Quantcast

****Is it really only Sunday?, GMT****

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
damn. I was considering those for my next build. you know anything about the build? what kind of spokes, and how tensionned they were?
I don't know much, but they are a Stans complete wheelset. This one I think - https://www.notubes.com/arch-mk3-wheelset-neo

The tire profile with 2.3 DHF and DHR2 is pretty nice. Hub seems okay.

I don't think I did anything crazy with the wheels, I've certainly hit the same log with my old rims repeatedly (Spank Spike Race28) and never had a problem. Though on the other hand, those wheels were on a bike with a tiny bit more travel, so perhaps a little bit more cushion for them?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I don't know much, but they are a Stans complete wheelset. This one I think - https://www.notubes.com/arch-mk3-wheelset-neo

The tire profile with 2.3 DHF and DHR2 is pretty nice. Hub seems okay.

I don't think I did anything crazy with the wheels, I've certainly hit the same log with my old rims repeatedly (Spank Spike Race28) and never had a problem. Though on the other hand, those wheels were on a bike with a tiny bit more travel, so perhaps a little bit more cushion for them?
hmmmm. yeah, more travel and a much sturdier rim (isn't the Spike a DH rim?)... but still, that's cause for concern.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
hmmmm. yeah, more travel and a much sturdier rim (isn't the Spike a DH rim?)... but still, that's cause for concern.
So looking for new options now, I just noticed that Stans has a max rider weight listed on their site for the wheelset. I'm guessing that is for the rim. The have it set to 230lbs, which if I'm honest with myself, I might be closing in on.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So looking for new options now, I just noticed that Stans has a max rider weight listed on their site for the wheelset. I'm guessing that is for the rim. The have it set to 230lbs, which if I'm honest with myself, I might be closing in on.
I'm on the Flow EX currently. They seem fine. People used to use them for DH so.... I also used to use Spank Oozy 295s. They were fine, but I don't think they were that much better than the Flow EX. And seating tires was sometimes a pain, as was getting valves to seal properly. What's the rim @kidwoo and @mtg keep raving about? DT Swiss 417 or something? That might be worth a look.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Yep, the high end DT rims. We've tried a lot of rims, and keep going back to those.

XM means "trail" and EX means " @kidwoo trail". The numbers are roughly the mass in the lightest config (ie 26" or 27.5").
EX471 is 25mm internal width.
EX511 is the 30mm wide version of the EX471

XM481 is the lighter version of the EX511

IME, the EX471 and 511 rims are stronger than Flow EX. I haven't ridden the Flow Mk3, though.

For the past couple years, I've run the EX471, then this year have been on XM481 is 29. Those with CushCore is my preference, but if you aren't running a bottom out bumper, I'd get the EX471 or 511 rims.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm on the Flow EX currently. They seem fine. People used to use them for DH so.... I also used to use Spank Oozy 295s. They were fine, but I don't think they were that much better than the Flow EX. And seating tires was sometimes a pain, as was getting valves to seal properly. What's the rim @kidwoo and @mtg keep raving about? DT Swiss 417 or something? That might be worth a look.
Just curious, why are you thinking of switching from Flow EX to Arch mk3?

Before I got those Spank rims, I looked at the price of the EX471 rims and pretty much immediately said NOPE. If I recall, they were listed at $200+....granted I would have been given a slight discount, but still.

Been really contemplating this. A new wheelset is $$$$. But if I goto the shop and buy new Flow EX rims and have them relace the hubs, we're probably close to the cost of the wheelset anyways. I HATE WHEELS.

I really wish CRC still had the option to build Hope hubs with rims other than Hope rims.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
$100 per rim, i assume...you’re not gonna find a whole lot cheaper for other rims and few will be anywhere near as good...
This is Canaderp though. Your $100 rim needs to be multiplied by 1.5x, add some 13% tax and some more "tax" for our ludicrous distributors out there in Quebec land.

:busted::busted::busted::busted:

:(

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just curious, why are you thinking of switching from Flow EX to Arch mk3?

Before I got those Spank rims, I looked at the price of the EX471 rims and pretty much immediately said NOPE. If I recall, they were listed at $200+....granted I would have been given a slight discount, but still.

Been really contemplating this. A new wheelset is $$$$. But if I goto the shop and buy new Flow EX rims and have them relace the hubs, we're probably close to the cost of the wheelset anyways. I HATE WHEELS.

