Quantcast

Intense morals; allegedly

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I had a Yeti 575 that didn't have a single measurement within .5" of what was advertised for any size. I had to get rid of it because it was .75" shorter than I expected it to be. As I understood it they were at list consistent in how wrong they were. The geometry guide was just more of an approximation.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I had a Yeti 575 that didn't have a single measurement within .5" of what was advertised for any size. I had to get rid of it because it was .75" shorter than I expected it to be. As I understood it they were at list consistent in how wrong they were. The geometry guide was just more of an approximation.
You sure they didn't just send you the wrong size? :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You sure they didn't just send you the wrong size? :rofl:
I can assure you I checked for that.

The head and seat tubes were slightly longer than the advertised length for a medium. The top tube was significantly shorter than advertised for a medium.

It is like they used all the right parts for a medium but just used a size small TT.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I can assure you I checked for that.

The head and seat tubes were slightly longer than the advertised length for a medium. The top tube was significantly shorter than advertised for a medium.

It is like they used all the right parts for a medium but just used a size small TT.
this guy fired soon thereafter

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
(no joke - we put two medium M3 frames side by side and they were different).
You do realize that the frame geometry and some specs got updated over the years, right? So if you had frames from two different model years the geometry is different. There e.g. are M3s with 73 mm BB and newer ones with 82 mm. Further, there were team frames of the M3 floating around which combined the seat tube length of a medium with the reach of a large (also some Socoms with this). Also, there were a couple of M3 frames with 1.5 HT around, mainly build for the team riders but also for testing the Travis SC fork.

This conversation is interesting in several dimensions. In April of 2015 my Heckler got stolen. After kicking around various possible replacements with a bunch of people here, I was down to a couple of candidates and finally settled on a Tracer, which I bought at the end of May from a semi-local (Stowe) bike shop, in part because of the discussion here and in part because a wrench I have known for years worked at the shop and I trusted him.

At no time was country of manufacture part of my decision making, and I never picked up on the fact that their model names were related to firearms. I have beat the snot out of the bike now for three years, and except for a tendency to eat linkage bearings (and of the bikes I have owned perhaps only the Heckler didn't do that).

I have no opinion on the sales model absent feedback from bike shops as to how well the deal works out for them.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
You do realize that the frame geometry and some specs got updated over the years, right?
Same year frames, both brand new.

My medium M3 had the headtube length listed on the Intense website for the Large frame as well. I literally rode that bike one day and swapped it for a Sunday.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 5.07.17 PM.png

Had this former Manitou test bike. Some guy in Bay Area bought it and ended up flipping it a year or so later. I should have kept it the frame was straight so....

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
View attachment 128157

Had this former Manitou test bike. Some guy in Bay Area bought it and ended up flipping it a year or so later. I should have kept it the frame was straight so....
I want this frame. If anyone knows someone who wants to sell, let me know. Don't care if straight or not, because freedom to run a 1.5 headset!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
They'll be re-hiring those people they allegra let go once the sales orders start pouring in for da Rasta mon!

Maybe they'll even throw in a free pair of GM Impact VXi's

Hopefully a circa 2000 Kona Stinky won't call and ask for its colorway back...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
They'll be re-hiring those people they allegra let go once the sales orders start pouring in for da Rasta mon!

Maybe they'll even throw in a free pair of GM Impact VXi's

Hopefully a circa 2000 Kona Stinky won't call and ask for its colorway back...

Needs some Kooka cranks

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Too bad they gave the most unique selling point that they had going for them away so easily: Made in 'Murica!
Companies like Nicolai and Liteville prove that you can be competitive with aluminum bikes. If Intense had added a "custom, hand crafted by Jeff Steber" line of bikes they would have their own unique niche that not many can occupy. But I guess outsourcing to China is more profitable for the lizards.
but few people believe you can succeed in the market without carbon. I get beat up about it all the time.

I had approached Jeff about making my alu bikes in his factory. He had just sold his heat treat equipment, which the state of Cali was making him remove anyway. And the rest of his alu production equipment as well.

That's part of the problem. We're almost not allowed to make stuff in 'murica.