Is American beer any good?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Pretty sure we all knew this already..
:cheers:

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/424975

Just as wines from Napa Valley, Sonoma County and Oregon are giving bordeaux, burgundy and barolo a run for their money, breweries from California to New York are proving they can make some of the best suds in the world. And they're not just copies of the old European originals. While American craft brewers have proven themselves no slouches at styles such as pilsners, pale ales and stouts, they've also created some of their own, often bold styles.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Just as wines from Napa Valley, Sonoma County and Oregon are giving bordeaux, burgundy and barolo a run for their money, breweries from California to New York are proving they can make some of the best suds in the world.
hmm, I'm thinking the best American beers are most definitely not from CA or NY.

Kudos to CA for taking on France in wine and bolstering the marketplace with White Zinfandel.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hmm, I'm thinking the best American beers are most definitely not from CA or NY.
breweries from California to New York
i took this to mean a geographical reference, and not specifically targeting only those two states.

that said, ommegang is a fantastic NY brewery, and brooklyn is no slouch. california has a bunch of great stuff (lagunitas, bear republic and stone come to mind immediately).

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Mmmmm...Stone Brewery.

Some other noteables...

Dogfishhead brewery - Delaware.
Flying Dog - Colorado
Highland - Asheville NC.
Legend - Richmond, VA

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
i took this to mean a geographical reference, and not specifically targeting only those two states.

that said, ommegang is a fantastic NY brewery, and brooklyn is no slouch. california has a bunch of great stuff (lagunitas, bear republic and stone come to mind immediately).
mmmmm......hennepin......

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Take it from a german, american craft brews rock! While the quality of the average joe beer over here is a lot better, you guys have a lot more variety and quality at the top end of the spectrum.
Cheers

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Deschutes Inversion IPA
Great Divide Titan IPA
Great Divide Hercules DIPA
Sierra Nevada
Stone IPA
Stone Ruination
Lagunitas IPA
Breckenridge 471 IPA
Il Vicino Wet Mt IPA
Bull-n-Bush Man Beer
Golden City IPA
:D
Life is subjective... I don't like any beers from Great Divide or Breck.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The two that placed are Sunshine Pils and Troegenator Double Bock

I'm not sure what it's sold at by the 6-pack outside of a bar. PA is one of those effed up case-only states. You can get a 6 at a bar but you pay the bar per-bottle price. Not sure if you'll be at Monkeyfest this year, but I plan on having some of everything we make.
It could happen. I've only been once but free premium beer is a big draw. Probably not doing a three week MTB tour - don't have enough vacation for that.