Quantcast

Is going to Windrock the thing to do?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
OK I need some :monkey: advice.

A few of us from South Florida are trying to get in one last trip of the season. Originally we were going to head up to Pisgah, do some riding, then head over to Windrock for a day, then back to Pisgah for another. However due to the Hurricane damage to some trails in Pisgah and more importantly the route from Asheville to Windrock that didn't seem like a good idea. So we were thinking about just spending 2 days at Windrock. Our group consists of 4 guys, and our bikes. I would say our bikes are a good judge of our riding abilities.

Me - Heckler - medium build, XC front rim, DH back rim, 5th coil, talas Fork
Yuri - Bullit built up with a monster T
Scott - Rm7
Danny - Heckler - built up pretty heavy with SC-Shiver and DH wheelset

Now the delima....

I just got off the phone with Jaime (I think thats what his name was) at Harper's. I had called to get some hotel info. While I had him on the phone I asked him what trails would be "Heckler" friendly at Windrock. (since that is what I ride) He seemed pretty adamant that there was 1 great trail, but that was about all he had to say. Therefore I am a little concerned. I just got back from SnowShoe where I had a blast riding pretty much everything. The old Sport DH course, SUper D, Rock Garden and I cannot remember the name of the other popular trail were my favorite on the western side, the Pro DH had me walking in a few places. On the Eastern side, the A&B drop-ins had me walking but other than that I had fun (skipped a lot of the features though).

Normally I am all about hauling a$$ down the trails in Pisgah like Trace, Spencer, Kitzuma, Butter Gap, Bennet Gap, Thrift and Sycamore to name a few so I am just wondering if I am going to be getting in over my (or my bike's) head.

So for some of you that have the experience at any or all of these places, what are your thoughts?

And just to be gratuitous here are some pictures of me in the various places.
SS on my favorite rock

Down some steps at Bent Creek (I am the rider in the rear)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
If you walked part of the Snowshoe DH course, then I would say MOST of Windrock is not for you. I ride Windrock on a regular basis and while at Snowshoe I thought about running a smaller bike with less travel, but I would not consider that at Windrock.

I'll explain more.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Here's why. Windrock is not like Pisgah or Snowshoe....yet.

90% of the trails at setup to get enjoyment from full on DH bikes. The place consists of 6 DH trails that average about 5 minutes for the average expert rider. There isn't any freeride type stuff like Snowshoe and there isn't any rolling riding like at Pisgah.

Does that mean that you can't ride your bike at Windrock? Definately not. I've seen guys ride hardtails, but I've never seen anyone on a hardtail or heavy built trail bike enjoy a "trip" to Windrock. Maybe a day, but several days will abuse you and you'll start to destroy your bike.

However, we have lots of trails in the area that can make your trip worth while. We have okay urban, the 4x course, and lots of single track close by. Don't cancel your trip, but I would expand and include some other riding as well as a day at Windrock.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Agreed with profo,
I've been riding Snowshoe for years now, and love it. I thought it was quite steep, but taking my first trip to Windrock last weekend was an experience. While it has less elevation, it is quite a bit steeper and rockier than Snowshoe. The runs can be a bit longer, too. It's not a place to ride without some type of upper body armour. I'll try and post some pics of last weekend here in a minute. Windrock is sweet though, the Snakerock trail would be a blast on the heckler. :thumb:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Also, I would never recommend riding at Windrock without a full face and lots of body armor.

Check out these trails...

Haw Ridge- I would guess there is about 40+ miles of single track, but not long downhills. About 20 minutes from Windrock.

Lone Mountain- Killer XC with long downhills, but no shuttles. Single ring bikes are out here. About 20 minutes from Windrock. I would compare to some Pisgah trails like Bennett.

Bigfoot MTNx Course- About 25 minutes from Windrock. 300 yeards or berms and jumps. Lots of fun.

Knoxville Urban- about 45 minutes from Windrock. Tons of stair gaps and skinnies to ride downtown and on UT's campus.

