Quantcast

Is it becoming "uncool" to wear protection?

swaussie

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
Maybe its my imagination but I seem to have noticed more and more riders wearing not much protection of any sort this year. Seems the new look is a helmet and maybe some knee pads - especially amongst those riders who obviously are very experienced.

But wouldnt it be true that the more experience you have, the faster you go and the more control you have but if things go wrong - well the harder the fall will be?

I am an older rider so I am more into self preservation than the younger gen, but is the lack of protection because its not needed, for comfort (body armour does get hot) or does wearing protection look uncool?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I don't care what is cool if I can still ride when the cool kids are sidelined with their injuries. ;)

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
it's not a new trend, and yes it's happening

and i don't think the reason is being cool it's because people feel that the available protective gear does not help all that much in regards of actually preventing injuries and at the same time is rather annoying and hindering in regards of comfort and freedom of movement on the bike.

i am older too and i do wear my pads but at the same time more often then not they did not work properly in a crash, and are annoying to wear because they are hot, slide around etc.

still i am REALLY looking for a ultralightweight back protector should be compatible with a leatt some non slidy ellbow and kneepads that work with my kneebrace...

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
It seems like these days it's jeans and a Leatt. I saw a kid wearing a Leatt with an XC-lid. Like that's gonna work...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
i am older too and i do wear my pads but at the same time more often then not they did not work properly in a crash, and are annoying to wear because they are hot, slide around etc.
Dainese Saftey Jacket and Viking pants (which they unfortunately don't make anymore). -> problem solved. They don't restrict movement much, don't slide around and don't move when you crash! My only complaints are that they are somewhat hot and I haven't found a way to combine the jacket with a Leatt.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Sure glad all the scars on my body armor and knee//shins aren't on me. Would've tallied up to quite some time off the bike. I like being able to lay it down and slide on my knees, or bump into a tree if I'm a bit of line. I'll take the exoskeleton thanks. If I was racing for money/living I'd maybe ditch it.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Sure glad all the scars on my body armor and knee//shins aren't on me. Would've tallied up to quite some time off the bike. I like being able to lay it down and slide on my knees, or bump into a tree if I'm a bit of line. I'll take the exoskeleton thanks. If I was racing for money/living I'd maybe ditch it.
I think the pros don't mind some gnarly bruises and maybe even some stitches. What really messes up peoples seasons are joint injuries which standard armor does nothing to prevent.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
A full face helmet and gloves is as crazy as I go on the protection front, I have missed loads of bike time over the last three years from crashes. However having extra protection would have lightend my wallet and kept me from getting a couple of internal infections, still in my mind protection is a waste of time*

Except kneepads, they are a good idea but they feel like crap so I don't wear them.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's always been uncool.

I wear a full jacket and knee/shin armor for real DH or park riding. It's helps me keep riding despite frequent crashes, tree/rock contact, etc., and in the nasty stuff I feel vulnerable without it. But it didn't help when I broke my wrist.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
It's certainly an odd trend.

Abrasions can cause one to miss quite a bit of riding time, and can also be very painful when severe.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I used to wear a dainese safety jacket. I found I crashed more because it hindered my range of motion. Most of my riding buddies have ditched there armor for the same reasons.

the key for me is to not ride tired. That's when I have big wrecks.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
For people in my area, the protection has just changed. Everyone used to wear for dh a full face, gloves, arm, and knee guard...now it seems like everyone has on a full face gloves, leatt, and knee. That's what i wear also, and it's super comfortable and imo should be a decent amt of protection. I've always had a problem wearing a spine guard. So bulky that i can barely move

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I used to wear a dainese safety jacket. I found I crashed more because it hindered my range of motion. Most of my riding buddies have ditched there armor for the same reasons.
Yeah, I hear that all the time. Funnily also from guys that had bad crashes because their baggy shorts got caught on the shift levers. However, I still wait for them to start wearing tight lycra shorts. ;)

Interestingly, also nobody is restricted in their riding by wearing a GoPro on their chest or helmet. :rolleyes:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA

the key for me is to not ride tired. That's when I have big wrecks.
Exactly what he said.

