Quantcast

Introducing PerformX

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

Ryan Kuhn and Todd Schumlick have been training DH and moto racers for years; this season, they started their own team, with the goal of building the DH race scene in Canada to a World Cup level.
---

Words by Ryan Kuhn
Photos by Chris Van Luven

New on the mountain bike scene, PeformX Downhill Team has its sights set on elevating Canadian talent to World Cup level.

For 2010, the team has taken BC Jr. Expert rider Remi Gauvin under its wing. To date, Remi has won the first five of five races, including Sea Otter and the first Pro GRT race in Port Angeles, Washington. His stellar success is turning heads around the world, and many are asking, who is PerformX?

Based out of Pemberton, British Columbia, PerformX is owned by renowned athlete trainer Todd Schumlick. For the past 12 years Todd has trained some of the top motocross athletes, and for the past couple years, Canada’s top World Cup rider Steve Smith.

Partnering with Todd is Ryan Kuhn, co-manager and coach for PerformX Downhill. Ryan has been involved in many aspects of mountain biking as a racer, race organizer and trail advocate for more than a decade. He is also a professional journalist with extensive experience in communications and marketing, complimenting Todd’s expertise and passion.

“Ryan and I met at Crankworx and agreed there needed to be a racer development program with the focus seen in other sports such as motocross,” says Todd. “Canada, and British Columbia in particular, has a unique problem – with so much amazing riding and a world renowned freeride scene, there hasn’t been the focus to train and be mentally and physically prepared to compete at the world level.”

Todd and Ryan began talking to promising junior DH racers across Canada in the fall of 2009, which lead them to Remi Gauvin. Remi, who is from Vancouver Island, BC, embodies the characteristics Todd and Ryan were looking for – focus, commitment and oozing natural talent. It was then Remi began training with Todd in preparation for 2010.

“Todd has a unique approach to training and it’s paying off,” says Remi. “Knowing I’ve put in all the hard work allows me to trust my ability and strength, and focus on winning races. Sea Otter is a pedally course and I’ve always considered myself more of a technical rider, but I smashed it on my Evil Revolt, and am happy with the results…also, getting in some riding with Steve (Smith) is building my speed and confidence.”

PerformX’s focus has attracted generous support from premiere brands in the industry, including Evil Bikes, Troy Lee Designs, Spank Industries, SRAM, Oakley and recently Elka Suspension.

“The Evil Revolt and Faction bikes we’ve put together are works of art,” says Ryan. “Remi couldn’t be happier with his set up and, with the support of PerformX, he’s 100 per cent focused on his training and winning races.”

PerformX Downhill Team will be attending the US Open, Canada Cup races, Crankworx, World Championships and other regional races. PerformX is on the lookout for junior talent that demonstrates the commitment and passion required for success at the World Cup level. Please feel free to get in contact with PerformX Downhill Team at 604.935.9484, or email todd@performxracing.com and ryan@performxracing.com. Also feel free to stop by the PerformX Sprinter van and pits at any attending races.

UNtil the new website is up, see www.performxracing.com for info on the team. Also be sure to check out their Facebook page.

Attachments