Quantcast

Iran Tests Missile Capable of Hitting Israel

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hey, you're the one saying that it "means everything." I was pointing out how absurd of a statement that was...so yeah, we agree...most absurd post of the weekend.

MD

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
LordOpie said:
Actually, that means everything since the Brits and French had beaten the Ottoman empire... to the victor goes the spoils and all that. So, they had the right to do what they wanted to with that land.

That still doesn't answer my question about the Palestinians getting land allocated to them. I honestly did not know that happened and am curious about the details.
Opie, you post intelligent and reasonable posts on most subjects apart from anything to do with Israel & Palestine. When those subjects come up you seem blinkered and you also claim ignorance of many of the issues from which the situation arose. Are you pretending not to know stuff or is it real? I don't claim to know everything about the Palestinian issue (contrary to how some see me, no doubt) but that land was allocated to a Palestinian state is pretty fundamental to the situation.

I've not read the book Mike D refers to but I may well look it up when I have finished the current mountain to books I'm reading, maybe you should too? It's a better way of learning about the past than this place...

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
LordOpie said:
Britain controls jack and sh:t and jack left town. Or hadn't you noticed. Sorry fluff :D
That's fine with me my friend, my imperial tendencies left town many years ago.

When people criticise Churchill as the man who lost us the Empire I am amused as I think giving the colonies independence was a good thing, whether he chose to or not. There are better things to criticise Churchill over, but an interesting life nevertheless.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
LordOpie said:
Frankly, why the heck don't non-jews just leave israel? It's tiny compared to the ME and arab-muslims don't need that little land.

:nope: that is superlatively fvcked up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lordopie, sometimes try to put yourself on both sides of the pond.

in that mindset you could also argue that the entire nation of israel should leave the middle east, after all they are very few, and tiny in the middle of all those arabs. which equally doesnt make any sense at all.

so why in your mind would it be right for a few gentiles to leave israel, but not for israel to leave the ME???? i understand you are a man of deep faith, but c*mon, dont let it blind you that much.

i´m all for a peaceful solution. like splitting the land the invaded (no geneva convention un-ethical technicalities here on the term "invaded") or something like that.

i would like to be all for israel like you, but I just cannot. just like with creationism, and jonah and the whale.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ALEXIS_DH said:
in that mindset you could also argue that the entire nation of israel should leave the middle east, after all they are very few, and tiny in the middle of all those arabs. which equally doesnt make any sense at all.
We already covered that in this thread.

ALEXIS_DH said:
i understand you are a man of deep faith...

that's good stuff. Let's just say that god and I stay out of each other's way.

If I was of deep faith, I'd have no problem with Jews leaving Israel -- assuming there was someplace for them to settle down. IF god really did promise that land to the jews, then we'll have it when he wants us to.

Y'all are arguing with me cuz I'm a jew and preventing you from thinking about this logically. Fvck who's "right" and do what's sane... the ME has a lot of room for the Palestinian's to settle in and stop dying.

IF the world came up with the resources to resettle Israel in Kansas, that'd be fine by me. But that's far harder to do than to truck a million people 20 miles away.

There will not be a peaceful solution to letting palestinians live in Israel. If you agree with that, then you must agree to the next best solution... resettling the palestinian people -- relatively speaking -- next door. Anything short of that is tantamount to supporting the death and chaos that's going on.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
LordOpie said:
We already covered that in this thread.

that's good stuff. Let's just say that god and I stay out of each other's way.

If I was of deep faith, I'd have no problem with Jews leaving Israel -- assuming there was someplace for them to settle down. IF god really did promise that land to the jews, then we'll have it when he wants us to.

Y'all are arguing with me cuz I'm a jew and preventing you from thinking about this logically. Fvck who's "right" and do what's sane... the ME has a lot of room for the Palestinian's to settle in and stop dying.

IF the world came up with the resources to resettle Israel in Kansas, that'd be fine by me. But that's far harder to do than to truck a million people 20 miles away.

There will not be a peaceful solution to letting palestinians live in Israel. If you agree with that, then you must agree to the next best solution... resettling the palestinian people -- relatively speaking -- next door. Anything short of that is tantamount to supporting the death and chaos that's going on.

well yeah, thats the practical answer. but israel is a problem too complex for practical answers.

any time you get "occupied" or whatever the geneva conventions defines it, the best way to avoid bloodshed is to walk away. that is the ideal way to minimize loses in a confict.

sure i algo agree on that, but this is more a problem of 2 tectonic plates pushing each other, instead of 2 cold minds playing chess.

if you play chess, you can play a gambit. try that in a more complex situation like a divorce.