Lately though I've been considering elbow pads just to cut down on the amount of impressive scabs I get on my forearms. Only problem is 80% of those happen on XC rides :P

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Yeah, I hear that all the time. Funnily also from guys that had bad crashes because their baggy shorts got caught on the shift levers. However, I still wait for them to start wearing tight lycra shorts. ;)
I actually switched to pants. Added bonus is it keeps the knee pads in place during a huge wreck. Downside is the pajama jokes.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I used to wear upper body armour, I couldn't move naturally and it made me crash more, and didn't protect enough when I did.
Now I wear an A-star brace, dot helmet, gloves and knee pads. I don't even like shin protection, but I do prefer to wear pants when the weather is cool enough.

SCARY

Not long enough
Wearing protection dosent let you feeeeel the mtn(if you know what I mean)

It's all good,you can trust me baby.I know when I'm gonna "wreck"

I'll just "pull off to the side"(if you know what I mean)

Cmon giiirl,you know you wanna "ride"

Oooooh,yeah.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I used to wear a full Dainese gladiator jacket, knee/shin guards, full face and knuckled gloves.

I finally stopped wearing the torso guard and the long knee guards. I have to wear elbow pads just to preserve the number of tattoos I have.

This year I finally wanted something over my spine, so I went back to Dainese and the Rhyolite torso guard. It does the job pretty well. Landed funny on my spine at N*, and it worked like a champ. Wrapped up and gave some love to a tree at Sunrise, and again I walked away pretty intact. And I suspect, though I can't confirm as I don't wear one, that it'd be Leatt compliant.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
My 661 Phantom suit is very phantom-like, I barely know that it's there. Besides being a little warm, I don't see why you wouldn't wear upper body armor. It has kept me riding on a number of occasions where I would have otherwise at least ended my weekend early.

What's really uncool is sitting at home with an injury all summer because you weren't wearing the protective gear that you already own.

if you don't wear protection, please have the experience/skills to back that up. i can understand why advanced/expert riders wear minimalistic protection; hopefully, its because they just don't crash as often as lesser skilled riders.

what annoys me, because it becomes a liability, are self-affirmed inexperienced or plain hack riders wearing minimalistic protection because it's the "cool" thing to do. i find that to be pretty short-sighted and selfish.

i wear (from head to toe)...
TLD D3
Leatt Brace
Leatt Adventure Vest Lite
Elbow guards
POC padded shorts
Knee guards

i like riding in the cooler months, because i can wear moto pajamas which add another layer of abrasion protection.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
For people in my area, the protection has just changed. Everyone used to wear for dh a full face, gloves, arm, and knee guard...now it seems like everyone has on a full face gloves, leatt, and knee. That's what i wear also, and it's super comfortable and imo should be a decent amt of protection. I've always had a problem wearing a spine guard. So bulky that i can barely move
This is what I wear, just a full face, gloves, Leatt and knee. Really the only reason I wear the Leatt is the wife. She wanted me to get one, so I did. I have tried wearing upper armor and hated it. I usually don't crash all that much, and if I do, it's because I'm getting worn out, so it's quittin' time. I'll wear elbow protection when I hit Bootleg, which has some gnarly rocks. I just bought knee pads, which I haven't worn in probably the last two years. Some dudes seem to like the storm trooper setup...but I hate it. Too hot and restrictive.

On a side note...IMO armor isn't going to protect you from anything besides superficial scrapes and bruises. You biff it hard enough...plastic and foam ain't keeping you out of the ER.

Last edited:

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Regarding body armor:

The POC suit is quite comfy. I think the key aspects are A) flexible foam-like material and B) no incorporated elbow pads. Those two features combine to allow this suit (and the Rhynolite) to preserve one's full range of motion, more or less unimpeded. I also have the Gladiator jacket, and the difference in comfort and wearability is huge; I stopped wearing my Gladiator for comfort reasons, but now love to wear the POC. It's quite a bit less hot as well.

If I want to wear elbows (and I often do), I'll wear those separately.

Regarding Leatt compatibility:

I know that the POC vest is compatible with the Leatt (wear it every day). It seems that my Leatt is compatible with my Gladiator as well, thought I have only tried it on inside my house, haven't ridden with this combination.

