Quantcast

iphone 4 is on order...but iphone 5 will be available soon?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
As my phone is paid for by my employer, I have to get it locally. And since I work in a crummy little town, fancy things like iphones need to be ordered.

So since my blackberry 9000 is showing its age...battery doesn't really hold a charge anymore, I'm getting an iphone 4.

But now I'm reading that the iphone 5 is imminent. Maybe I should wait? New OS and an overall tougher phone (physically)...so they say...

(And I am not going for a Droid or Galaxy mainly because of they enormous number of apps for kids with autism.)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If they go ahead with their usual yearly release, it's likely to be a minor upgrade (e.g. 3G -> 3GS) and operating system improvements will roll down to the iPhone 4 anyway.

If I were buying it, I'd probably be tempted to go ahead but with a 1-year contract. That way, you pay a little more for the phone, but after a year you can upgrade if you want to.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The article is completely speculation, though, and it was drafted last year. I wouldn't bank on anything said there.

We can probably bank on it having more memory and a faster processor. Everything else is a guess.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
from what ive heard from my old distributor is that it purportedly will support LTE 4G since they just bought Flo TV's 4G spectrum last month.
Verizon is already getting the revised Iphone 4 but dont expect to see ATT with that version anytime soon.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I highly doubt the new iPhone will support LTE.

Apple is not an early adopter. The original iPhone was released at a time that the 3G spectrum was pretty adopted and they still waited on it.

ATT hasn't even deployed their LTE network yet.

There's a stronger possibility that the new iPhone will support the pseudo-"4G" that AT&T is touting now (i.e. not really 4G, it's HSDPA+)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ATT hasn't even deployed their LTE network yet.

There's a stronger possibility that the new iPhone will support the pseudo-"4G" that AT&T is touting now (i.e. not really 4G, it's HSDPA+)
isnt it already in place b/c of Flo TV? or did they just buy the rights to the spectrum?

i didnt believe the distributor either, but they seem to do a ridiculous amount of business with apple and all their accessories, but i know apple has always been tight lipped about their products....unless someone leaves a phone in a bar.

they could very well call their faster 3G, "4G" like T-Mobile does

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
They already are calling their HSDPA+ "4G" in their commercials. I suspect any "4G" we see will be of that variety, not LTE.