Quantcast

Interesting Chronology of the Iraq Situation

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Thanks for posting this. I wonder how long before the gulf war, the planning for the gulf war started? Did Kuwait raise their oil prices, etc, to provoke the invasion that we would later fend off?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by patconnole
Thanks for posting this. I wonder how long before the gulf war, the planning for the gulf war started? Did Kuwait raise their oil prices, etc, to provoke the invasion that we would later fend off?
Come on Pat, you gotta be kidding me.

The US has war plans for practically everything that you can think of and has had most of them for a very long time. They are constantly being updated by threat level or amount of change. Not planning for contingencies, especially in the Middle East, would be irresponsible.

I'm sure that Kuwait wanted to provoke an invasion. You know what I bet all of the Iraqi claims of hostile incursions by the Kuwaiti military are all true (one of their claime triggers for the invasion of Kuwait).

Strange how Saudi Arabia was able to contain itself from invading Kuwait for the same reason.

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by DRB
Come on Pat, you gotta be kidding me.

The US has war plans for practically everything that you can think of and has had most of them for a very long time. They are constantly being updated by threat level or amount of change. Not planning for contingencies, especially in the Middle East, would be irresponsible.

I'm sure that Kuwait wanted to provoke an invasion. You know what I bet all of the Iraqi claims of hostile incursions by the Kuwaiti military are all true (one of their claime triggers for the invasion of Kuwait).

Strange how Saudi Arabia was able to contain itself from invading Kuwait for the same reason.

Sheesh, gimme the benefit of the doubt, man! I wasn't talking about "contingencies", I was talking about active planning to ensure some sort of Iraqi agression incident.

agreed on the rest, but what do we know....?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by patconnole
Sheesh, gimme the benefit of the doubt, man! I wasn't talking about "contingencies", I was talking about active planning to ensure some sort of Iraqi agression incident.

agreed on the rest, but what do we know....?
You're right I should have given you the benefit of the doubt.

BUT do you really think that even if (and that is about as gigantic an if as I can imply) Kuwait was looking to provoke Iraq, that an invasion was the intended end result? OPEC nations consistently go against the party line on prices and production for a variety of reasons. Typically they are looking to illicit some sort of concession on other members' part. I can say that the end result is not invasion.