Quantcast

Is it becoming "uncool" to wear protection?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The big thing that pisses me off is that people are fine to call me an idiot for choosing not to wear armor yet they act like I have summoned Satan if I dare call "last run".
Double standards FTW!

I have seen a guy stuck on a tree branch because of his armor, it took a second person to help rip the branch out of his armour. I really think a good skills course would be more beneficial to some newer riders than 3kg of armour, speed and a lack of coordination never ends well no matter how much armor you have.

I know I come across as negative but I would never tell someone they are a pussy for wearing armour, I know it reduces injuries and people have houses to pay off so it really is the smart option, but I still like riding without it.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
With all this hate for armor I don't think I will ever be able to take a thread like: 'Help, rider xyz had a bad crash and can't pay the medical bills. Please donate!' serious again.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
I definitely get what everyone is saying about how important it is to know your limit, quit when you are tired, and just be RAD in general to prevent from getting injured.

Perhaps it's just me but sometimes I just crash. I don't see it coming and before I know it I'm on the ground with no chance to react or manipulate how I fall. That's when I'm thankful I'm wearing my suit.

Most importantly for me, it gives me the confidence that I don't otherwise have. To yell, "Yo check me out! I'm going to rip the sh!t out of this!" before I hit something big, so that everyone sees me do it.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
honestly i understand both reasonings, and thanks for the tips regarding the lightweight protection stuff.
if i can ride bikes again i will look into these

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
With all this hate for armor I don't think I will ever be able to take a thread like: 'Help, rider xyz had a bad crash and can't pay the medical bills. Please donate!' serious again.
I suppose if I had to pay medical bills I might wear more armor but free medical is one thing we still sort of have in Australia, I've had to pay for Phsio's, MRI and a full body bone scan was 2/3 Gov subsidized but everything else has been free.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I mostly agree with Norbar. I picked up a TLD torso/shoulder 7850 this summer, and I'm surprised at how light / comfortable it is under my jersey...yet protected my shoulder when I tagged a tree. I forget I'm wearing it, so the 'interferes with range of motion' argument doesn't apply.

Also like that it gives some protection over organs area without the discomfort of a kidney belt, which I hate wearing.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
crashing with a leatt > crashign without 1. went OTB with mine first day out, havent stopped using it since. incredible invention

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's interesting to see all the different opinions. And I admit it's a little odd/inconsistent to wear a full face, full jacket, and leg armor to go relatively slow through the rocks at Northstar, but just a trail lid and gloves to go Mach 12 on Third Divide or other fast trails in the Sierras, where the chances of major damage are arguably higher.

I guess the thing that bugs me a little is how people try to justify the decision to not wear armor. I'd rather hear someone own it and just say "I don't like it and it's my choice" instead of trying to argue that not only will it not help, it's actually bad.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I will never say it's bad. If you want to wear it, by all means. I hate it and choose not to wear it for multiple reasons.

I think the guys that feel they need it get more 'mental' protection by way of confidence than physical protection....but that's my opinion.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
it makes me slow, sluggish, and sloppy, and i crash alot more with it on then without. I am open to the idea of wearing it if i eventually find some that doesn't make me feel that way though.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I suppose if I had to pay medical bills I might wear more armor but free medical is one thing we still sort of have in Australia, I've had to pay for Phsio's, MRI and a full body bone scan was 2/3 Gov subsidized but everything else has been free.
That is even worse! So you don't mind taking the risk of getting injured because someone else is paying the bills? If YOU decide not to wear armor YOU should be the one paying the medical bills in full, period!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That is even worse! So you don't mind taking the risk of getting injured because someone else is paying the bills? If YOU decide not to wear armor YOU should be the one paying the medical bills in full, period!

Yeah I see no real problem with it, from what I have seen most people are in the hospital due to self abuse be it excessive bad food or alcohol or just getting injured doing dumb things. You take free health cover for granted if you've had it your whole life, Australians pay a LOT of tax and it's nice to get something back.

So, do the people that fall off ladders have to pay too if they aren't in full body protection and a Leatt?