Norris- 20+ miles of jeep roads and single track. Lots of long DH runs with shuttles. About 35 minutes from campus.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
HRDTLBRO said:
Agreed with profo,
I've been riding Snowshoe for years now, and love it. I thought it was quite steep, but taking my first trip to Windrock last weekend was an experience. While it has less elevation, it is quite a bit steeper and rockier than Snowshoe. The runs can be a bit longer, too. It's not a place to ride without some type of upper body armour. I'll try and post some pics of last weekend here in a minute. Windrock is sweet though, the Snakerock trail would be a blast on the heckler. :thumb:
We have 2500ft of evelation change which is more than the Western Terr. at Snowshoe. You just didn't find all the trails. :sneaky:

Snakerock and Windrock Jeep Trail #2 is the 10% of the trail system that would ROCK on a heckler.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Windrock has some sweet climbing! I have found the shuttle road is perfect for those casual hill repeats! But seriously, windrock has some awesome cx routes that will make you squeal like a pig thanks to the very friendly atv riders. (maybe too friendly)

The weekend weather looks awesome so come one come all, what else are you going to do!

J

JRB

spoke80 said:
squeal like a pig thanks to the very friendly atv riders. (maybe too friendly)

Is there some Deliverance schit you need to talk about???

mtbman4

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
windrock
I rode for a good 3 months at Windrock with a Stinky (6 in. front/ rear) and no pads. It was fun, and probably more of a rush than I get now. Kinda scary though. Hell, my first time down, I was on my XC hardtail with a XC skid lid. That was just dumb.
I think you could ride there, just be careful. Make sure you don't come tearing into something blind.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
profro said:
:
Snakerock and Windrock Jeep Trail #2 is the 10% of the trail system that would ROCK on a heckler.
I could spend the entire day shuttling these two trails alone, and have a blast. I don't know how much they have cleaned up at Pisgah, but it got worked by the canes. I guess it is a good time to have a hurt hand. ;)

B

bigkonarider

With those bikes-you guys will be rippin it up.
I never wear upper armor & don't crash because i just ride down at a speed a know won't impale me & it was fun..
Don't let anyone intimidate you..But take what people say with consideration!
Go check it out..!
my .02

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
Ay-ay-ay. Rob, why are you always asking about what "your bike" can handle. Give me a Heckler with my parts on it and there is no difference in what I would hit compared to my Bullit. The air fork and wimpy cranks are another story :p :D

It has been decided that we are going to Asheville this time. Next time it's WindRock for sure because I have heard nothing but good things about it. It's funny, when Rob says "steep" he means it in a bad way. :D

btw-There will be four of us up there Oct 14-18 (Thurs-Sun) shuttling everything we can. PM us if you want to join the fun. I am bringing a front derailleur instead of a chest protector ...

bmxr
Mtb_Rob_FL

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
bmxr said:
Ay-ay-ay. Rob, why are you always asking about what "your bike" can handle.
I always preface it saying my bike set-up is = to the size of testicles and skills. :devil:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
I always preface it saying my bike set-up is = to the size of testicles and skills. :devil:

i thought youd be too tall for4 a size small heckler........ :sneaky:

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
MTB_Rob_NC said:
I just got back from SnowShoe where I had a blast riding pretty much everything. The old Sport DH course, SUper D, Rock Garden and I cannot remember the name of the other popular trail were my favorite on the western side, the Pro DH had me walking in a few places. On the Eastern side, the A&B drop-ins had me walking but other than that I had fun (skipped a lot of the features though).
I think you answered your own question. If you did that much walking at Snowshoe, You'd be doing even more at Windrock. The two places arent even comparable. If you thought the drop ins were steep or tech on trail A & B at Snowshoe, some of the stuff at WR would probably make you sh** your pants.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
JeffKill said:
I think you answered your own question. If you did that much walking at Snowshoe, You'd be doing even more at Windrock. The two places arent even comparable. If you thought the drop ins were steep or tech on trail A & B at Snowshoe, some of the stuff at WR would probably make you sh** your pants.

:rolleyes: Hey NOOB, this thread is TWO years old. :clue:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
it may be.
but the same questions get asked today as they did back then. and the same answera apply.

see what i mean Headmonkey about another storm is always on the horizon in the south.

ya'll check the sticky at the top of the south page.
it's the eye of the aforementioned storm frozen in time.