Quantcast

Is a TT bike good for Tri Races?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I found a neat deal on an old Gt Vengeance. I love old GTs, and the price is nice. But can a TT bike be used for regular roading or Triathlon races? I don't want to be way uncomfortable, but this is a neat deal.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I thought a Tri bike was a TT bike that is slightly more comfortable geometry and possibly better accomodations for water bottles??

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
sweet frame, i love GT. i miss her so.

keep in mind that's got 650cc wheels not standard road 700cc that might be the real difference between TT and TRI but i dont know which one gets which.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
As the LBS owner has told me(he's a triathlete and roadie), the tri bikes will have a steeper seat angle to put you more forward. The TT bike, although steeper than a road bike, is supposed to be a less radical position change from a road bike to the TT bike. On a tri bike, you will use a slightly different muscle group set. With the TT bike, you can still do most of your training on the road bike, and it won't be a huge difference swtiching for the handful of TT's that one would do.

Also, some tri bikes are using compact gearing, and a lot have the water bottles mounted on the back of the saddle.