The first I broke my collarbone(26) was the first time I'd been to hospital since I'd been born and I found out my parents were so slack they hadn't named me when they left the hospital. I've had a quite few X-Rays, an ultrasound, the partially subsidised Bone scan and that's about it, it's not like I'm sending the country broke, that's the job of the stupid cow that runs the country.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I dont use national parks, public schools, or a broad swathe of tax payer funded services, why should I pay for your entertainment or childrens education?

When will people recognize that a community is not a bunch of individuals with only their own interests and concerns to consider, but a community where you are responsible for cooperating and collaborating EVEN WHEN YOU DONT GET SOMETHING OUT OF EACH INDIVIDUAL THING!

Broaden your perspective.

On a more germane note, as far as *I'm* concerned, I wear elbow/knee pads and gloves but rarely body armor or Leatt -- the injuries that have slowed me down are the kind that body armor aint doing jack for. They stop nagging and small injuries, but they dont keep you from breaking at all.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah I see no real problem with it, from what I have seen most people are in the hospital due to self abuse be it excessive bad food or alcohol or just getting injured doing dumb things. You take free health cover for granted if you've had it your whole life, Australians pay a LOT of tax and it's nice to get something back.
I have nothing against free health care but I hope that people use it responsible. Your argument is just weird: because medical is free I don't mind taking the risk of getting hurt. :confused:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
When will people recognize that a community is not a bunch of individuals with only their own interests and concerns to consider, but a community where you are responsible for cooperating and collaborating EVEN WHEN YOU DONT GET SOMETHING OUT OF EACH INDIVIDUAL THING!
Broaden your perspective.
You mentioned the right word: responsibility. Because insurance is a collaborative thing you hope that everybody uses it responsible and not playing jacka$$ all the time. The system only works because a lot of people pay in and only few need it. Shift that ratio and the system breaks down. You want to enjoy free or affordable health care in the future? Do your part!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
True, I am weird and when I rip my knee off because I'm not wearing pads you can all have a chuckle, I won't mind.

I have owned a few hundred dollars worth of armour and none has seen a second ride, last useless purchase was a set of Alpinestars kneepads, pushed up the hill with them on then took them off never to be used again.

Our current health care is pretty good and we also have a deal with New Zealand that we get free health care in either country and the NZ health care is better than ours. Pretty keen to get over there for some riding but I would take out insurance just in case.

Triple8Sol

Monkey
May 4, 2010
Seattle, WA
It's true, these days it's basically a bmx style lid or full face, paired with some knee pads. Quite a few of my friends are riding this way now, and we're well past our youthful years lol. Personally I still rock more armor than that every day, whether shuttling or at the bike park. Yeah it's hot, sweaty, and uncool, but f it....I crash way too often and way too hard.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
I get a kick out the people poking fun with the "turtle suit" comments. Back in the late 90s and early 2000s everyone was aspiring to wear the same Dainese "turtle suits" the pros were wearing. If you could afford one you owned and wore one. If you couldn't, you slapped on the best protection you could afford, none of which was nearly as good as the huge variety available now. The pros have lead this charge into unprotected riding:), and for them it may make some slight difference that means a few places in a race result. I think global warming must be kicking in heavily these days since everyone thinks it's so much hotter than it was a dozen years ago. Riding skills must have grown exponentially as well if people think being a little restricted will make them crash.

To each their own though. I've always chosen to wear high-quality, properly fitting armor to the extent I feel necessary. I know it has saved me from a bunch of trouble while also acknowledging that there are injuries that could never have been prevented by any amount of armor. Everyone ride hard, have fun and be safe in the way you feel most comfortable.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I wear a full face, bought a Leatt these days and am now upgrading to pressure suite from TLD (BP 7855). I am also still running hard shell Knee/ shin Protection from 661. Loose rocks and some pedal contacts made the choice easy not to buy knee pads only.
As for the upper protection, I can't see a reason not to wear some protection. Use a light option from 661 or Troy Lee or other companies. You only live once and your body will thank you.
Regarding the elbow pads: Do you know that the nerve for almost the whole hand is going on the outside of your elbow (the ulnar nerve)? If you trash your elbow really hard you'll be out for a long time and will have problems with your hand too.
Hardly only a booboo imo.
So yeah, pads help

