Quantcast

Is Anyone Still Biking This Winter?

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Or does everybody give up biking for skiing or boarding? I don't give up biking but I've been spending way too much time on the trainer and I miss getting out and riding a REAL bike.

So recently, some friends and myself have started doing this:

Anyone else braving the out-of-control kids on scooters, skateboards, rollerblades and bikes to try and have fun and learn some new skills?

I'm sure I look like an dork with my XC helmet and duds.

This is my first time on a BMX bike and it's weird but fun and the bike is so maneuverable. However, I'm getting my Transition Trail-or-Park hardtail ready to be a Skatebarn bike and will try that next time.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
That's awesome Linda!! I've often thought about BMX-ing! Where is that? I'd love to go with you some time! We are spending a ton of time skiing, but I'm still have the riding bug!!! It never goes away! Hope you are doing well!!!

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
That's awesome Linda!! I've often thought about BMX-ing! Where is that? I'd love to go with you some time! We are spending a ton of time skiing, but I'm still have the riding bug!!! It never goes away! Hope you are doing well!!!
Hi April! I've been there two times. We went last Monday. It's in Renton, see AJ's cross-posting about the Skatebarn in the PNW forum. If you have a suitable bike, it would be great if you could come out. I'm like the only girl on the whole floor! I think the bike nights are Monday and Thursday only. I'll let ya know when we go next, I'm sure sometime next week. Mondays are good as it's not as crowded.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Awesome!! Renton's an easy place for me to go--what's a suitable bike? Would my Heckler work? 5" travel XC bike that locks out. I'd consider buying a BMX bike--aren't they only a few hundred bucks? My guy friends are always telling me that's the best way to improve my riding skills. Well, that and MXing, but that's way too expensive!

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I've been going to spin class in hopes that it will make me faster at cross country racing.

I had a great ride at Santa Cruz last week, but now I'm looking at a week full of rain and more spin class. sigh.

I bought a FMS cruiser a couple of months ago, but I've yet to go ride it at the bmx track.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Awesome!! Renton's an easy place for me to go--what's a suitable bike? Would my Heckler work? 5" travel XC bike that locks out. I'd consider buying a BMX bike--aren't they only a few hundred bucks? My guy friends are always telling me that's the best way to improve my riding skills. Well, that and MXing, but that's way too expensive!
A hardtail or BMX. But if you want to use a FS it's best to put on some different tires. I got the Kenda K Rad's which were recommended. Yeah BMX bikes only cost $200-$300 for a decent one. I bet my friend Dennis would let you try his BMX I've been riding since I'll have my hardtail going next week.

Yes, I'm psyched to learn some better skills! It's also a terrific workout - I feel like I'm sprinting all the time.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I still go out. Actually, we're planning a nice ride tomorrow while the ground's frozen :shocked: It's supposed to be in the 20s so I shouldn't freeze to death...especially since I am going with a fast group of guys and that means no breaks for me.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
It counts only insofar as keeping you in shape. Brrtzzt - it does not count as real biking!
LOL, Boy do I know that it doesn't count as real biking. But it sure makes a difference the first time I hit 1/2 mile in the spring time.

I make sure my shoes have mud on them once in a while.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
The whether here has been weird -- 37 degrees back to 80 degrees, etc. Going to try to plan a trail ride for tomorrow morning. Hubby picked up a new single speed that I am actually itching to try out.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Well we've had rain all weekend and more rain predicted this week. Oh excuse me, some is showers, some is rain. :banghead:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm still riding outside - sometimes in snow even! I definitely taper off though and skate ski instead.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
mainly i'm snowboarding... but this saturday it was such crap snow that we drove down to the valley to ride bikes. it's fun... i just hate having to drive distances to ride my bike. snowboarding is a much cheaper activity for me.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
mainly i'm snowboarding... but this saturday it was such crap snow that we drove down to the valley to ride bikes. it's fun... i just hate having to drive distances to ride my bike. snowboarding is a much cheaper activity for me.
That's funny. It's the opposite for us. Here biking is way cheap, just a short drive to many trails. But skiing, we have to drive 2 hours to get to the resort, the resort just raised their rates to over $50, and it's PNW concrete, er snow!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I have 2 season passes. They cost me $300 each. And snowboard gear is wayyyyyy cheap compared to the price of bikes and bike parts. I live 1 mile away from Heavenly.... So way cheaper to hitch a ride up to the mountain (free shuttle too), then to drive 45 minutes to go ride my bike.

I ride the trainer during the week and snowboard every Saturday and Sunday. But I'm already bored of riding the trainer :(

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
the benefit of the trainer is that i have it set up in the computer room and i can watch bike vids while i spin. for me, it's better motivation that watching other people work out.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
the benefit of the trainer is that i have it set up in the computer room and i can watch bike vids while i spin. for me, it's better motivation that watching other people work out.
My rollers are set up in the basement and I watch Bike DVDs sometimes (I tend to lean with the helmet cam shots and drive off the rollers) or the news or whatever mindless drivel is on while I am riding.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I might try the Bike vid thing as we have several and that might make my times better if my adrenalin goes up.

We're lucky to have fancy trainers and you can vary the programs you run or race others or your other times. Still, I have my iPod there and constantly replenish the songs. The TV is also there - I like watching the Food Network although that can make me weak with hunger! :disgust1:

We have the best of the trainer world and it saves time but it's just not FUN. It's at best tolerable.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
rode the trainer last night. 1/2 way through i turned to my husband and said, "i'm soooooo bored". even watching bike videos. but it's way better to have someone to spin w/. if he wasn't riding too i would have just stopped.... being competitive keeps us both spinning longer than if we were alone.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
That helps me too. I might be feeling lazy and not want to ride but then if my bf is going to ride, then I will. And if he's on when I'm riding, I keep my pace up so he doesn't pass me. So last night I might have gone at a very slooow pace but he got on a mile behind me and so I had to keep a faster pace. We sit side by side and we usually run the same 10 mile program so I can see where he's at and I'll sneak a peek so he doesn't think I'm being competitive and try to go faster himself...:huh: