Quantcast

Is Islam a religion of peace?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by N8
How about the death of 6,000,000 Jews at the hands of white, christian, Nazi's?

And don't forget several hundred Kool-Aid drinkin' fools at Jamestown.
To characterize either of these nutjobs as Christians is a disservice to real Christians everywhere.

The only way Hitler could be "considered" a Chrisitan would be because he was white and from europe (which by the way are not criteria for being a Christian).

As for Jim Jones, who in the world knows what he was believing and or smoking.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don't like Christians any more than the other religious nuts but I have to mention:

How the heck do you guys keep equating every white man with Christianity? Seriously, LOL!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by Andyman_1970
Agreed. But it's not how Christianity was: a) intended and b) how it was practiced when it was in it's infantcy (ie 1st and 2nd centuries).

The violence during say the cursades, was according to "man" wishes and not advocated in the Scriptures. I would characterize this on par with the fundamentalist Islam we see today.

The major difference is, their book advocates violence, "our" book doesn't.
1. Oh, you don't have to go as far back as the middle ages for Christian attrocities. Remember our catholic buddies the Spanish explorers to the New World? American christians we great for killing indian, negro, Jews, Irish, Italian, Mormons, etc as well.

2. The Bible is not as Peace loving as you'd like to imagine it to be.

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
well im not going to try to justify anyones actions, but I will point out there are billions of muslums who cannot get enough food to eat or clean water to drink. How would christians react if they were oppressed to this extent?

I have to agree with the Libs on this one (like I always do). Its no the religion thats evil its the people. Religion dosent kill people, people do. And when people are starving its pretty easy to get them to kill.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by ummbikes

I'm about to bust out some Old Testemant favorites...
Go ahead, they don't apply to Christians, we (Christians) are under the new covenant.

While we are on this OT stuff, read the first 5 books (Torah), and see what is says about what you are to do with the alien living amoung you. Those "aliens" would be people of a different faith. The Scriptures say the Jews were to feed them, take care of the, and treat them with respect, not kill them as the Koran teaches.

I do agree that God did tell the Israelites to kill folks at Jericho and such. However, that was only for a short time, and that is not part of the Law they were to live under.

So to compare the Koran to the OT is like comparing apples to oranges. No where in the OT is there a continual command to kill the infedel. An example, if the God of the Bible hated the "infedel" why then did He send Jonah to Ninevia?

Anyway, food for thought.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
To characterize either of these nutjobs as Christians is a disservice to real Christians everywhere.

The only way Hitler could be "considered" a Chrisitan would be because he was white and from europe (which by the way are not criteria for being a Christian).
Hitler himself may not have been a christian but PLENTY of his ilk were... The record show that the Christians in WWII era Germany were right along side the Nazis.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by derekbob
well im not going to try to justify anyones actions, but I will point out there are billions of muslums who cannot get enough food to eat or clean water to drink. How would christians react if they were oppressed to this extent?
Repressed by who? Sure say us, I'll buy that for the sake of argument - but why are they bombing the Kurds, Turks, and every other nation on Earth? They oppose US forces in Iraq so what do they do? Bomb Iraqi civilians? These people (terrorists) are only interested in getting what they want. They don't give a rats ass that their own people are starving.

Further - I can think of a lot of people much worse off - almost every nation in Africa for example - but I don't see folks from the Congo making it a campaign of World-wide terror.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by N8

2. The Bible is not as Peace loving as you'd like to imagine it to be.
Granted the OT has some crzy stuff in it, but as Christians we are not longer under the old covenant.

Have you read the New Testament? The whole story is hope and peace for EVERYONE, regardless of your ethnic background. And no this is not my imagination, it is what I have studied in depth.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Granted the OT has some crzy stuff in it, but as Christians we are not longer under the old covenant.

Have you read the New Testament? The whole story is hope and peace for EVERYONE, regardless of your ethnic background. And no this is not my imagination, it is what I have studied in depth.
I'm sorry but as a Christian you have to live by the OT as well as the NT. No picking and choosing. And if you are Mormon you can add on yet another volume.

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
Repressed by who? Sure say us, I'll buy that for the sake of argument - but why are they bombing the Kurds, Turks, and every other nation on Earth? They oppose US forces in Iraq so what do they do? Bomb Iraqi civilians? These people (terrorists) are only interested in getting what they want. They don't give a rats ass that their own people are starving.

Further - I can think of a lot of people much worse off - almost every nation in Africa for example - but I don't see folks from the Congo making it a campaign of World-wide terror.
I never said we were the ones oppressing the majority of muslums, in most cases, its other muslums. Most middle eastern countrys have a ruling aristocracy that composes less than 1% of the population but controls more than 99% of the wealth. The kicker is the ruling class blames the west for the poverty of the rest of the nation. We dont do anything to help this situation, but we didnt cause it.

And im not saying muslum terrorists are freedom fighters robbing the rich and giving to the poor. They are evil people who take advantage of the fact that everyone is desperate and starving and use them for their own means.

Im just saying that when everyone is starving, things are a little different.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by Ridemonkey

Hellooooo!!! Folks in the Congo are not as well funded however, African nations tend to keep their terrorism at home. Remember Uganda et al?

Exporting Terror takes $'s... a lot of $'s.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
You actually made the point to the post, the Koran does advocate violence against the "infedel", the Bible does not
I am told it depends on how you interpret the passage. I am told that the qoute from the passage you refer to has a "historical" prefix before it and after it. To state that it implies to just go out and kill anyone that isn't a Muslim is taking that passage out of context. Muslims have a version of the 10 commandments and one of their tennants is that it is wrong to kill unless you are protecting you home, wife, or sons (I guess in that order). My Muslim friend stated it in a rather wordy and lengthy dissertation but I am relaying what I got out of it. He was starting to get annoyed by my questioning because he knew it was in reference to this post which he feels is silly. I left it at that. I am at work by the way.....jdcamb

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by N8
Hitler himself may not have been a christian but PLENTY of his ilk were... The record show that the Christians in WWII era Germany were right along side the Nazis.
As I have stated in a previous post, read your NT. If someone who "claims" to be a Christian (I use that title very losely), and participates in those atrocities, there is a very good chance they were not truly a Christian. Issues similar to this are actually addressed in the NT. Just because you are white, of european decent, and "grew up Christian" doesn't make you a Christian, neither does visiting a church on easter and Christmas.

Unfortunatly (like many Muslims) a few mislead folks make us all look bad.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by $tinkle
please supply a similiar list of atrocities by christians in our lifetime. This would be known as a "supporting argument"
I'm sure the crusades thing is beat to death, and come on, let's not forget the protestant vs Catholic conflict that resulted in a lot of bloodshed, but I'll focus on more recent events.

I'll do a little abortion clinic talk, and mention the catholic church aka boy-pimps. No the church doesn't officially support the act of boy raping, but they turned a blind eye for decades until it became a headline. Even then they fought to keep these things private. Does one have to kill to commit an atrocity? I don't think so. Raping boys is pretty damn atrocious. How many hundred, thousands of kids were raped over the years while the catholic church just let it happen?

Abortion clinic violence- definitely christian based. Here's an article from a while back, I think a couple years. 1989-1997 abortion clinic stats here's a bunch of christian sick fvcks

Ooh, ok, now let's talk about violence against homosexuals in the name of christianity. Hell, violence and hate crimes in general in America are fueled by bible thumpers. Even the KKK uses the bible as the basis for their thinking.

Here's more:

-1992, Yahweh ben Yahweh and six leaders of his Temple of Love church in Florida were convicted of murdering 14 church defectors and other critics.

-Jonestown, 1978 more than 900 dead

Do we really have to keep going on this or have I proved my point?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
As I have stated in a previous post, read your NT. If someone who "claims" to be a Christian (I use that title very losely), and participates in those atrocities, there is a very good chance they were not truly a Christian. Issues similar to this are actually addressed in the NT. Just because you are white, of european decent, and "grew up Christian" doesn't make you a Christian, neither does visiting a church on easter and Christmas.
Ah.. but under the cool REVISED Rule of the NT, one could be a murdering Nazi, then repent, ask forgivness and still get into Heaven.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by N8
I'm sorry but as a Christian you have to live by the OT as well as the NT. No picking and choosing. And if you are Mormon you can add on yet another volume.
What???:confused:

That was the whole point of Christianity, that a person could not become "sinless" under the old Law.