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I wear a full face, bought a Leatt these days and am now upgrading to pressure suite from TLD (BP 7855). I am also still running hard shell Knee/ shin Protection from 661. Loose rocks and some pedal contacts made the choice easy not to buy knee pads only.
As for the upper protection, I can't see a reason not to wear some protection. Use a light option from 661 or Troy Lee or other companies. You only live once and your body will thank you.
Regarding the elbow pads: Do you know that the nerve for almost the whole hand is going on the outside of your elbow (the ulnar nerve)? If you trash your elbow really hard you'll be out for a long time and will have problems with your hand too.
So yeah, pads help
Yeah, but you'll crash more...doy. I busted my elbow pretty badly when I was a kid. It was even bike related! I'd rather not repeat the experience.

I have a pair of POC elbows. Comfy, but they're starting to slide on me... Need moar Popeye I guess.

swaussie

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
I see its definitely a matter of preference and what you feel comfortable with - yesterday I decided to ride without my armor and just wear knee and elbow pads (bit of an experiment after reading some comments here) - even though the track could be considered rideable for beginners - I couldnt ride for crap - and I know it was all in my head because I felt naked!

Ive ridden this track dozens of times but I felt like a beginner. I did a second run and just couldnt get myself to hit anything with confidence - I was even starting to take chicken lines... So I went back to the car, suited up and had a huge amount of fun on the next few runs. I imagine if I kept riding without protection I would sooner or later get used to it, but I dont find my armor restricts me, so I am happy to keep using it.

So for me it would seem to be a lot about what makes "you" feel comfortable. I guess there are quite a few riders out there willing to put up with the consequences of not wearing armor (if there are any) - and there seem to be a lot of differences about just how protective it possibly is?

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, the feeling of nakedness really destroys my confidence too.
The other day I was on a xc/trail/biking/all mountain/whatever ride and I forgot my kneepads. I rode really cautious and way worse than normally, even if I used to ride xc without any kneepads just a few months ago.

Also once forgot to put the Leatt on when dh'ing. I noticed it on a lift on a way up, and rode really stiff and with my weight on the rear of the bike cause I was scared I'll go over the bars and faceplant on any minute.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
This.
If you are used to ride with protection you just can't ride without. It scares the sh!t out of me.
Though I forgot once my gloves at home and rode the whole day barehanded, and really liked it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Didn't SKW literally walk away from a wreck that would have paralyzed him had he not been wearing his dainese suit with back protector? That was a pretty convincing argument for protection.

Wear what you're comfortable with. Don't post here when you **** up because you weren't wearing adequate protection and now your season is over. I literally laugh out loud when BMXers kill themselves because they didn't wear a helmet and had to do some stunt. Are you stupid? Do your girl pants protect you from cement now? Just wear the gear and HTFU.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I definitely wear full protection (except Leatt brace) when riding DH. I'm 32, married and have a son. My wife said it best that she can't take care of a baby and me at the same time. "Looking cool" with no protection doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Also... this past weekend at Monkeyfest in Vermont one of us blew out his front tire and crashed hard into a berm. He landed mostly on his right arm and shoulder. If he wasn't wearing his 661 assault suit he probably would have a broken shoulder right now. (see the Monkeyfest thread in the Ride Reports forum for the video)

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
My wife said it best that she can't take care of a baby and me at the same time.
lol I wear my armor when shuttling mostly because my wife gets mad if I come home covered in dirt rash.

Speaking of... can anyone recommend elbow pads for someone with thick forearms. My arms are the right length for larges but they cut off my circulation. XL's are too long for me. I have tried 661 and TLD.

Also... this past weekend at Monkeyfest in Vermont one of us blew out his front tire and crashed hard into a berm. He landed mostly on his right arm and shoulder. If he wasn't wearing his 661 assault suit he probably would have a broken shoulder right now. (see the Monkeyfest thread in the Ride Reports forum for the video)
Not trying to be a Negative Nancy but...

