the new realities of the bike business as they looked at the success that brands like YT and Canyon have achieved. People are frugal with their own money, and when given the opportunity they'll buy the least expensive thing they can buy without a drop in quality. When you start getting intense demands for such cost reduction, you look at your entire business model from your production line to your sales, and sometimes you have to make some hard decisions.

Allegedly.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
When you start getting intense demands for such cost reduction, you look at your entire business model from your production line to your sales, and sometimes you have to make some hard decisions.
Too bad they gave the most unique selling point that they had going for them away so easily: Made in 'Murica!
Companies like Nicolai and Liteville prove that you can be competitive with aluminum bikes. If Intense had added a "custom, hand crafted by Jeff Steber" line of bikes they would have their own unique niche that not many can occupy. But I guess outsourcing to China is more profitable for the lizards.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Jeff Steber probably wants to make money and see some gains from his hard work, instead of just making frames out of his moms basement for the rest of his life to appease that one customer that only cares about the "Made in 'Murica!" sticker.

It's cool that you'd be willing to buy a hand crafted aluminum frame that said "Made in 'Murica!" But not many other people wanted to when they could get an equally high (or higher) quality frame from a big bike company that had superior materials and better support and weighed a pound (or two or three) less.

Their sales obviously didn't reflect your belief that "made in America" was what made them special. They experimented with a carbon enduro bike, and then immediately replaced their entire line with carbon. Turns out that when outsourcing can lead to greater market efficiencies that the end consumer can benefit and appreciate from (higher quality plus lower price), customers are generally pretty content.

We live in a global economy now. If you want job security, its probably beneficial to pay attention to industry trends and know when its time to climb aboard a new ship, or improve your skillset so that you can be useful when your current job changes course and takes a new direction.

I'm all about Intense's new business model. Quality was pretty hit and miss when they were made in America, but I've only heard good things about their new carbon bikes, which apparently aren't plagued with misalignment issues. If it makes them some money too, even better. People deserve to make some money when they produce a cool product.

Allegedly.
now you've DEFINITELY said too much

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
eh, it's not about being more profitable, but sustaining profitability while remaining competitive. allegedly.
No, if you see how big custom/handmade/boutique is at the moment they could very well sustain the company with that. However they wouldn't grow and raise their market value so that they can cash in when some big investment fond will pick them up. Wait for it, the announcement will come soon.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No, if you see how big custom/handmade/boutique is at the moment they could very well sustain the company with that. However they wouldn't grow and raise their market value so that they can cash in when some big investment fond will pick them up. Wait for it, the announcement will come soon.
allegedly.

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
Too bad they gave the most unique selling point that they had going for them away so easily: Made in 'Murica!
Whenever I hear "Made in America" all I think is not that good quality for a premium price.
I think most Europeans think the same way. I know all my friends think that way and 2 of my closest friends are American. Of course there are exceptions but still.

When I think quality I think Germany, Swiss and England...
Sorry.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Whenever I hear "Made in America" all I think is not that good quality for a premium price.
I think most Europeans think the same way. I know all my friends think that way and 2 of my closest friends are American. Of course there are exceptions but still.

Sorry.
Only because American cars. Other stuff made in murica is pretty decent.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Quality was never what I was thinking when I pulled the levers on my hope brakes. I assume the guys at Hope were Catholics, they encouraged a lot of "pull and pray".

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

Sorry.
While I obviously cannot speak for Europeans, but as a Murican, I can say what I and many of my compatriots think of various imported products -

* Zee Germans: Audi and Mercedes vehicles with quality issues that would make mid-90s Hyundai owners feel pretty good about their cars...but at least theres Cube bikes, which as we know is the very definition of quality!

* Swiss: Scott bikes! Those things never break all the time, and they had some great ideas about which shocks to use...Genius even.

* England: Landrovers - the most elegant, if expensive, raging bonfire starter kit ever. But hey, they do have Orange bikes, so at least there's that.

Point being, shit products can come from anywhere. Quite frankly, I haven't thought of Intense as a truly "American" bike company ever since they started making carbon bikes and moving production to Asia, no different than Specialized, Santa Cruz or Trek (NTTAWWT). When I think American bike company, I think Guerrilla Gravity, which to be fair probably has a tiny (if any) presence in Europe.