And lets say (for arguemnts sake) I do have to live by the old Law in the OT. NO WHERE in the Torah Law (the Mitzvot, there are 613 of them) is a believer commanded to kill and infedel. Now God did command the Jews to kill everyone in Jericho, but I'm not taking Jericho, I'm living (for arguments sake) under the Old Law. Scripturally there is a HUGE difference there, one book is telling a story, and one book is listing the Laws to live by.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
found a few:

"Kill the disbelievers wherever we find them" (Koran 2:191)

"Ye are the best of peoples evolved for mankind." (Koran 3:110)

"The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and his messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be to be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet andgenitals cut off, or to be expelled out of the land. Such will be their humiliation in the world, and in the next world they will face an awful horror." (Koran, 5:33-34)

"Not to make friendship with Jews and Christians" (Koran 5:51)

"Remember Allah inspired the angels: I am with you. Give firmness to the believers. I will instill terror into the hearts of the unbelievers: you smite them above their necks and smite all their fingertips off of them." (Koran, 8:12)

"In order that Allah may separate the pure from the impure, put all the impure ones [all non-Muslims] one on top of another in a heap and cast them into hell. They will have been theones to have lost." (Koran, 8:37)

"If there are twenty amongst you, you will vanquish two hundred: if a hundred, you will vanquish a thousand of them [infidels]" (Koran 8:65).

Allah and his messenger announce that it is acceptable to go back on our promises (treaties) and obligations with Pagans and make war on them whenever we find ourselves strong enough to do so (Koran 9:3)

"Fight and slay the Pagans, seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem" (Koran 9:5)

Our God tells us to "fight the unbelievers" and "He will punish them by our hands, cover them with shame and help us (to victory) over them" (Koran 9:14).

"Until they pay the Jizya [a penalty tax for the non-Muslims living under Islamic rules] with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued" (Koran 9:29)

"Unless we go forth, (for Jihad) He will punish us with a grievous penalty, and put others in our place" (9:39).

"O Prophet! Make war against the unbelievers [all non-Muslims] and the hypocrites and be merciless against them. Their home is hell, an evil refuge indeed." (Koran, 9:73)

"Murder them and treat them harshly" (Koran 9:123)

"When you meet the unbelievers in jihad [holy war], chop off their heads. And when you have brought them low, bind your prisoners rigorously. Then set them free or take ransom fromthem until the war is ended." (Koran, 47:40)

"When we decide to destroy a population, we send a definite order to them who have the good things in life and yet sin. So that Allah's word is proven true against them, then we destroythem utterly." (Koran, 17:16-17)

"How many were the populations we utterly destroyed because of their sins, setting up in their place other peoples." (Koran, 21:11)

"strike off the heads of the disbelievers" (Koran 47:4)

"Seize ye him, and bind ye him, And burn ye him in the Blazing Fire. Further, make him march in a chain, whereof the length is seventy cubits! This was he that would not believe inAllah Most High. And would not encourage the feeding of the indigent! So no friend hath he here this Day. Nor hath he any food except the corruption from the washing of wounds,
Which none do eat but those in sin." (Koran 69:30-37)

I'd be interested in your proxy post after bouncing this off your co-worker. Apologies for taking away from work-time. Religion has that stigma of sucking productivity.

this site might help the cause for stemming the tide in the interim, but perhaps i'm being polyanna-ish.
I showed him this and he just stated that your silly for paraphrasing christian propaganda concerning Islam. He is aware of these passages and says they are all taken out of context. He stated that you can take many parts of the Bible and arrange them to convey a point too. He has to many deadlines to participate in this subject. I agree with him that you sound like a anti-Islam Christian War Mongering Zealot. But I don't agree with him that you actually are. I can take this any farther....sorry.....jdcamb

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by N8
I'd bet that the number of people killed in the Name of the Prince of Peace is far greater than those killed in the name of Allah.

However, I'd also say that Islam was been practiced by a people (for the most part) that have until only recently dewlt in what I'd consider a medieval society and if you look at the areas of the world today that Islam flourishes I'd think you'd find the education level, poverty level and freedom level far distant from western countries. I think the more exposer to modern western culture the less Islam will be able to bind the masses.

I tend to think of the mentality of the middle eastern brand of Islam as probably where Christianity was 300-500 years ago.
Holy ****. I completely agree with N8.

Allow me to reiterate, holy ****ing ****.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by N8
Ah.. but under the cool REVISED Rule of the NT, one could be a murdering Nazi, then repent, ask forgivness and still get into Heaven.
N8 dude, have you had a bad run in with a Christian? If so I'm sorry, you have a misunderstanding of Christianity.