I really wish CRC still had the option to build Hope hubs with rims other than Hope rims.
Not really contemplating switching. It's more of a question of when I need to replace them. Arch MK3 are same width as flow ex and approx 80g lighter. I was up hoping they'd be about the same strength...
$100 per rim, i assume...you’re not gonna find a whole lot cheaper for other rims and few will be anywhere near as good...
I figured they were about the same as Stans and Spanks... Guess not. Can you get them at Jenson or crc?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not really contemplating switching. It's more of a question of when I need to replace them. Arch MK3 are same width as flow ex and approx 80g lighter. I was up hoping they'd be about the same strength...

I figured they were about the same as Stans and Spanks... Guess not. Can you get them at Jenson or crc?

Dunno why I remember them being so expensive, but they were shockingly high in the shop catalog...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/dt-swiss-ex-471-mtb-rim/rp-prod161561 $105 which is reasonable.

Those plus Hope hubs would be what I want....if only CRC would build them.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Dunno why I remember them being so expensive, but they were shockingly high in the shop catalog...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/dt-swiss-ex-471-mtb-rim/rp-prod161561 $105 which is reasonable.

Those plus Hope hubs would be what I want....if only CRC would build them.
there’s an awesome wheelbuilder here-have him order and build, send him $, pick up when here in three weeks...pm me if you want me to connect you. he built my ex500s on hopes...8 years ago. nogaswheels.com

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Universal Cycles an option or delivery a no go?
Maybe..... building a set now. Totally forgot about UC. Though they are out of purple Hope hubs, I guess black will do. :brows:

there’s an awesome wheelbuilder here-have him order and build, send him $, pick up when here in three weeks...pm me if you want me to connect you. he built my ex500s on hopes...8 years ago. nogaswheels.com
PLEASE.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
@canadmos : Not sure where you're at with all this... but I just ordered a Flow EX from CRC for $60. They're 25.5mm inner width, and 510 g for 650b. Orders over $75 ship free. I bought an Arch MK3 for the front wheel. 26mm inner width and 425g. I figure as a front rim it should be fine. And Flow EX on the rear should hold up plenty well.

I pushed up my "over the winter" build since discovering the nipples on my my rim have corroded. It started with one broken nipple on the trail. Then as I was fixing it, I noticed at least two other broken nips. I think that's too many to chance a ride... I think I may have driven with it on the rear rack 2x is slushy conditions (so with salt on the roads). Didn't think of rinsing off the salt from the rims. I guess it's time to put the bike inside the car now. :thumbsdown:

I'm still debating whether to simply put new all new nipples on and finish the season out, or whether to cannibalize the King hubs from my Ibis, and get those up and running asap. The main issue being a) it's Christmas and money's tight, and b) I need/want to buy an XD driver for the King hub. But that sonofabitch costs 357 freaking canadian pesos. :monkey: Typing that out has clarified my choices I think. This will be an incremental project. I will replace nipples for now. Order the xd driver later (perhaps on boxing day sales?), and use the bad weather days when I can't ride to build my wheels up myself. That should save some coin. Fuck is this hobby ever expensive and time consuming.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
@canadmos : Not sure where you're at with all this... but I just ordered a Flow EX from CRC for $60. They're 25.5mm inner width, and 510 g for 650b. Orders over $75 ship free. I bought an Arch MK3 for the front wheel. 26mm inner width and 425g. I figure as a front rim it should be fine. And Flow EX on the rear should hold up plenty well.

I pushed up my "over the winter" build since discovering the nipples on my my rim have corroded. It started with one broken nipple on the trail. Then as I was fixing it, I noticed at least two other broken nips. I think that's too many to chance a ride... I think I may have driven with it on the rear rack 2x is slushy conditions (so with salt on the roads). Didn't think of rinsing off the salt from the rims. I guess it's time to put the bike inside the car now. :thumbsdown:
Alloy nips?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Alloy nips?
I have to assume so. Just spoke with my LBS. they tell me in their experience alloy nips have, on average, a 2-year lifespan... This is my first wheel with alloy nips, i'd always had brass before. I said I'd just replace the nips. he said to make sure the corrosion hasn't extended to the rim... this is all news to me. I was thinking of saving the few grams for my next build, but at this rate, I'm not sure it's worth it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I have to assume so. Just spoke with my LBS. they tell me in their experience alloy nips have, on average, a 2-year lifespan... This is my first wheel with alloy nips, i'd always had brass before. I said I'd just replace the nips. he said to make sure the corrosion hasn't extended to the rim... this is all news to me. I was thinking of saving the few grams for my next build, but at this rate, I'm not sure it's worth it.
It's not. ALWAYS use brass nips. I learned this the hard way. :mad: