mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
yos1s25 said:
what do you think?
the link look the same.... no?
what's make the sunday better?
sunday is better because the company is still in business and anything made by dw has automatic cred and razzle-dazzle!

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
that last generation HD actually had a great susp feel but the geo was wack. 13"BB with a 7" fork.
Just goes to show Balfa had no clue what they were doing.
It seems that DW has manipulated the double linkage so it works with little to no pedal feedback so it feels good on the pedals and accelerates well too.
the first Barfa 2 step had about the worst effective pivot possible and an awesome falling rate as a bonus!

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I dont no dave wigel said patients r pending...In all seriousness, do a search, you will find plenty. Please check your spelling before you press Submit Reply, it will save us all from headache and not make you look stupid.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
HRDTLBRO said:
I dont no dave wigel said patients r pending...In all seriousness, do a search, you will find plenty. Please check your spelling before you press Submit Reply, it will save us all from headache and not make you look stupid.
I won't dignify your post by pointing out your grammatical and spelling mistakes but I will tell you to lay off the guy. He's obviously a foreign speaker and just getting on the forum and asking questions in a language foreign to him is commendable.

The Balfa 2 step is a nice bike, except for the annoyances that Scott mentioned, the sunday on the other hand is the latest and greatest that only a handfull have ridden and nobody owns as of yet. You can either buy based on a gut feeling or based on actual product reviews. Personally I'd rank the sunday higher than the 2 step, but that's because I don't always mind being the test pilot for new products when I feel that there is a certain degree of technical merit to a design.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
leprechaun said:
that last generation HD actually had a great susp feel but the geo was wack. 13"BB with a 7" fork.
Just goes to show Balfa had no clue what they were doing.
It seems that DW has manipulated the double linkage so it works with little to no pedal feedback so it feels good on the pedals and accelerates well too.
the first Barfa 2 step had about the worst effective pivot possible and an awesome falling rate as a bonus!
:s That's harsh! As a 2Step rider, I can confirm that the bike could see some improvement...but it is far from being a garbage bike as you make it sound like. I still prefer my 2Step over a lot of designs available. I'll still be happy to ride it for 2005, but I'll also be happy to move on to a more recent and better design (Uzzi?) within a year from now.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Kornphlake said:
I won't dignify your post by pointing out your grammatical and spelling mistakes but I will tell you to lay off the guy. He's obviously a foreign speaker and just getting on the forum and asking questions in a language foreign to him is commendable.

The Balfa 2 step is a nice bike, except for the annoyances that Scott mentioned, the sunday on the other hand is the latest and greatest that only a handfull have ridden and nobody owns as of yet. You can either buy based on a gut feeling or based on actual product reviews. Personally I'd rank the sunday higher than the 2 step, but that's because I don't always mind being the test pilot for new products when I feel that there is a certain degree of technical merit to a design.
The fact that he's foreign was unknown to me, and I apologize. Did Balfa not get re-purchased by another company, or did Procycle just call it quits? The 2 step was lovely, especially in white... :love:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
FlipSide said:
:s That's harsh! As a 2Step rider, I can confirm that the bike could see some improvement...but it is far from being a garbage bike as you make it sound like. I still prefer my 2Step over a lot of designs available. I'll still be happy to ride it for 2005, but I'll also be happy to move on to a more recent and better design (Uzzi?) within a year from now.
I think Leprechaun is James at Go-Ride right?

I remember reading a really positive review of a 2Step FR on their site about a year or a year and a half ago - maybe that was Scott's review.

Different strokes for different folks right!?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
HRDTLBRO said:
The fact that he's foreign was unknown to me, and I apologize. Did Balfa not get re-purchased by another company? The 2 step was lovely, especially in white... :love:
Procycle bought them, some drama happened i guess, and now everythings up in the air. I think my LBS still has a 2StepDH in stock

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Sunday is better b/c although it isn't ROOTBEER, it is Sprite-green.

The two bikes are NOTHING alike.
The don't even look alike. :confused:

Oh wait... the 2-step...
Well it looks kinda similar, but the Sunday is a full on DH bike with race geometry, and the Balfa was more "trail".

Also, as was stated, I don't think that you will get any support if you get a balfa.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Procycle still has replacement parts and such for Balfa bikes - so you can get some support - not much from your LBS, but there are people who can help.

Heck they even have some 2004 frames left in their inventory as well.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Didn't the 2-Step frame have more travel than originally measured by Balfa? So you're cranks would everything on the way down...that might of been the 2-StepDH, I don't remember.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I wouldn't pick the Sunday to compare to any of the 2 Step line. The IH 7 Point would be a much better comparison to the 2 Steps. To make things even more difficult there were about 6 different versions of the 2 Step and the quality of the suspension varied GREATLY.

My experience with the 2 Step line is:

1. Owned a '02 2 Step - This bike ripped corners like nothing else. Why? Falling rate suspension and a forward wheel path. When you entered a corner the suspension nearly bottomed out and the wheel base shrank. The result was handling much like a pro slalom ski. This bike also had the worst case of pedal bob I have ever experienced from a 6" bike. Why? Falling rate suspension and a forward wheel path. Every standing pedal stroke nearly bottom the bike out.

2. Spent a day riding a '03 2 Step DH - This bike pedaled so much better than the '03 version you wouldn't believe they were made by the same company. What was different. Very vertical wheel path and a rising rate suspension. It cornered nearly as well because the BB was about 13.0" for a 7" travel bike and took bumps better than the forward wheel path of the '03 model. This bike would have been a huge hit if the BB hadn't been so low that it could only be pedaled on flat ground without hitting your pedals.

3. I never rode the '04 2 Step HD.

How do they compare to the 7 Point I have been testing? The 7 Point seems to have an even more vertical wheel path than the 2 Step DH and an even more progressive linkage shock linkage. The result is that it pedals unbelievably well in any chainring, but seems really hard to bottom out. I need to play with the shock settings and spring rates more to dial it in to exactly my liking. Oh, and the BB is around 14" so you can actually pedal it off-road.

PS: I'm Scott @ Go-ride

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Sorry about being harsh on the 2 step.I rarely post something negative without explaining,so here goes.
If you like your bike then that's great.
Scott's info may help you understand how the bike works.
Scott's review on go-ride.com is a little misleading in some ways to me.Most of the time he rode that bike he had the seat down 1/2 way and we were doing freeride type trails where we were hopping logs,descending and general fooling around.When he tried to use the bike for a general trail ride he was sorely dissapointed.
1 if the seat is raised up enough to climb the saddle is nearly above the rear axle due to the extremely laid back seat angle.It took a really long post to achieve this and couldn't be lowered enough for the way down.
2 he mentioned the poor pedaling and why.
3 (personal issue) they said it was a 6" bike but it had 130mm of travel which is only 5".
4 The tiny downtube broke if a dual crown fork was used and they had to issue a memo to dealers not to set em up that way.
5 Scott used a Stratos Helix shock that had an inherant rising rate to make it feel good.
He killed the over 30 expert class at Booleg on it when his DH bike was down so the bike is not horrable but for a 5" bike there is a lot left to be desired if being used for it's intended purpose.
Krispy

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
leprechaun said:
He killed the over 30 expert class at Booleg on it when his DH bike was down so the bike is not horrable but for a 5" bike there is a lot left to be desired if being used for it's intended purpose.
Krispy
Ok then...I agree! I use my 2Step for technical DH (low speed) 99% of the time and I like it that way. If it was my trailbike...I wouldn't like it that much.