I use a 661 pressure suit (the older one without the elbow/forearm protection) and I doubt those shoulder cups could prevent you from breaking your shoulder or collar bone. They sure have saved me from a lot of scrapes and bruises though.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia

I use a 661 pressure suit (the older one without the elbow/forearm protection) and I doubt those shoulder cups could prevent you from breaking your shoulder or collar bone. They sure have saved me from a lot of scrapes and bruises though.
I normally wear armor. I wasn't, and crashed and broke collar bone and shoulder blade in half. My brain(used to armor)assessed the speed and force of impact, matched it to it's experiences, and said we're good to go, knowing an impact that size would be dealt with by my armor. Wasn't until I went to pick up bike and worked out my arm didn't work that I had to slap my subconscious brain about to let it know we weren't wearing armor and was wrecked.

Last edited:

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
i dont like to wear armor, i do wear it when racing or at ski resorts, otherwise its just full face and gloves. oh and now knee protection since i have a ti rod in my femur that hurts like a bitch when i hit my knee on stuff

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So yeah, pads help
:cool story bro: Broke my Humerus bone and pinched/damaged my ulnar nerve. My fingers and digits are luckily all good, but the top of my forearm up to the elbow is a bit wonky and doesn't have much fidelity to sensation. Pretty odd to burn yourself slightly against an oven and not notice it. :cool story bro:

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
It seems like these days it's jeans and a Leatt. I saw a kid wearing a Leatt with an XC-lid. Like that's gonna work...
Yeah, what an idiot.

I wore it as a joke, since i'm downhiller and not an XC'er, it was meant to be bizarre since I had to coach an employee friend on how to ride the XC trails at the top of the mountain.

Epic, let's take a run next time your here. You know what kit I wear, i'll show you how to ride an "epic" run. Then make sarcastic comments behind a computer screen, yeah. :thumb:

gurterno

Chimp
May 8, 2010
I think the biggest problem with armour is that it's too warm. If it's warmer than 20-25 degrees C it gets difficult to ride with body armour. Feels claustophobic almost.
I'm lucky enough(??) to live in a place where most days in the bikepark are in the 15-20 C range :D On days with bad weather it's really nice to have some padding to protect from the elements.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Using 661 pressure suit as an example of body armor not working is like claiming condoms don't work because your wife knitted you one and now she's pregnant.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, what an idiot.

I wore it as a joke, since i'm downhiller and not an XC'er, it was meant to be bizarre since I had to coach an employee friend on how to ride the XC trails at the top of the mountain.

Epic, let's take a run next time your here. You know what kit I wear, i'll show you how to ride an "epic" run. Then make sarcastic comments behind a computer screen, yeah. :thumb:
Sweet! An internet call-out! What makes you so sure I'm talking about you? Where is "here"? I'm n Yeah, I have no idea who you are.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I wanted to reply to this as there seems to be a lot of older, as well as younger, guys posting their thoughts and opinions on wearing armour.

I stopped riding DH years ago (although now that I'm living in Vancouver again... I'm damn tempted on finding a cheap DH bike and going at it again) and yes, I've noticed in pics more and more people are riding with less armour. I never understood that...although most of the guys here are saying it's because they feel it's bulky, slides around...etc. To each their own.

I gotta say, I started riding DH during the late 90's and early 2000's...during the days of 9" plus bikes, 3.0 tires...you know, the bigger the better... including armour. Anyone remember V-Top armour? Lance Canfield used to wear BMX knee pads and I did that as well...super bulky but protected like crazy. If you had the cash and the means, you would find Dainese armour which was f-ing amazing compared to all the bulky, ill-fitting stuff that was out there. I wore the Dainese Safety jacket and Viking bibs. It fit perfectly, never moved, inspired confidence and was cool to wear. There were days at Bromont where we'd hit beyond 30 deg C and yes, it was hot but once you got rolling, you forgot how hot it was because of the way the armour was made.

Fast forward to today... I'm 34, have a mortgage, have tattoos on both arms and have a job that that requires me to be mobile, be physical and carry equipment. If I get back in DH riding, I'll surely wear armour again.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
The options for lightweight elastic body armour get larger and larger.
Leatt steps in the game and this seems to be pretty legit:

Maybe I wait a bit for this one to replace my old 661 kit.