I suspect that overall, compatibility issues are more or less a myth; Any torso armor should be able to function with any brace, I suspect. My preferred fit is to put the Leatt under the armor - both in the front and back. Works perfectly fine with my POC, is quite comfortable, and requires no adjustment to my Leatt. Some armor may require you to fit the Leatt OVER your armor. This would require adjustment to the Leatt.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
On a side note...IMO armor isn't going to protect you from anything besides superficial scrapes and bruises. You biff it hard enough...plastic and foam ain't keeping you out of the ER.
That's super true...There always seems to be a random scrape/cut in the oddest place. I think the main reason i'm wearing less armor is the style of bike i'm riding is changing also. I've found myself more and more on 5in travel bikes that i can do everything on that i used to on my old dh bikes. I pedal more and want to still be comfortable while pedaling

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
You biff it hard enough...plastic and foam ain't keeping you out of the ER.
Then why even wear a helmet?[/QUOTE]

A helmet keeps you from being a vegetable. Elbow pads keep you from getting boo boos. To each their own. I never said I cared what anyone else wants to wear. ****, I don't care if you don't want to wear a helmet.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I still ride plenty of DH...but wtf does a chestplate actually do? I have crashed and landed on my chest plenty of times. I get a few scrapes. Sure as hell not worth a couple hundred dollars and wearing a hot vest all the time. But like I said, to each their own.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Then why even wear a helmet?
A helmet keeps you from being a vegetable. Elbow pads keep you from getting boo boos. To each their own. I never said I cared what anyone else wants to wear. ****, I don't care if you don't want to wear a helmet.[/QUOTE]

You're right. To each their own. But I know the elbow pads on my jacket have saved me from a broken elbow on at least one occasion and kept a friend from being impaled in the center of his chest.

Maybe I should be wearing a Leatt.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Im gonna sound like a moron here but. Full sleeve and leg tattos. All I wear is 661 knee pads, gloves and an omega brace.

While at whistler I did one day (the hottest) with zero pads on. It felt so liberating and scary at the same time.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I could see guys with tattoos caring about scrapes. I'm no tattoo expert, but it would seem that road rash doesn't help them. My point is, I dont think it has anything to do with 'cool'. At least for anyone over 18. I'm 31 and couldn't care less what people think about what I wear. BMX guys still not wearin helmets...well, they just aren't that bright in the first place.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Every broken bone I've had I got while wearing full protection (i.e. 661, Dainese, etc.). I eventually stopped wearing it when I got good enough that I wasn't crashing but rarely. Furthermore its so hot and humid in the South during the summer.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Knee pads, neck brace, helmet and gloves for me. I always wear TLD or Fox shorts, they don't tear and keep the gravel out of my ass.

I can ride any trail; the likelihood of me crashing depends on how fast I try and ride it or how tired I am. I'm old enough to know when I need to knock it back and play it safe.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Knee pads, neck brace, helmet and gloves for me. I always wear TLD or Fox shorts, they don't tear and keep the gravel out of my ass.

I can ride any trail; the likelihood of me crashing depends on how fast I try and ride it or how tired I am. I'm old enough to know when I need to knock it back and play it safe.

Nailed it. I know my limits.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
A helmet keeps you from being a vegetable. Elbow pads keep you from getting boo boos. To each their own. I never said I cared what anyone else wants to wear. ****, I don't care if you don't want to wear a helmet.

:stupid:

Helmet and 661 Evo knee pads for me. After my 3rd concussion a few years ago I toned waaaaay down on how I ride DH, and eventually (at this point) stopped altogether. However, if I do DH all I really care to protect is my brain. The kneepads are nice because they're very unobtrusive and slamming kneecaps on rocks is never fun. Pedals to the shins, trees to the shoulders and catapulting onto your back all suck, but you can shake that off in a run.

I could see guys with tattoos caring about scrapes. I'm no tattoo expert, but it would seem that road rash doesn't help them.
I have a sleeve, and there's a few small places where gashes and scrapes caused it to lose a bit of color, but I really could care less. In fact, I can tell you exactly where, when and how each of the 2-3 spots happened. It's like an interactive tattoo!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Knee pads, back protector and MX helmet for me.

For some stupid silly terrains I will pull out the elbow pads, but mostly they just worsen my arm pump.

Chest protectors don't do anything and shoulder pads tend to make your injuries worse. Not sold on neck braces either.

Everybody riding DH should put some training into crashing properly and doing your workout and warm up. Thats how you really protect yourself from injuries.