Quantcast

Intense morals; allegedly

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Whenever I hear "Made in America" all I think is not that good quality for a premium price.
I think most Europeans think the same way. I know all my friends think that way and 2 of my closest friends are American. Of course there are exceptions but still.

When I think quality I think Germany, Swiss and England...
Sorry.
England?! Seriously?!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think Intense's problem is not being an American brand, but not being American enough. Instead of models like the Uzzi and Carbine they should have models named the AR-15 and the Kindergarten-Kill-Korner.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think Intense's problem is not being an American brand, but not being American enough. Instead of models like the Uzzi and Carbine they should have models named the AR-15 and the Kindergarten-Kill-Korner.
And the "GAU-8" cross-bike, the follow-on to the Uzi, the "Mac-10", the "Claymore" DJ hardtail, you know, because killing stuff is cool!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Whenever I hear "Made in America" all I think is not that good quality for a premium price.
I think most Europeans think the same way. I know all my friends think that way and 2 of my closest friends are American. Of course there are exceptions but still.

When I think quality I think Germany, Swiss and England...
Sorry.
I am not saying products not made in the US are of bad quality. I just liked the approach that from design to manufacturing to finishing the product everything is under one roof or fairly "local". Same goes for Nicolai, Foes or GG. It makes me want to spend my money more than with someone sending CAD-files to Asia and getting fully assembled bikes back. And lets face it: bikes are luxury items and here you can make a difference with your buying decisions. So if you want a good selection of bikes and manufacturers and not another "looks like a Session" bike by a company that doesn't give a sh!t if they sell you a carbon EndurBro bike or an E-Bike as long as they make their shareholders happy, then it is time to buy accordingly. If you purely shop by price point than Canyon, YT, Commencal and Radon would be the only bikes you see on the trails.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I'm jealous... We don't make anything in Canada. We give away our natural resources to someone (like Murica) so they can make something good that we have to buy back at a crazy price.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I'm jealous... We don't make anything in Canada. We give away our natural resources to someone (like Murica) so they can make something good that we have to buy back at a crazy price.
Sounds like somebody gave you a bad deal, may i suggest some tariffs? You'll have a prospering manufacturing industry in no time, always works #MACAGA

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
They certainly could offer a lower price product if they just stopped being so damn meticulous about quality.

Arregedry.
Yeah. If only they dropped their proprietary alignment technology alowing the rear wheel to track at a different path than you front wheel so you are never both wheels in the same rut. It must be really expensive to achieve that.

Allegendary

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
oh god i'm still in tears over here
I think he'd really be suprised what would happen if you don't control the factories closely. I remember having to ride for 3 days on stem proto they insisted was strong enough for DH. 5mm bolts everywhere, 109g with bolts and same design as a 165g stem. Stiff as a noodle.

I'm pretty sure they return with something it would simply be painted as a different model, the tire would hit the seattube and the suspension would get more play than an evil revolt frame used for 3 years as a sledgehammer. You would probably get some nice geo updates too and if you were lucky it may go the right way and Chris Porter might endorse your company. And if you are unhappy a lady working for the intermediary company between you and the factory will slap the factory owner with a newspaper.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think he'd really be suprised what would happen if you don't control the factories closely. I remember having to ride for 3 days on stem proto they insisted was strong enough for DH. 5mm bolts everywhere, 109g with bolts and same design as a 165g stem. Stiff as a noodle.

I'm pretty sure they return with something it would simply be painted as a different model, the tire would hit the seattube and the suspension would get more play than an evil revolt frame used for 3 years as a sledgehammer. You would probably get some nice geo updates too and if you were lucky it may go the right way and Chris Porter might endorse your company. And if you are unhappy a lady working for the intermediary company between you and the factory will slap the factory owner with a newspaper.
that's why it's so funny. ASPAC mnfg you basically have to hold their hand start to finish. bike companies that use contract manufacturing there have people on the ground overseas (some even full time) to ensure design criteria and CTQs are met.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
that's why it's so funny. ASPAC mnfg you basically have to hold their hand start to finish. bike companies that use contract manufacturing there have people on the ground overseas (some even full time) to ensure design criteria and CTQs are met.
You are taking a polemic rant way too serious. ;)
I am fully aware of this, however, this makes me question even more why you would do this as a company.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fun fact: you can find things made in Canada at the dollar store. The one place where you think things come by the millions via containers from Asia.

Anywhere else, not so much..

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah. They are just not used to the concept of build quality and craftsmanship even though Taiwan has heavy Japanese influences. Hell even if you have people on the ground massive screwups happen.

On the other hand somehow catalog frames have decent quality in recent years which is really damn surprising.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'd rather have 951 with 20% of travel unusable and 2 wheel tracking + that sexy shorter warranty because racing
The sizing spectrum was great though. Something for every body shape and size! Don't fit a medium? Just try another medium until you find one that fits.

(no joke - we put two medium M3 frames side by side and they were different).