A person that murders can in fact do that, it's called grace and mercy on God's part, I can't explain that. Does it make sense, nope. Does it seem "just" from our earthly point of view, nope. Why does God allow little kids to get cancer and die, I have no idea. The God of the Bible does however have a plan an a purpose for these things, most of which I do not understand.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by jdcamb
I showed him this and he just stated that your silly for paraphrasing christian propaganda concerning Islam. He is aware of these passages and says they are all taken out of context. He stated that you can take many parts of the Bible and arrange them to convey a point too. He has to many deadlines to participate in this subject. I agree with him that you sound like a anti-Islam Christian War Mongering Zealot. But I don't agree with him that you actually are. I can take this any farther....sorry.....jdcamb
tell your friend that he's doing a disservice to his people by not taking the opportunity to educate another person.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
N8 dude, have you had a bad run in with a Christian? If so I'm sorry, you have a misunderstanding of Christianity.
And YOU have a misunderstanding of Islam. You keep claiming that Christians commiting atrocities aren't TRUE Christians. Has it crossed your mind that Muslims commiting atrocities aren't TRUE Muslims?

Christ's words were all peace and love, but not all of his followers' were. I also suggest you do a search on this site for Christians justifying a righteous war... manimal's posts in particular stick out in my mind.

Religious law, unfortunately, is open to interpretation, and people, unfortunately, are fallible.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I have a problem with the paradox, that's all. Not all Christians are bad folk.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by ohio
And YOU have a misunderstanding of Islam. You keep claiming that Christians commiting atrocities aren't TRUE Christians. Has it crossed your mind that Muslims commiting atrocities aren't TRUE Muslims?

Christ's words were all peace and love, but not all of his followers' were. I also suggest you do a search on this site for Christians justifying a righteous war... manimal's posts in particular stick out in my mind.

Religious law, unfortunately, is open to interpretation, and people, unfortunately, are fallible.
Exactly!

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by El Jefe
I'm sure the crusades thing is beat to death, and come on, let's not forget the protestant vs Catholic conflict that resulted in a lot of bloodshed, but I'll focus on more recent events.

I'll do a little abortion clinic talk, and mention the catholic church aka boy-pimps. No the church doesn't officially support the act of boy raping, but they turned a blind eye for decades until it became a headline. Even then they fought to keep these things private. Does one have to kill to commit an atrocity? I don't think so. Raping boys is pretty damn atrocious. How many hundred, thousands of kids were raped over the years while the catholic church just let it happen?

Abortion clinic violence- definitely christian based. Here's an article from a while back, I think a couple years. 1989-1997 abortion clinic stats here's a bunch of christian sick fvcks

Ooh, ok, now let's talk about violence against homosexuals in the name of christianity. Hell, violence and hate crimes in general in America are fueled by bible thumpers. Even the KKK uses the bible as the basis for their thinking.
I'm going to go out on a limb here, anyone who is a member (and truly believes the KKK stuff) and is a Christian has a serious problem. According to the Bible you CANNOT be both. Read 1 John chapter 4, if anyone says they love God but hate their brother that person is a liar, and he DOES NOT LOVE GOD. That is pretty serious stuff that most folks who "claim" to be a Christian ignore. (I would say your "normal" muslim has the same problem with nutjob muslims).

The NT write Paul gives a list of characteristics of what a Christian life "looks like" (love, joy, peace, kindness, goodness, patience, faithfulness, self control). If someone "claims" to be a Christian and does not demonstrate these, its time to check if in fact you really are a Christian.

See also my post on abortion:

(Rant) I guess my biggest problem with the whole abortion “issue” is not the women who want abortions, or the Dr’s who perform them (take note I am “Pro life”), my biggest problem is with the stereotypical Christian “Pro Lifer” who stands in front of an abortion clinic and yells “Baby Killer” at those women going in there. How many of those “Pro Lifer’s” stand there and hold up a sign that says “We’ll adopt your baby” or “We love you, you have other options, we’ll take care of you”…………..not many that I have seen. When Jesus (sorry I had to bring the whole God thing up) ministered to the sinners (prostitutes, tax collectors, those at the margins of society) He did so by ministering to their needs, not yelling at them telling them they were going to hell. As Christians we are specifically called to minister to these people in love, not yelling. Anyway my whole point is, that if my wife would have had support either at home or at church, the outcome would have most likely been different. It’s sad that because of the stance (more like how it is talked about) of the modern Christian church on some issues (abortion, pornography, adultery) that people are “shamed” into silence when they encounter these problems. The Scriptures are crystal clear that as a community we are to encourage, support and bear each others burdens. But because people who struggle with these things are “shamed” into silence (this is so “bad” if anyone found out, they would not think I’m “super Christian” that I act every week), they hide these things, instead of sharing them so others can help. Sorry about the rant…………..it’s just been bugging me for a while, I hope all this made sense.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Originally posted by N8
How about the death of 6,000,000 Jews at the hands of white, christian, Nazi's?
wrong, hitler was an athiest. I don't care what religious school he may have attended, he made no believable professions of any faith. Curious how in Mein Kampf he wrote
"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."
and also found in Mein Kampf
"To whom should propaganda be addressed? … It must be addressed always and exclusively to the masses… The function of propaganda does not lie in the scientific training of the individual, but in calling the masses' attention to certain facts, processes, necessities, etc., whose significance is thus for the first time placed within their field of vision. The whole art consists in doing this so skilfully that everyone will be convinced that the fact is real, the process necessary, the necessity correct, etc. But since propaganda is not and cannot be the necessity in itself … its effect for the most part must be aimed at the emotions and only to a very limited degree at the so-called intellect… it's soundness is to be measured exclusively by its effective result". (Main Kampf, Vol 1, Ch 6 and Ch 12)"
Originally posted by N8
And don't forget several hundred Kool-Aid drinkin' fools at Jamestown.
ok, i got my scorecard out. Looks like we have one, and that's because we're including a cult from a distorted view of Christianity - hardly a fundamentalist. You can lump branch dividians in there, too, even if janet (damnit!) snuffed 'em.

anybody know what's happening in the Sudan right now in the name of peace?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
During this discussion it dawned on me (when I was noting the difference between OT commands, and stories) that the same could be true with Muslims, I humbly admit. Until I know more, and know for sure that those passages posted from the Koran are in fact a continuous command, I can't say for sure their exact contextual meaning.

I agree with you Ohio (this I think it the second time that has happened), those Muslims could in fact not be true Muslims.

I totally agree, and as a student of the Bible you have to look at the historical, and cultural context of the text to truly be able to grasp the intentions and meaning of a certian passage.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I am told it depends on how you interpret the passage. I am told that the qoute from the passage you refer to has a "historical" prefix before it and after it. To state that it implies to just go out and kill anyone that isn't a Muslim is taking that passage out of context. Muslims have a version of the 10 commandments and one of their tennants is that it is wrong to kill unless you are protecting you home, wife, or sons (I guess in that order). My Muslim friend stated it in a rather wordy and lengthy dissertation but I am relaying what I got out of it. He was starting to get annoyed by my questioning because he knew it was in reference to this post which he feels is silly. I left it at that. I am at work by the way.....jdcamb
the interpreting has already been done, for that is how i was able to read the passages. While we're on the topic of passages, just what context can any of those verses (which were quoted btw) be seen as holy, upright, & otherwise appropriate? If they're in historical context, and not preached today, then fine. I would like to believe that. It is unfortunate that one of the tenants you touched on about defending the family has been taken as a call to arms. This is the point of my thread/inquiry: is this a religion of peace? It looks like there is a splinter group by reading the headlines, but i see no news of mainstream islam to absolutely divorce itself from these fullfillers of "prophecy". I completely understand your co-worker's irritation - i believe i would be too if i were already sold-out to islam & had to explain those verses. I'm not looking to be converted, just persuaded that the avg muslim denounces these actions absolutely, and does more than lip-service.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Originally posted by LordOpie
tell your friend that he's doing a disservice to his people by not taking the opportunity to educate another person.
He said it is sinful to proslytise (sp?). And that what he believes is between him and God. And as a American Muslim he would rather be left alone at work about his faith. I know this, everytime a Suicide bomber kills a bunch of innocents in Isreal he is "asked" a lot of questions he doesn't have a answers for (he calls them Homicide bombers). I feel for him as many of these question are rather pointed and biased. You can understand that? I have a good dialogue with him so... Like I do he also fears Christians as they have targeted us here at work for some kind of conversion agenda....that and we are at work.....jdcamb

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Remember boys and girls, all that brother and sister and father fvcking in the OT, all the wars, the genocide, the slavery, none of that stuff applies anymore.

UNLESS you're talking about those disqusting immoral reprehensible in the eyes of God faggots! They need to burn in hell, preferably after we kill them, it says so in Leviticus.

Allright, I'm being sarcastic there. But ummbikes is right, as long as we're posting objectionable stuff from the Koran, I think we should bust out some old time favorites from the Good Book. A little selective (and even not so selective) quotation and I can make anyone who says they believe in the Bible as the unerring word of God look like a lunatic.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
the interpreting has already been done, for that is how i was able to read the passages. While we're on the topic of passages, just what context can any of those verses (which were quoted btw) be seen as holy, upright, & otherwise appropriate? If they're in historical context, and not preached today, then fine. I would like to believe that. It is unfortunate that one of the tenants you touched on about defending the family has been taken as a call to arms. This is the point of my thread/inquiry: is this a religion of peace? It looks like there is a splinter group by reading the headlines, but i see no news of mainstream islam to absolutely divorce itself from these fullfillers of "prophecy". I completely understand your co-worker's irritation - i believe i would be too if i was already sold-out to islam & had to explain those verses. I'm not looking to be converted, just persuaded that the avg muslim denounces these actions absolutely, and does more than lip-service.
He stated that he cannot denounce what he does not understand?? I have no idea what he meant by that. I suspect he may be being dismissive. Sorry about that.....jdcamb

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Like I do he also fears Christians as they have targeted us here at work for some kind of conversion agenda....that and we are at work.....jdcamb
That's too bad, because that's not how Jesus "converted" (I hate that word) people. He loved them unconditionally and addressed the needs they had when they came to Him. Not once in the NT did Jesus stand on the street corner and scream at people, or hand our Gospel tracts. He loved people regardless of their background, which is what those Christians you work with "should" be doing.

Anyway, I hate to hear that, we are not all that way.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal

The NT write Paul gives a list of characteristics of what a Christian life "looks like" (love, joy, peace, kindness, goodness, patience, faithfulness, self control). If someone "claims" to be a Christian and does not demonstrate these, its time to check if in fact you really are a Christian.

Even christians don't call each other christian in some cases if they're of a different faith than another. Mormons, catholics, baptists, man, there are so many different interpretations of the bible and resulting sects of christianity that I don't think anyone can say what traits a true christian holds other than believing in Jesus as a resurrected being who has made atonement for sins, etc. etc.. Other than that, it's mostly up to interpretation. Yeah, every faith will argue they have the true and correct christian faith. But church doctrine changes with the times, so what was supposedly true and correct 100 years ago, is no longer true and correct today. Funny how a religion started a couple thousand years ago could splinter and change so much, yet still be claiming to have the word of "God."

Food for thought.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
He said it is sinful to proslytise (sp?).
So your friend believes that he is unable to discuss the matter without attempting to convert someone?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by Silver
Remember boys and girls, all that brother and sister and father fvcking in the OT, all the wars, the genocide, the slavery, none of that stuff applies anymore.
Silver, I sense some anger here, yikes. Check out my other posts on this thread regarding this OT stuff. There is a huge difference between the stories that are told in the OT and the commands that were given to God's people.

It seems like several of you guys have had some bad encounters with Christians. That's too bad, some of us are pretty cool, "normal" folks.

UNLESS you're talking about those disqusting immoral reprehensible in the eyes of God faggots! They need to burn in hell, preferably after we kill them, it says so in Leviticus.
What's a "God faggot?" BTW, homosexuality is no worse in the sin department according to the Bible than lying, cheating, stealing, etc.

A little selective (and even not so selective) quotation and I can make anyone who says they believe in the Bible as the unerring word of God look like a lunatic.
Sure if you take it out of the orginal context. I personally believe that as orginally transcribed it is the inspired Word of God. Last time I checked I'm not mentally ill.:D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
He stated that he cannot denounce what he does not understand?? I have no idea what he meant by that. I suspect he may be being dismissive. Sorry about that.....jdcamb
he might be being dismissive or he might be being reasonable... there's lots I don't understand about my religion and when someone asks me and I don't know, i tell 'em to talk to someone more educated than me instead of trying to have a frustrating discussion.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
What's a "God faggot?" BTW, homosexuality is no worse in the sin department according to the Bible than lying, cheating, stealing, etc.
I was going for the ranting style of post I've seen in other places. Read it and pretend you are frothing at the mouth angry, and you'll get what I was going for :)

I'm just saying that to judge a religion on the basis of a bunch of quotes from a holy book is not the smartest thing to do. Paul wrote some pretty wacky stuff in the NT, remember. It ain't all Jesus and the sermon on the mount (although I wish to God it had been left at that.)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I'm just saying that to judge a religion on the basis of a bunch of quotes from a holy book is not the smartest thing to do. Paul wrote some pretty wacky stuff in the NT, remember. It ain't all Jesus and the sermon on the mount (although I wish to God it had been left at that.)
What he said.....jdcamb